Remote locking key replacement.

Page 1 / 2
blogzy, Apr 7, 8:11am
Unfortunately aftermarket remote key shell replacements listed on t/m are not the same as my key.
Is Toyota NZ my only option for a replacement key shell ? or can I find one cheaper elsewhere.
My remote functions electrically but my shell is broken.

tamarillo, Apr 7, 8:36am
Google is your friend, places in NZ and overseas with heaps of them so something must line up for you.

franc123, Apr 7, 8:44am
So what is the agency price for a replacement shell?

budgel, Apr 7, 9:13am
Bangood, Wish, Aliexpress, Amazon, Ebay; are all online retailers whose sites are worth trawling through to see if they have what you want. Some of them have very slow delivery in the current covid situation, but the prices are unbeatable. If they offer the choice of expedited shipping, for something as small as a keyfob it is probably worth paying extra for.

kazbanz, Apr 7, 9:58am
What is your year/model ? Most automotive locksmiths nowadays have a range of Toyota keys on the shelf.

ian86, Apr 7, 10:02am
Had one done yesterday at Armstrongs locksmiths - an old 2005 Allex - was $68 .

ambo11, Apr 7, 10:17am
I just recently had a new transponder/door lock and unlock for my little Daihatsu runaround (which is a Toyota) cost me $350 all up programmed to car in Palmerston North. Come from Australia. Can get secondhand on here but the crowd that sells them won't guarantee they can be programmed, Well they didn't for me anyway, so there's $100 wasted if so. Never thought of genuine, so try Toyota first. sometimes genuine is cheaper. Like $84 for a genuine Nissan thermostat for my Maxima, versus $200 minimum at ripco and superweak.

intrade, Apr 7, 10:32am
as per above if you want it cheap you better do it your self and take your own risk. mythreadgotdeletedhatimadeabou-
tanticompetitionononews.

blogzy, Apr 7, 12:44pm
2005 vitz

lk104, Apr 7, 1:11pm
$40 plus cutting for a genuine Toyota casing, cheap as!

blogzy, Apr 7, 6:10pm
I thought that also, but apparently mine is different. Mine is segmented into 4 functions not 2. But my key only functions 2 modes, open/close. if that makes sense !

kazbanz, Apr 7, 7:18pm
totaLy understand . You have the heart shaped 4 button head .

blogzy, Apr 7, 8:26pm
Do you know where i can find one ?

peanuts37, Apr 8, 12:21am

bigmacnfries, Apr 8, 7:49am
Have you seen #10?
Have you tried your local Toyota Dealer - thought that would be the no brainer to start with or is $40 above your budget?

blogzy, Apr 8, 8:44am
yes, its an option. if i can find the correct chinese copy for $10 i would take that also.

voyager4, Apr 8, 9:07am
Remember when Fair Go had a case where Toyota were overcharging for replacement keys/remotes. Might pay to remind them.

lk104, Apr 8, 11:31am
What? Do you think $40 is overcharging!

kazbanz, Apr 9, 10:02am
Ive had a lot of success with Phoenix Smart Key Services.
With you being "down there" though its not economical.
Just one thing. Go into your local Automotive locksmith and double check the key head doesn't have a transponder chip in it. -Not the bit that dropps out but the "empty" head. Ive been caught out a couple of times where the chip was bonded to the head and you really couldn't tell.

voyager4, Apr 9, 10:06am
No, they were charging hundreds.

nice_lady, Apr 9, 10:15am
Closer to $1000
And I've read of other cases over $1000
Dealerships take this as a lovely cash cow.

gazzat22, Apr 9, 10:30am
Fortunately we have a locksmith here in Pukekohe who can sell a new key complete, cut and programmed to your car for just over $100.

bigmacnfries, Apr 9, 11:05am
Rubbish! - no Toyota key casings are anywhere near that price.

bigmacnfries, Apr 9, 11:05am
That was for a complete key with transponder. The OP is looking for a key casing which is completely different and cost is $40.00.
You are off topic.

blogzy, Apr 9, 2:21pm
I have purchased the AliExpress model for $3.00. if that doesn't do the job i will pay Toyota nz $40.