PPI vs Dealership vs mechanic ?

extrayda, Jan 29, 4:33pm
Hi,

Found a couple of cars (in Auckland) that I am interested in (2012 / 2013 Toyotas).
I'm driving the second one tonight, then likely will decide on one of them.

Question is, would you use a Toyota dealership to check these (both NZ cars), or would you use a third party? Assuming Toyota would even look at it. Another alternative would be the garage I use to service my current car (not specifically a Toyota place).

Last time I had a car inspected I used Car Inspection services (who I was happy with), but that was quite a few years ago, with a much more basic vehicle.
I'm not sure if Toyota would have better scanning tools than a PPI company?

My main concerns are the expensive things such as trans / engine / error codes / Accident damage. I'm not too concerned about scratches on the paint or interior :-).

franc123, Jan 29, 4:47pm
As far as a general PPI goes on something like that, any of those three options is OK. A dealership assessment does have the edge in that they can check for you if any recall action has been completed in the past or if any is due or any warranty work that has been done and possibly service history too. Remember that the agencies have specific scan equipment that is totally approved by Toyota, I'm not sure why you would think anyone else would have access to anything better. I've had aftermarket scan tools that have picked up fault codes, historic or otherwise that did not even officially exist and not pick up things that the genuine one did, as well as not have the ability to detect and communicate with all the fitted control modules in the car.

kazbanz, Jan 29, 6:01pm
In this specific case I would recommend going to a Toyota service centre.
As franc posted- theres a very good chance that the maintainance history will be there for them to see,

clark20, Jan 29, 6:53pm
Yes, the dealer of the car is the best place (if they are not selling it) and you book 1.5 hrs off them to check it out and take the wheels off etc , and they know what to look for.

extrayda, Jan 29, 11:22pm
Sorry, I wrote that badly - I meant whether a non Toyota place would have the full tool set to scan everything (which you have answered).
Sounds like a dealership is an OK option then.

* Thanks everyone for comments.
I'm from an era of Points, Carbs and Drums (and rust) !

If I didn't have kids I would consider old school, but no denying modern cars are so much safer.

franc123, Jan 30, 1:48am
No worries (well hopefully!) Good luck with it

kazbanz, Jan 30, 9:52am
I think the significant point of difference is the very good chance of Toyota having that specific vehicles history.
Curious now--what vehicle are you looking at?

secca2, Jan 30, 5:50pm
I disagree. If you can access the obd port and providing you are not using a toy then all on board ecu's should be available to read.

secca2, Jan 30, 5:52pm
Provided it was serviced from day dot at toyota. What about imported vehicles I see toyota are importing and selling through their franchises.

kazbanz, Jan 30, 6:01pm
you missed it didn't ya? :-) --(BOTH NZ cars)

extrayda, Feb 1, 11:36am
Hi,
Yes, both NZ new.
Kaz - Looking at a couple of Aurions (2011-2013 models). They seem to be decent enough cars, not earth shattering, but go well, comfortable and should be reliable.
I've settled on one of them, just trying to sort out the PPI.
Hopefully it all goes well.

franc123, Sep 19, 8:12pm
Lol that's only in theory. If you've spent any length of time using factory approved gear you quickly realise that the majority of aftermarket stuff really isnt that good when it comes to in depth diagnostics. The thread about the Aqua ESC/traction fault is a classic example of how using the wrong people and gear to diagnose stuff can turn out.