Need boat advise please

Page 2 / 2
mrcat1, Dec 22, 8:08pm
Whoever took the photos is a numpty for that listing.
Problem with older fibreglass boats is Osmosis in the hulls, they are heavy, get chipped or marked at the jetting or in use then look like sh!t.
Same as painted alloy boats, once they get a few marks they look like sh!t.

msigg, Dec 22, 10:09pm
Yes to answer your question thuntzster, the boat looks good, cheap enough, looks like the motor has done 430 hours, yea it will do that, it is an older set up, you get what you pay for, looks like it will sell very fast, yea good its had fresh water use, always a bit of a gamble with older outboards, but comments sound positive, you could get an engineer/outboard mechanic to go over the motor, hull looks good, trailer looks ok, mind you everything looks good in a photo, you need to go look for yourself. good luck.

bwg11, Dec 22, 10:40pm
Thuntzster, In my opinion, listing #2905536961, is the sort of thing you should be looking at. The Warrior is locally built in Christchurch and are a well thought of hull. The fresh water only use is a big plus, particularly in a boat of this age.

Just my opinion, but I would look for something a bit newer. You will more than likely get back more than the difference when you sell as in 10 years time this Warrior will be an old boat.

mrcat1, Dec 22, 11:41pm
Youve made no mention at all off the possibility of Osmosis in that hull, had you thought of that?
And the listing claims 80kph, thats 44 knots, I very highly doubt that could do that speed.

s_nz, Dec 22, 11:51pm
Personally I haven't had an issue with it. Main issue I have had with older fiberglass boats is them going soft, but that is less of an issue in powerboats than yachts. I think that other parts of the package like engines, steering, trailer etc are more likely to cause issues.
I guess OP should Inspect the boat for Osmisis blistering / pimpling prior to purchase.

Regarding the top speed, I find that plausible. Our childhood Tristram 550SS, also with an 150hp v6 evenrue 2 stroke would do over 80km/h lightly loaded in calm conditions. Our boat was a little sleeker, but I don't think that would make much difference.

Now the claim that the engine is as-new I don't find to be plausible.

Personally I am a big fan of modern 4 strokes & Etec engines, multi roller trailers & windscreens that are transparent. But for OP can't get all those things for their budget unless they go for a quite small boat. (which actually could be a good idea depending on how many people they need to carry and if they need to pull up a single skier).

tygertung, Dec 23, 8:02am
I've done several thousand hours sailing in small boats, so I know all about sea conditions.

I've done a couple of trailer yacht regattas at Lake Avimore where 40+ knot winds have come up, and sure, the waves do get up a bit, but should be quite manageable in a small boat as long as you show a bit of seamanship. You don't have to be going absolute maximum speed in rough conditions.

My wife and I did some cruising in a sunburst (3.5m) up in the Abel Tasman, and when it got up to 30 knots or so the waves got up a bit, but the boat handles it fine.

Remember, bigger isn't always better. Smaller boats tend to be like corks and can be less likely to sink.

thuntzster, Dec 23, 7:38pm
Looking at lake conditions rather than sea.

mrcat1, Dec 23, 8:29pm
I have a 7m Southern Boat with a brand new Etec 225hp HO sitting on the back of it, a bit of time has been spent on getting this to go and it only does 96kmh, 52knots by two GPS systems.
I think thats speed has been taken off the speedo which I find are usually not that accurate.

tim41, Dec 24, 6:29am
considering the seller couldn't even clean the thing before taking the sale photos id be a bit weary of the maintenance done on it, if you buy through a dealer you'll at least get a 3 month warranty and it will have had a service

s_nz, Dec 24, 6:11pm
While a 225hp engine is more powerful than a 150hp one (and the old engine may have lost a little power with age), your 7m boat is quite a bit larger than a 5.5m. Also from the brand, it likely has a hardtop which adds quite a lot of wind age. Most drag in boats is exponential too. Going 96km/h on the water takes a lot more energy than going 80km/h.

It is possible that the speed measurement is off, but unless proven otherwise, 80km/h is quite feasible top speed for a 5.5m boat with a 150hp engine.

mrcat1, Oct 6, 9:02am
Its a soft top, and is on a single axle unbraked trailer so it aint that heavy, I would think only a 1/4 of the weight of the fibreglass boat's weight more, and the southern is also a fast hull.
And the other tell tale which I would have expected you to pick up on is my 225 is a HO engine, High Output!
Shop claims they are in the vicinity off 270-280 horsepower, so basically double the horsepower of that 150.
I still stand by my statement that I dont think that glass boat can do anythying like 80kmh, I'm thinking 65-70 with a tail wind.