Getting film of car polish off a windscreen?

Page 2 / 2
kazbanz, Sep 7, 7:53am
Forgot to add. You will need to clean the wiper blades as a minimum as well

kazbanz, Sep 7, 7:57am
Because it makes the black/ grey plastic bits and the tyres etc look nice and shiny. you also get cross contamination --same rag used for two jobs or even the window cleaner bottle filled using the funnel just used to fill them silicone. You THINK you have taken it off but theres still a residue.
Gwan--ask me how I know :-)

lythande1, Sep 7, 8:21am
Jif.

rj-001, Sep 7, 12:56pm
I would try neat windscreen washer fluid applied with a rag

nice_lady, Sep 7, 2:03pm
Ah was thinking of RTV Silicone.

nice_lady, Sep 7, 6:14pm
I'd be very interested in a viable resolution to this problem. We've had this a couple of times when Hubby put one of the cars thru the BP carwash and did the 'wax' option. It came out looking lovely but at times, particularly in the morning I think you can see the coating almost better than you can see the road. Even tho he tried many things, including elbow grease, the main thing that seemed to get rid of it was time. Prefer something quicker.

gunhand, Sep 7, 6:20pm
Wax and grease remover. Available at repco but more expensive than Auto paint shop. Go see your local auto painter and ask if you can buy a small amount.

awoftam, Sep 7, 7:09pm
This has been a really interesting thread - and not just because I asked the original question. It's been great to hear ideas and thoughts; so thank you all.

nice_lady, Sep 7, 7:36pm
Do come back and tell what you use and if it's successful.

kazbanz, Sep 8, 9:03am
Umm yea ok. --that's used to glue the bits together that the clumsy sods broke.

bryshaw, Sep 8, 10:03pm
Glass repairers use a cleaning fluid when they repair chipped screens. Very fine steel wool (000) rubbed on dry may work, but try a small area first.

barrie2, Sep 9, 7:00am
Do you have windscreen replacement on insurance?
If so drive around Rotorua’s several ‘roadworks’ sure to get a few stone chips on screen.

awoftam, Sep 9, 7:43am
Ha ha.I do actually have a chip in the screen that means I probably won't get a warrant this year; they passed it last year, gawd knows how.

pauldw, Sep 9, 8:02am
Get the chip looked at. We had one that turned into a crack just after Vero ended excess free glass cover.

socram, Sep 9, 4:12pm
The mobile screen fitter who has done my classic cars for years, uses kerosene.

dutch9, Nov 22, 10:51am
Water spot remover .