Advice please on non compliant headlights

Page 1 / 3
trackim, Mar 10, 7:46am
I purchased a high spec ute loaded with aftermarket package - mags, tints, flares, nudge bar, racks and LED headlights etc. This is a 2018 ute purchased with 6000km on the clock in late 2018, second owner, and through the franchise dealer that sold it new. I have just taken it for its very first warrant (had 3year WOF from new - 2018) and has failed due to headlights not able to be adjusted correctly (testing station). I then took it to our local franchise dealer (we live 4.5hrs away from franchise purchased from) and indeed it is non compliant and should never had a WOF with those lights. Have contacted selling franchise by phone and followed up with email, including all supporting documents, and have had an offer to send me factory lights.
I purchased the vehicle because of the extras so is it unreasonable to expect it to be rectified to that standard? I have researched the lights in question and no problem with the LED style lights re WOF, just the particular type fitted. The other issue is the fitting of them - the whole front of ute has to come off to be able to replace them. Taking Ute back to dealer is not an option as it now has no WOF!
What's my next step?

tgray, Mar 10, 7:53am
Tell them your predicament and they will hopefully offer a solution.
If not, then we can advise you on your next step.

curlcrown, Mar 10, 7:55am
So you purchased the ute from the Dealer second hand? Was the wof more than 28 days old when you bought it?

mrfxit, Mar 10, 8:24am
Purchased roughly 6mths after first sale as brand new & still on it's first reg 3 year wof
Balance of new car warranty would have gone with it.

Speculation but very possible .
I suspect this may have been a financial problem with the original buyer (from brand new) that had fitted all the goodies then run out of cash.
The original dealer wasn't told about the headlights & just did a downgrade tradein.

Regardless,
Being that it was sold by a dealer franchise network from New & first sale s/h, I would have expected in this case, to be fully covered by the franchise regardless of where you live but obviously returned to the nearest franchise dealer workshop for repairs.

pdc1, Mar 10, 8:43am
You are allowed to drive to a place to get those lights repaired / replaced.
Also think over what curl crown said. I suspect that the dealer did not get this wof required by law. (6 months + 3 years would not have you looking for a WOF on a 2018 vehicle yet)

franc123, Mar 10, 9:00am
They need to be completely paying for it to be brought up to WoF standard, it's not acceptable to be just posting you some replacement lights and having to sort it out yourself, if lack of adjustments is a problem it clearly wasnt checked by the numpty that fitted them. Unless the accessories (including things that you don't actually need like LED headlights) are manufacturer approved, ie genuine branded accessories, they shouldnt be being fitted to vehicles still under warranty anyway. If you have problems with a vehicle and it gets established that the issue with it was directly or indirectly caused by an aftermarket accessory, any claims will be at your cost. They all take a dim view of modification and justifiably so, dopey things like fitting 22" alloy wheels to these trucks that are not of comparable rolling radius to the OEM wheels that cause either NVH or drivetrain management problems are a problem for service depts. Trouble is you are up against ignorant salesmen who seem to be oblivious to both warranty and legal obligations of what mods they're selling to equally ignorant vehicle buyers.

absolute_detail, Mar 10, 9:01am
With regards to it needing a wof less than 28 days old what happens when a 1 year old vehicle is sold, does it need a new wof and would it be only issued a 1 year wof even though the current one would still have 2 years until it expired

tony9, Mar 10, 9:36am
Assuming the wof problem clearly existed at the time of purchase (I think the dealer has acknowledged that).

In writing (email is fine) tell the dealer they have 7 days to fix it or you will reject the vehicle. You don't have to take it back, that is the dealer's problem.

curlcrown, Mar 10, 9:55am
It would still require a new WOF, if being sold by a dealer, but the expiry date would remain the same in that case.

curlcrown, Mar 10, 9:57am
How is the dealer expected to remidy it if they don't have it? It may well be that VTNZ is incorrect, it has happened before.

vtecintegra, Mar 10, 9:58am
I'm skeptical whether there will be any compliant LED housing available for a late model ute which are not factory fitted. And it's probably impossible (or at least impractical) to fit the factory system from a higher trim level as there is way more to a modern adaptive LED system than just the light housing itself.

intrade, Mar 10, 10:00am
bullbars are banned in europ due to the fact they change how airbags deploy and how the vehicle folds up potentially differently.
This subject is quite complex and potentially just as much bullcrap as ancap crash testing.
or the banning in this country of all led headlight bulbs. when the narva ones did meet the requirements of all demanded aspects like no blinding correct beam forming etc.
i somehow recall comedian cadogen mention the aftermarked addons on new cars will fail the inspection come time. for stralia this would have been. raise-kits bull-bars etc .

trackim, Mar 10, 11:51am
Thanks, yes I’ve given them all details and their offer was to send me the stock lights. No mention of installation at this stage.

trackim, Mar 10, 12:12pm
es purchased from the dealer secondhand (less than 6mths old from new - same dealer that sold it new). WOF still had 2.5yrs left on it. Not reissued, but did have their 100 point inspection sheet with ticks in every box.
Cheers

trackim, Mar 10, 12:16pm
Thanks, I’ve also taken to our local franchise dealer and they confirm (and have shown me the issue). They were never compliant nor could ever be.

trackim, Mar 10, 12:17pm
Thanks, this is the top spec vehicle.
Cheers

3tomany, Mar 10, 12:23pm
My son had a mechanic that could not get his after market lights to adjust through the WOF thing but a mate of mine managed to work it out and it then passed inspection. Just because one inspector says it will not adjust does not mean another might work it out.

intrade, Mar 10, 12:43pm
audi needed factory scantool to adjust headlights in mid 1990s already

curlcrown, Mar 10, 1:16pm
Okay, It seems the original dealer does acknowledge the problem, this is an example of why the WOF should be updated at the time of sale even if the car is only six months old, the problem was avoidable, but that doesn't help you now. It does seem surprising that they would fit non compliant head lights but if another farnhcise dealer says the don't comply then maybe VTNZ was right. What was the exact reason for rejection? Are the lights out of alighnment? The only problem you have in getting a reselution may be your unwillingness to take the car back to them, although you should be allowed to take it to another dealer of the same franchise. Before you go to to much bother though I would suggest showing it to another WOF inspector for a second opinion.

trackim, Mar 10, 2:29pm
Thanks, yes I’ve already had second opinion, the lights can not be adjusted to comply - it also wasn’t a VTNZ station to start with, but AA. The second was my local franchise dealer who do all my work. I don’t know if the dealer fitted the lights or the first owner - that makes no difference to me as this is how I bought it from the dealer. They is no argument the lights are non compliant and I’ve also been shown the issue. Taking vehicle back is also not an option. For a start that dealer is 4.5hrs away (that is a 9hr round trip). Second, they delivered it to me as it is, third, it now has no WOF do I can’t drive it anyway!
Thanks for your input.
Cheers

evotime, Mar 10, 3:03pm
All 3 big dealerships I worked at in the past 10 years always updated the wof when near new vehicles were traded they often end up with the same expiry but the wof requirement has been met.

Often the pre delivery and wof is done before all accessories are fitted so a standard vehicle is wof’d then gets mags, tints etc elsewhere not always by the avi that did the wof.
The dealer has a couple of options transport it back or pay the other service agent to fit them.

There are a number of dealerships that have a common owner throughout the country, your best bet is email the dealer principal that you purchased from directly don’t bother with the salesman.

I’d be interested to know the model of Ute and what aftermarket headlights you found to fit.

tony9, Mar 10, 3:15pm
Delivered As Is means nothing unless the dealer stated that it could not get a wof and was sold for parts. Even then, the dealer would have to deregister the vehicle and make it quite clear that it is selling for scrap value. A Dealer is not allowed to sell a vehicle in an unroadworthy condition, only to another dealer.

That the dealer is 4.5 hours away is not your problem. It is the responsibility of the dealer to correct the issue at no further cost or inconvenience to you, or to refund the price paid.

kazbanz, Mar 10, 3:21pm
Trackim--FIRST point. ALL used vehicles sold by a dealer are required by LAW to have a WOF that is LESS than 1 month/28 days old.
That isn't something that is negotiable
You also purchased the vehicle from the franchise dealership on the understanding that the equipment fitted was 100% legal.
There is no grey area here. It is VERY clear cut.
Frankly the MVDT would/will have an absolute field day with this one.

trackim, Mar 10, 3:35pm
Sorry I used wrong term. They delivered to me 'as is' - referring to the fact it was delivered completely as it was fitted with all the extras and carrying the full warranty.

trackim, Mar 10, 3:49pm
kazbanz wrote:
Trackim--FIRST point. ALL used vehicles sold by a dealer are required by LAW to have a WOF that is LESS than 1 month/28 days old.
That isn't something that is negotiable
You also purchased the vehicle from the franchise dealership on the understanding that the equipment fitted was 100% legal.
There is no grey area here. It is VERY clear cut.

Thanks kaz, this is what I wanted clarified before I go further. So the 100 point check done prior to me taking delivery means nothing if it hasn't been retested for WOF within the 28 days prior to delivery? Even if the existing WOF had over 2.5 yrs to run?
Would you think I'm unreasonable to push for the aftermarket style lights (compliant ones of course) or just accept stock. The reason I purchased this
particular Ute was because of all the extra bells and whistles and paid accordingly. If I wanted the stock ute, that's what I would've bought in the first place.
Really just wanting to know what my rights are 2.5yrs years after purchase.
Cheers