2 stroke truck diesel engine

Page 2 / 2
tony9, May 31, 6:35pm
A modern two stroke diesel engine.

https://newatlas.com/go/3263/

stornello, May 31, 7:15pm
On a 2 stroke diesel the blower is a scavenge pump, the exhaust ports, or valves are still open when the intake closes, unless there is some trickery with valve timing. There is no compression going on. If a turbo is added, then there is some compression of intake air.

tygertung, May 31, 9:19pm
Well I don't think we will see that one replaced with electric any time soon.

marte, May 31, 10:56pm
' Turbocharged two stroke ' lol what was i thinking.
Yep, supercharged in some way would be what they would use.

tony9, Jun 1, 9:04am
The Wartsila-Sulzer in my link above is a turbo-charged two stroke. Precharge comes from an adjacent cylinder compressing on the bottom of the piston.

tony9, Jun 1, 9:07am
Interestingly each of the main hydro turbines at Benmore produce the same output power at about the same speed. I wonder how the propeller size compares with the turbine size.

tygertung, Jun 1, 10:42am
I think a turbine could be smaller as it won't have the tip losses of a propeller.

But the ship, it can't carry enough battery power. Perhaps we need to go back to the golden age of sail? Harness the wind, a much cheaper form of energy.

tweake, Jun 1, 8:08pm
Detroit 2 stroke diesels did have models with turbo's. it still has the supercharger to make the 2 stoke work, the turbo compresses the air before the supercharger shoves it in.

and valved or 'sliding port' (can't think of the name for it) petrol two strokes, even dual adjacent pistons ones, are not "turbo". its basically a form of supercharger. air is sucked into the crank and piston coming down compresses it a bit before the inlet port is open.

marte, Jun 1, 8:13pm
Different shape, about 8-10 feet dia. I used to climb up inside them & slide in between the blades & weld them up. There was just enough room to fit 4 people at the most in there on a wooden platform in the draft tube. Fun job.

https://www.alternative-energy-tutorials.com/images/stories/hydro/turbine.jpg

strobo, Jun 1, 8:50pm
The only thing comes to my mind was the old Detroit 2 stroke truck engine ,smoked like a billy o when wound up,very fond memories ,I'm sure a new type of that engine could be revised ,improved etc . Am not up with it the latest in that but interesting thread all the same.

mrcat1, Jul 31, 5:48pm
Detroit Diesels are all supercharged as they scavenge, but some engines are also turbo charged, some with multiple turbo chargers.