Protective stick-on plastic film

dublo, Apr 19, 4:14pm
Taking the easy way here, after trying the big shops' sites without any luck. I want to replace the clear film which had been applied to the front of the bonnet of our 1999 car when new. It has received a few stone hits which hopefully saved the original paint, but the film does now look a bit battle-scarred. Peeling a little bit away at the tapered ends shows no deterioration of the paint surface. If I peel it all away Murphy's Law will immediately mean a spray of roadworks gravel will hit the bonnet, so I will need to find a source of supply of the clear film and attach it pronto. Anyone know of any suppliers of the material?

philltauranga, Apr 19, 5:58pm
You could try the truck sign writers, they may sell you a measured piece for DIY application.

cabrio1, Apr 19, 8:53pm

dublo, Apr 24, 10:38am
Found a local shop which specializes in stripes, mag. wheels etc, and which can either do the job or sell me the material. I might remove the old film and let them apply the new.

gammelvind, Apr 24, 11:02am
It will be interesting if you have a line of small stone chips at the trailing edge of the plastic. This is what we generally observe at panel and paint shops, end result the bonnet needs a repaint regardless.

muzz67, Apr 24, 11:38am
We pulled the Rhino(?) off last company vehicle we sold, and found a lovely craft-knife cut into the paint where installer had trimmed the edge,, was not impressed.

mrcat1, Apr 25, 9:56am
Sign writers will have it, its a 3M product, I put it on my ute's and machines to protect different areas.

tygertung, Aug 17, 5:11pm
We have some on a car we bought. Real mouldy under and the film is basically impossible to remove.