Looking for advice

tgray, Jul 12, 8:44am
I think for the price, they are.
Re Honda comparison, I agree with you.

headcat, Jul 12, 10:36am
Snap you neck. No more chatterbox. like was before.

spawnofsatan1, Jul 13, 12:32pm
Ok thanks everyone. $250 approx sound about right for a basic service? I cant view as its in the south island, but ive asked alot of questions, and got pics and getting an AA pre purchase inspection done. I figure if that comes back good i should be able to go ahead with purchase.

spawnofsatan1, Jul 13, 12:34pm
Thanks. its done 100000kms so should be ok fir6 a while then

spawnofsatan1, Jul 7, 12:01pm
Looking at purchasing a 2010 suzuki swift glx manual for our sons first car. Any pros and cons with these cars? Its a nz new

bigfatmat1, Jul 7, 12:36pm
Good reliable cars. Cheap servicing. Cons 1 star safety for your son, boring as, very basic.

easygoer, Jul 7, 12:39pm
Pros, Nice to drive, easy to park, easy to get in and out of, plenty of leg room and head height, cheap to run,
Cons, Poor safety rating, small boot/luggage area, 1240cc motor a bit under powered when air con in use, small wheels are noisy at highway speeds.

I bought a 2010 Import auto for my Son to learn to drive and used it as a daily driver, once he got his license and started taking the car to work I missed driving it, if the safety rating isn't an issue I think they are a good choice but if buying one again I would go for a bigger motor

spawnofsatan1, Jul 7, 12:47pm
Thanks not overly worried about the safety rating as its safety rating was good in 2010, its only 1 start in comparison to todays standards. Its a 1.5 manual, so should have more get up and go than an auto

msigg, Jul 7, 1:10pm
Good little car, ideal for all the city running . Good reliability. Go for it.

thunderbolt, Jul 7, 1:21pm
Wife had that exact model, great little car that gave us no issues at all.
Used about 50% less fuel than the 1.8 Astra it replaced.
Only sold it because she found little cars get intimidated on Auckland's motorways.

kazbanz, Jul 7, 1:38pm
Pros - Cheap servicing costs.Reliable chain drive engine. Easy to sell later.
Cons -You are paying Suzuki tax (extra for the badge) , For northland a bit harsh to drive being a small car-not limited to swift. low safety rating for basic models.
I would suggest going up ONE body size. Mazda Demio/3, Toyota Runx/allex/corolla or similar. --that's based on your location being northland.

kazbanz, Jul 7, 2:56pm
The swift in that size vehicle has always been a better seller than any of the competition. They are a very popular car. Because of that you find they are more expensive to buy than directly competing vehicles. Let alone slightly bigger.

spawnofsatan1, Jul 7, 5:52pm
Thanks but its for my son who is moving to blenheim, so not going to be driven on northland rds

intrade, Jul 7, 6:19pm
is that still the case i noticed f. w.ts cut you off as if you where not there no problems with my mb140 van. Today on my way home to finally file the tax return a id. ot in a bmw came around the corner i could hear his tyres over my diesel engine I was thinking hmm if he hit me i would be late to file the tax return and get a fine . i am sure nothing much would have happend to me i would have rammed him or her in to the bush with a 6mm steel pipe chassis and 2.8 tons .
"ps geez i had 2 warsteiner i am instantly pi$$d now since i dont normally drink be a early night i guess.

bwg11, Jul 7, 6:23pm
A nz new 2010 may be either a second generation (2004-2010) or a third generation (2010-2017). Both could be recommended, but make sure you are not paying a gen 3 price for a gen2. Being a 1.5 manual makes me think it is probably a gen 2.

bigfatmat1, Jul 7, 6:27pm
sounds like car salesman talk. My daily is a 08 suby and has a 4 star standard in last year's ratings.

intrade, Jul 7, 6:40pm
ancap is bs at the best of times . its like hotels 3 stars only if you have a sauna and a pool you get 5 stability control aint going to do jack if you get hit in to the side. piss poor tyres would potentially not roll, you in this case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZkEoYoXaX4

franc123, Jul 7, 9:06pm
Honda Fit and Jazz are smarter designed and better built vehicles than Swifts. May be more difficult to find in manual compared to the Swift though. As mentioned above do good research on asking prices to ensure you're not paying too much, I'm not sure why any sort of an unofficial "tax" premium should apply to a Swift, it's highly debatable that they are somehow the best all round buy in that market.

afer_daily, Jul 11, 7:31am
it doesnt matter how many stars your ride has / when you get hit by an 18 wheeler thats when it hurts >

pettal, Jul 11, 10:01am
good wee cars , cheap to run and maintain , plenty of go been 1500cc and manual , easy to bling out and individualize as he will want to do no doubt .

sweetgurl108, Jul 11, 6:02pm
Water pump might need doing around 150-160km + O2 sensor shortly after.

slarty45, Dec 24, 5:41pm
There is a reason why they are so popular, they function reliably for a long time.
The only fluids my 115,000km 08 Sport ever needs is washer fluid.
Mechanical bits still feel tight. Bummer about the dash rattle.