Buying and selling advice please

Page 2 / 2
totalimp, Jan 13, 7:55am
This. Lol. After our experience with a bloody $30,000 car sitting in our driveway waiting for the dealer to collect it due to shoddy body work

hydroman08, Jan 13, 8:08am
I've done 50k in my 2018 car. Not all high mileage is ex-rental, some of us just have long commutes or like to drive ;)

kazbanz, Jan 13, 9:27am
hang on a minute-that's not really fair on the dealer. They gave you full refund. Its pretty clear they made a bad buying decision from a member of public (no comeback) or via local auction.

dublo, Jan 13, 9:44am
I used to receive the advice not to buy an ex-rental or company car - both could have had hard lives; rentals abused by all sorts of incompetent hirers, and company cars driven like racing cars by young hoon staff members with full throttle and maximum revs in every gear, or their bosses using them to tow boats and not caring whether they backed them into the sea when launching and retrieving!

kazbanz, Jan 13, 10:29am
I was just thinking a bit about your points. I do totally get where the dealer principle is coming from in that you can get totally hung out to dry with the privacy act. But that's by revealing specific information. (the name of the rental crowd) It is not breaching any of the privacy laws to say simply it was ex rental. A salesman on the other hand may very well not know anything about where a car came from but should be able to tell once he asks.So legally we CAN'T tell you specifics.We can tell you general info. One thing we ARE legally required to tell you is if a vehicle was deregistered. That is usually with such a new car substantial enough accident damage to have it written off by an insurer.
Where I personally REALLY struggle is when someone asks me "has it been in an accident ?" -The reason I struggle is that unless we have repaired the vehicle --(or organised it to be repaired) we have no way of knowing if ANY vehicle has been involved in a crash in the past -Bigish or small. Telling the truth -saying "I don't know" rather than the standard reply -NO comes across as slimey.

franc123, Jan 13, 11:55am
Don't do the work then?

franc123, Sep 28, 3:46pm
Company cars that have been under warranty are more likely to have been serviced by the book and driven hot but yes the good points can end there. A couple I know bought a 3yo/60k ex company Maxima from a franchise dealer, the dealer bought it with a new WoF, onsold it within the month and didnt put it through the workshop or update the WoF. Buyer didnt put it through a PPI (buying a late model car from a dealer should be pretty safe right?). 11 months later they took it back to the service dept for WoF and service. failed due to widespread structural rust that was uneconomic to repair! Turns out the bloody thing was a managers car at a fertilizer manufacturing plant and spent most of it's short life coated in urea. Dealer had to replace the car with another one and scrap it. Be careful out there folks.