Remote locking key replacement.

Page 2 / 2
kazbanz, Apr 9, 4:17pm
Where are you getting your information from precisely?

bumfacingdown, Apr 9, 4:22pm
Jamimas aunties cousins next door neighbour heard it at the coffee shop from someone who heard it from a reliable source.

Edited to say they could be referring to what keys use to cost, not just the case they come in, but not sure if they got that bad

blogzy, May 9, 9:07am
key has arrived from AliExpress. For the $3.00 inc postage it looks better than i expected.

john1623, May 9, 5:36pm
It will be rubbish.

intrade, May 9, 5:42pm
well considering the original housing is rubbish to start with also. I have had loads of housings and they are all quite good copys from wish ali banngood

intrade, May 9, 5:44pm
this is probably what i would do if i had one of them crap toyota keys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyDGT1O2t7c

blogzy, May 10, 5:46pm
Exactly, like i say $3 chinese key appears to be as well made as the original Toyota key. ($40)

franc123, May 10, 6:31pm
Those Toyota key shells can be had for about $US7 plus freight and thats for a genuine part from a legit source. Not quite sure what the fuss is about. Buying just a plastic shell from a Onehanglow knockoff source is relatively risk free though its when you need the actual key shaft or the electronic internals is where it becomes a lot more risky.

blogzy, May 10, 9:17pm
$3 includes the key shaft from china.

franc123, May 10, 11:05pm
Be prepared that if you want it cut a locksmith may look at you like you just dropped out of a dogs bottom and may even refuse to cut keys they do not know the product source of. Chinese key shafts are rarely made to the correct hardness specification and can chew up cutting tools. Good luck.

s_nz, May 10, 11:29pm
got my last couple of casings from the local Toyota dealership. each below $40. When I mentioned that I keep breaking them they offered me a much more solid aftermarket one. Never broke that one and sold the car with it.

Sure could have ordered out of china for much less, but buying local was handy, fast and I knew it would work.

franc123, May 11, 12:02am
'Knowing it would work' is critical with keys. I had a car that had a spare chinese key which refused to start the engine and flashed the immobiliser warning lamp whenever you tried to start it when it was below zero degrees outside yet fine when warmer. The issue was confirmed when immediately afterwards you inserted the factory key it would start, the key itself was ok and a new transponder chip and reprogram fixed it. That could have been seriously inconvenient if you were up a skifield somewhere remote. Much of this cheap stuff is rejected product/failed QC yet is sold to unsuspecting punters. Don't go there personally and I handle keys carefully.

kazbanz, May 11, 8:43am
Again as I posted earlier .About that time Toyota keys had a transponder chip sealed into the key head. it just looked like a thicker ribbing for the key. so before doing the switch I'd get the key head scanned.

blogzy, May 11, 5:00pm
My local locksmith had no hesitation in cutting the new key. $10 to cut, so $13 total. Works fine.

franc123, Aug 9, 7:04pm
Consider yourself lucky.