Mercedes-Benz 600 - original

200sx, Jan 4, 6:29am
How many original 1963-1981 Mercedes Benz 600's would there be in NZ! I am presuming you could count them on one hand! Speaking with a good mate today, and just chatting about cars in general. He told me of his uncle, who "owns this big, long Merc", and then mentions that its a 600. He tells me that when he was a nipper (my mate is in his late 40s) that he always remembers that all the Mercs he saw on the road were a 3something or a 2something, he never saw one with a 600 on the back except for his uncles. When I realised this, we chatted further and confirmed his uncle does indeed have an original Mercedes Benz 600. We believe its an original 67 or 68 model, and not a later "new-generation" example. My thoughts on hearing this were - whats the rego and build/chassis number so we can get some more details on the cars history, what is it insured for, and who has been looking after it for all these years. It is probably a known car to some local Merc dealership or euro garage (you would hope), but the fact that the family didn't really know anything about it makes you wonder what the background is. The owner was recently advised by his doctor to stop driving due to health reasons (which is where the familys interest in his car and his driving began), but the old chap still takes it out every Sunday for a drive. Amazing stuff - hoping to get some more details in the next few days. I suggested to my mate to have it appraised by an expert (or as close to one as you can find), get it valued correctly, and properly insured.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 4, 6:40am
I have never seen one on the road but I have seen a few for sale on here over the years. I have also seen them for sale at the Turners prestige/classic auctions.

I think we have more in NZ than you would realise and I believe Australia has quite a few as well.

Interestingly in one of the pictures of an Auckland warehouse with one for sale there was half a dozen or so in a line. One of the Turners auctions had two from the one owner.

200sx, Jan 4, 6:44am
Interesting - and a good point you make re: not actually seeing them on the road, but clearly there are a few lurking out there in peoples garages and lock-ups.
I've never seen one in the flesh in NZ, hence my curiosity!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 4, 6:49am
Its amazing whats lurking behind closed doors. You don't see that many Model A Fords on the road nowadays either, but I have been to Rally's in NZ where there have been more than 200 in attendance.

Obviously no where near as many 600's as Model A's in NZ but I wouldn't be surprised if we have at least a dozen.

rsr72, Jan 4, 7:00am
There are at least two in NZ, a long-wheelbase one and a 'normal' wheel-base one.

monzaman, Jan 4, 8:47am
The 600 V8 limo is the W108 chassiss model with upright headlights,not side by side,previous mercedes car club president has or had one in south Auckland,heard its engine running,what a meaty sounding engine which is over head cam like the 350,380,420,500 and 560V8 engines.

motorway, Jan 4, 8:57am
Grosser.

the_don_61, Jan 4, 8:59am
That would be the merc engine . Prince (nissan) cut in half and invented the Nissan/Datsun L engine.In the mid 60's.They sound wicked worked at 10,000Rpm.as a V8 it would be much better.I bet the merc V8 goes good.

franc123, Jan 4, 9:06am
Southwards have got at least one, but whether its a S or LWB I don't know.There were about 2200 SWB and 500 LWB made.The LWB versions could also be ordered as a Landauette, which is basically the rear half is a convertible.They carried their own chassis designation from memory, while clearly from the same period as the W110/111 and W108they were not directly based on any of them, ditto the engine was similar in layout to the M116/117 but they didn't I believe share any common parts.You'd want to buy the best one you could get if you could find one, shouting yourself a full on resto would be in the hundreds of thousands, full air suspension and a central hydraulic system like Citroens have, time would not have been kind to these systemshad it been unused for long periods.Even the power windows are hydraulicly operated if memory serves.Funny it ended up being a vehicle with little image and desirability and disappeared unnoticed, theres no doubt it was a technically better vehicle than the competing RR Silver Shadows.

monzaman, Jan 4, 9:08am
I knew that and also datsun used the austin engine before that in '60s bluebird with 1200cc engine,all virtually the same except for hitachi distribuor.Later in '70s nissan had their own V8in the president limo consulate cars.

phalanax, Jan 4, 9:19am
6.3 sel.over and under headlights is right.dark silver.mech injection.i think you could fit chev454 pistons into them.man that owned a merc service garage in parnell had one.self levelling suspension.
he also had an e type there for a while.the good ole days.

the_don_61, Jan 4, 9:43am
Hi, Prince motors were Jap merc agent, they shut down and split up, Nissan got some stuff , Fuji got some stuff (subbies) .hitachi was a part maker, diffs, alt's, etc.
Yes Datsun A engine is a Austin
L engine is a cut up merc V8
Z engine , is a cross flow L engine.
etc.
1st Nissan V8 is a jap copy of a Oldsmoblie V8

Later Nissan v8's seam to be 2x SR20's put into a V8.(sort of thing)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 4, 9:56am
One of these came up in NZ fairly recently as part of a pair from the same owner. It wasn't a genuine Landaulette though, it was a hard top that had been converted fairly early on.
Was properly done though and seemed to retain its value for the most part.

200sx, Jan 4, 10:38am
There is something about these old Mercs that I just love. I think a lot of it is to do with the cars that you grow up around. When I was a lad my dad had 2x W108 Mercs, first a wonderful "lustrous" looking grey 67 250SE, then a couple years later he changed to a beautiful green 72 280SE 3.5. Now that was a car! When all of his mates and work colleagues were driving various Falcons, Valiants and assorted English shitboxes, this 280 Merc with a V8 in it was the ultimate to be picked up from school in. Although, I do remember one of his friends brought a new SD1 Rover V8. All the lads thought it was pretty cool, cos it was just so different, plus it had a V8. It was the first time my dads 280 was no longer considered "coolest car", lol! Although I know what I'd rather have now, and it ain't the Rover!

gooddealz2, Jan 6, 9:36am
I had an SD1 for a short time and it was all I could afford.Definitely must have been a Friday car.I'd love a V8 Mercedes.I was overtaken by one a little while ago and still have memories of the glorious engine note as it went past.

market1, Jan 6, 9:39am
I had not long moved to Australia and saw one, cant remember the colour but it was a stand alone distinctive limo styled merc, never seen one since. It had a large upright rear window almost fit for Royalty. A stunner.

market1, Jan 6, 8:12pm
The Merc I saw was an earlier model to the one in this photo, still a stunning car.

julian.walls, Jan 8, 7:54am
Growing up in the 1960s - The Russian Embassy in Karori Wellington had a Mercedes-Benz 600 Limousine -seen it a few times as a kid ; Heard a story in the 1970s that one was driven off in reverse into the Wellington Harbour by mistake by a Wharfie!

I was told and have a review in my database somewhere that around 2000 were made from 1963 to 1979(Generation 2 no such animal!.largely same car in 1979 as 1963 apart from technical mechanical updates every year) .- 1 -2 models were further made in late 1980s for Sultan of Bruneii but based on the later S class classis lengthened and powered by a 6.9 V8 from the 80s Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 - basically Sultan has so much wealth that almost anything can be made for him - he had 7 Ferrari 456s converted to 4 door sedans and wagons; Bentley Mulsanne R Turbo 4x4 Wagons!some these have ended up in the UK

As for the number here probably around 10 as a good guess are in this country but only 2-3 of those would be Kiwi new (via the embassies) - One person says Australia has more thats true (in fact it was a regular list in Wheels and Modern Motor at the time in back of the mags with their prices)a few of Australian new have been sold overseas in fact a Aussie one always seems to be sale in the british magazines Classic & Sportscar or Classic Cars - Wheels magazine tested one new in 1970

In my lifetime i seen the only 2 NZ new 300SEL 6.3 - Both cars! turned up at my Schools Easter Sports around 1976 in Wanganui - one was owned by Low Family of Hawkes Bay that owned the freezing works up there ; In CHCH i met an old gent at McLeans Island in 1991 who owned a RHD Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 in white

as For Japanese equivalent in quality cars like the Nissan President (these were built in Prince works and hand built)- a TV1 reporter I think Len Johnson owned one for many years ex Japanese Embassy and one day while i was in Lyttleton in 1992 i saw 2 Toyota Century V8s unloaded on the wharf - i always wondered what happened to those! I think they were brown in colour!

US Embassy
My Mum used to work for the US Embassy in Wellington and Joe in 1970s -80s was the main driver -and car of choice was a black 1974-1975 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door hard top 440V8 which was sold around 1988 (last featured in a Kiwi Film!) when Monroe Brown was new appointment he brought over his own car a Lincoln Continental Town Car in blue metallic with silver vinyl leather roof (this still exsists somewhere in Auckland) the car was not as reliable as the big Chrysler according to Joe - My mum retired from the embassy around 1990 and i noticed the US embassy cars are no longer that grand due to budget cuts - Black US built Ford LTDs or Crown Victoriasseem to be main car of choice - although I did see a Chrysler 300C in silver last year with DC plates coming from the embassy

chris_051, Jan 8, 11:37am
Sorry, there is no Japanese equalivent to early S Classes.
There is a Wellington business man, David Blackmore I think is the name, who owns a couple and runs a limo/chauffer type business in Auckland, or did about 5 years ago,
The Phase 3 XY GTHO was unofficially crowned the fastest four door in the world back in 1971, according to Wheels magazine (credibility is questionable when it come to Aussie cars IMO). The W108 300SEL 6.3 was apparantly 2mph slower in top speed (136 v 138) in comparison. The later W116 450SEL 6.9 was launched a few years later and was a genuine 150mph supercar. Not bad for a mid 1970s 3 speed auto luxo barge. There was a W116 6.9 for sale in NZ mid last year. A bit off topic, but I have a soft spot for big old Mercedes. Nothing compares IMO.

gooddealz2, Jan 8, 12:00pm
I think JulianWalls that you should be writng for a magazine rather than magazine reviews.After reading the bit above I'm thinking Classic Driver sounds your style.I'm sure you must have an encyclopediac knowledge and mixed with personal experience it would make for an interesting article each time.

julian.walls, Jan 8, 12:20pm
gooddealz2 thanks for that :)

I offered my services to them and few others to write a column - Beaded Wheels recently said no because they got too many columists but i am very grateful for Kevin Clarkson who approached the board on my behalf (He'a a bloody nice guy) who published a few of my letters and sends me magazine and I lucky to have the CD set ( I myself documented from cover to cover Beaded Wheels 1976-present day while CD goes back to further to 1955)

I am a great fan of Classic Driver - I met Allan Dick once (He did write up a profile on me in issue #18) and we spoke a few times since; in fact quite recently now that he is South Island based and semi-retired . I still keen to work with Wes and I am in regular contact with Jem Thompson who knows Wes quite well .heres hoping.something may happen this year

Thanks again for that .I taken a break for a few days ( I seen to get ill January. every year)be back reviewing soon

Cheers