Cars that are never seen any more.

Page 7 / 7
zak410, Jun 23, 2:16pm
Saw a Sherpa today, not the Bultaco, the horrible van.

muzz67, Jun 23, 5:04pm
Was an extremely tidy one, AA badge in grill, here in Nelson untill very recently. Hope it's ok.

muzz67, Jun 23, 5:05pm
1850, and 16L Galants, and GTOs too. Were there ever any genuine 70's GSR Galants here?

ebygum1, Jun 23, 5:23pm
There is one of those around Waikato, black and white, roof lights, M.O.T. logo on the doors. I see it quite often.

mojo49, Jun 23, 5:38pm
The Australian assembled Tasman and the Kimberley. (Land crabs)

floydbloke, Jun 23, 6:54pm
Was that here in NZ?
They were common as muck in Holland in the 70s when I was growing up. Came here in 81 and don't recall seeing a single one (maybe they had all died their death by then).

laurelanne, Jun 23, 7:17pm
Yes muzz67. Around 1972 Todd Motors imported Jap assembled GSR Galants. They looked the part too. I liked the mention of the Mitsi V3000. A car that arrived with a hiss and a roar. More tow than an Aussie tank.

ssom1, Jun 25, 4:44pm
There's a reason for that, you can once again buy a Vauxhall Viva from the showroom (Disclaimer: It is actually a rebadged Holden Spark, but eh)

I am probably a bit younger than most, being in my mid-30's, but the cars from the late 90's that I remember being everywhere, but now gone or rapidly thinning:

- Nissan Primera P10 (and the P11 for that matter)
- Honda Accord pre-98 (CD models are still relatively common, but rapidly thinning)
- Toyota Corona (All generations, incl Premio)
- Nissan Bluebird (All generations)
- Peugeot 405 and 306
- Pretty much any Daihatsu that's not a Sirion
- Rover 200/400/600 Series

One car that surprises me with how often I see it is the Mk I Opel/Holden Vectra. By all rights they were absolute crap and most should be long gone by now, yet somehow I still manage to see them at semi-regular intervals.

supernova2, Jun 25, 5:13pm
Got passed by a Subbie ute yesterday. Didn't think that any of those would still be driving about. Even though it was white it looked quite tidy.

ema1, Jun 25, 6:05pm
BLMC in UK made Austin/Morris and Wolseley versions of the Kimberly/Tasman set up but a more 1800 Mk2 looking car, built a year or two after the Aussie cars.
They used a similar 2200cc 6 cylinder engine pretty much the same as the ones the Kimberley/Tasman X6 cars had. Austin/Morris 2200 and Wolseley 2200-6 they were called.
Link. scroll down about half way to see them .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMC_ADO17

socram, Jun 25, 6:24pm
Quite a lot of cars missing. Cox-GTM, HRG, Gordon Keeble, Invicta etc., just from a quick look. It is not an official site.

Only 1 Gumpert yet I saw one in the London Car museum 2016 and I would have thought there would have been more than 1 in the UK. Maybe not.

rua69, Jun 25, 6:48pm
A mate had a yellow one he called the Yellow Peril.
"CF it starts!"
"CF we get there!"
"CF we get home!"
And my favourite, which really did happen: "CF we can push it through the intersection". We needed help from a couple of pedestrians. lol.

jrlaw, Jun 25, 6:52pm
Was there not one powered by R/R engines?

kdcentralni, Jun 25, 7:01pm
Most of the telstars are gone even the last of them right up until 96 the radisich lol, the u11 bluebirds are all but gone as well shame the derby boys got hold of them. 20 odd years is hard on a car that’s for sure.

franc123, Jun 25, 7:18pm
Overheated motors and autos that gave up killed most of those Telstars that were obviously not written off in crashes, rust was never any major issue with them. Owners generally got their moneys worth with those cars.

franc123, Jun 25, 7:27pm
Yep, BL were clearly happy with the concept despite it's Australasian failure, it was probably cheap to make due to the Aussies doing much of the development work for them. The 6cyl option was carried over into the Princess too. Interestingly it was only after the release of that car that Ford UK decided to offer a similar sized V6 option in the Mk4 Cortina despite it's German engineering sister the Taunus having that option in a few different capacities for many years.

rbd, Jun 25, 8:01pm
Cause they are fugly.

2sheddies, Jul 20, 5:40pm
Haha, it sounds funny now aye, but all that stuff was a pretty regular and fairly normal occurrence not too long ago. Heading out the door in the morning thinking, "hmmm, wonder if the car will go", having to warm it up for 10 mins before it would be driveable without sputtering and stalling, breaking down in the middle of the road or the supermarket carpark etc etc. Nowadays everyone's spoilt with all the modern computer controlled gadgetry that very rarely gives any of those olden day problems. (not to say they don't have any expensive problems of their own of course!) Mind you, some of us still drive the old crap too and love it lol. At least when/if they do bugger out, any half pie handy bloke with some basic tools can get it going again.