2 stroke truck diesel engine

Page 1 / 2
serf407, May 25, 6:32pm

tweake, May 25, 6:39pm
there is a few companies working on versions of this.
its basically a flat engine so i'll guess it would fit. big question on fitting all the addons.
however will they? probably not because the big claim with those engines is fuel economy and thats not a huge deal in small vehicles like it is with trucks.

stornello, May 25, 7:02pm
Reinvent the TS3 ? I'm all for that. just for the sounds.

intrade, May 25, 7:41pm
To big tall for anything other than big trucks

mrcat1, May 26, 12:30am
The OP is the king of copy and paste.

intrade, May 26, 12:02pm
it does not matter better to have 100 threads of the same as they get auto deleted anyhow.
While i did try to google the 2 stroke prototype in my diesel book i found this. Nothing is new its all old and toyota did not invent no hybrid or anything either.
https://ranwhenparked.net/2013/01/08/a-look-at-the-1982-mercedes-benz-w123-plug-in-hybrid/

intrade, May 26, 12:13pm
Also found this its also old tech that did not work back then. But then they had no electronics to optimise injection just carburettors when the opposed piston engine was once produced and faded quickly again.
The problem of a 2 stroke is how to expel emissions . As you get 2 times the power output as it fires on every stroke unlike a 4 stroke with an empty exhaust stroke= power lost to expel exhaust gas.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/871091/four-cylinders-eight-pistons-and-no-valves-meet-cummins-new-1000hp-tank-engine/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposed-piston_engine

intrade, May 26, 12:30pm
Detroit and Krupp are the only 2 Diesel 2stroke that i know was sold in vehicles for anyone. Emissions killed all efforts for the 2 stroke to date.

tygertung, May 26, 1:29pm
Direct injection 2 stroke solves the emissions and fuel consumption issue (aside from burning oil), however it is difficult to inject the fuel fast enough I believe as there isn't a great deal of time when both the intake and exhaust ports are covered, from what I understand.

tweake, May 26, 2:06pm
there is horizontal versions.
with modern diesels the engines do not have to be big capacity.

it would be interesting to see how they did the oil system on the vertical version with one piston being upside down. radial engines have issues with oil leaking past the rings when engine is off, which is why they tap the engine over to make sure the combustion chamber is not filled with oil, and probably why they blow a ton of smoke on start up.

intrade, May 27, 9:36am
The more travel a piston has the bigger the efficiency. Diesel pump the piston the longer time it has to pump the cleaner it can burn.
For a 2 stroke even more important to have time for inlet exhaust changes.

tygertung, May 27, 12:10pm
Longer stroke means less room for valves though, that is why all high performance engines are short stroke. However this engine is using ports, so different story.

tweake, May 27, 1:15pm
long piston travel gives better efficiency but suffers from high piston velocity.
there is a limit how fast the piston can go due to material strength. so typically you get lower rpm limits with long stroke pistons.

with opposing pistons you double the expansion volume without increasing the stroke. hence the higher efficiencies of a long stoke but without the high piston speeds.

2 stoke suffers more trapped end gas which is basically egr. of course modern diesels use large amounts of egr anyway.

stornello, May 27, 6:52pm
A 2 stroke diesel uses a blower to scavenge, best case is clean air blowing out, in real life it won't happen. The Foden engine used an alloy exhaust manifold, so the scavenge must've been pretty good.

paul861, May 28, 8:36am
please explained the less room for valve thingy, i'm not sure you know what youre on about

westwyn, May 31, 12:15pm
Foden had a line of 2-stroke diesels in the Fifties and Sixties, also the Rootes Group with the Commer / Karrier knocker engines, also Hino in Japan had a line of 2-strokes, some of which made their way in to New Zealand in the late Sixties with the Rhino and Tasker UD trucks.

jmma, May 31, 12:34pm
What! Doesn't matter what the stroke is, piston still will only come to the top of the bore.

philltauranga, May 31, 12:35pm
Junkers Jumo 205

blogzy, May 31, 1:47pm
Wider bore, wider valves ?

jmma, May 31, 1:53pm
And?

tygertung, May 31, 1:59pm
If the bore is narrow, there is only room for narrow valves. If the bore is wider, wider valves can be used and the valve area goes up quite quickly as the diameter of the valve increases.

Read "Four Stroke Performance Tuning" by A. Graham Bell.

https://books.google.co.nz/books/about/Four_stroke_Performance_Tuning.html?id=OTOYHRSX_XcC&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

I have read it several times as I used to race motorbikes and would do quite a bit of engine modifications.

marte, May 31, 4:53pm
Would these normally be turbo or super charged engines so the port size wouldnt matter so much?

tweake, May 31, 5:19pm
the 2 stroke diesels are supercharged. 2 stroke petrol uses exhaust tuning to suck air into the engine. the diesels use a supercharger to do the same thing (blow air in and push exhaust out)
however port size still matters a lot.
compressing air costs a lot of power so it makes no sense to use under sized valves and increase the pressure to get enough air in there, unless you have to.

of course they often used turbo as well as supercharger.

tygertung, May 31, 6:20pm
Port size is very important for engine performance.

For more information on port size in two stroke engines read "Two-Stroke Performance Tuning" by A. Graham bell.

I've read it many times as I have mucked around with a lot of two stroke motorbikes and scooters.

https://books.google.co.nz/books/about/Two_Stroke_Performance_Tuning.html?id=Ij593j28IP8C&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

tygertung, May 31, 6:26pm
This book by Gordon Jennings is good info for 2 strokes. It is out of print but you can get the PDF version for free.

http://www.amrca.com/tech/tuners.pdf