Oil for Toyota Avensis

redamstaff, Aug 26, 9:13pm
Hi all, without sounding like a complete noob, your advice is appreciated.
Awhile ago I purchased a 2004 1.8l Avensis, it has always been meticulously maintained. The time has now come for it's next oil change & while all other services have been undertaken at the mechanics, I have the no how to do this myself. I want to maintain this vehicle well as I travel long distances & while the owners manual does recommend several grades of oil, it would be good to know what fellow NZ owners use in their cars, given that it is chain driven, oil is that lil bit more important to get right imo

intrade, Aug 26, 9:16pm
avensis this could be the oil burner ring problem engine post what engine code it has from carjam.co.nz

redamstaff, Aug 26, 9:33pm
Hi. It has the 1zz engine

franc123, Aug 26, 11:55pm
It would probably be best to continue to use what the garage has been using in it. Look at your paperwork from them to see if it lists the actual brand and grade used, or else ask them.

tsjcf, Aug 27, 7:08am

msigg, Aug 27, 7:12am
Castrol 5/30, 10/40, can't go wrong with that.

tamarillo, Aug 27, 8:31am
I’d agree with this if it had been in your ownership for several years.

redamstaff, Aug 27, 9:56am
thanks guys, I rung the mechanic that has done all it's servicing & will continue to use the same oil that they used in the car :)

tgray, Aug 27, 12:19pm
Which was?

kazbanz, Aug 27, 12:49pm
1800 cc /1zzz engine avensis. Rare beast. Normally they have the 2.0l or 2.4 DGI engine.
But any synthetic 10w 40 or 5 w 40 oil will be suitable.if it is the 1800

clark20, Aug 27, 5:51pm
I would not use full synthetic, CASTROL MAGNATEC FUEL SAVER 5W-30 is good enough

joanie32, Aug 27, 6:02pm
I’m not a fan of major brand oils in NZ.
They make “just in spec” products to meet the local market price.
Google “Rasyn GT 40”

clark20, Aug 27, 6:11pm
Yes, but they are way over spec'ed for a 15 year old car, and what makes rasyn better than Castrol? Just their advertising?

joanie32, Aug 27, 6:29pm
Additive packages can be between 2% and 20% to meet any spec.
The only way an oil manufacturer can reduce price is by cutting corners, and that is exactly what they do.
The product i linked to runs ~18% in every product they make.
I have had analysis done on new oil of another well know manufacture, and the additives were almost nil.
I buy a good product and rely on analysis to determine when a change is required. I have achieved 30,000 miles in old vehicles, so my servicing costs are much lower than most.

rovercitroen, Aug 28, 8:53am
I see the distributor for the Anglomoils is in Huntly where I work. I must investigate further. Thanks.

gazzat22, Aug 28, 12:37pm
The series that gave problems(supposedly) in the USA was the 2AZ.!

gusthe1, Aug 28, 1:36pm
Yeah right!

joanie32, Nov 30, 1:48am
Would you like me to send you the results?
Would you know how to read them if I did?