Manufacturer DATE STAMP on Tyres

Page 1 / 2
hotelcarpet, Jan 15, 10:48pm
It was pointed out to me the Date Stamp showed 2 year old tyres on my bike one day at a group ride. 'Im like where? but never noticed before a stamp on both car and bike tyres. This is a worry as I've been chatting to reputable tyre & bike shop's who say 12 months is the limit. To me as the rider/ driver I'd agree. What age are your tyres?

peanuts37, Jan 15, 10:57pm
Tyre life about 10 years if i remember correctly.

bumfacingdown, Jan 15, 10:58pm
"who say 12 months is the limit"
For what? Surely not for being used?

peanuts37, Jan 15, 11:04pm
10 years or worn out, which ever comes first.

sw20, Jan 15, 11:47pm
The tyre shop has no reason whatsoever to sell you new tyres every 12 months do they?

redhead18, Jan 16, 12:48am
Simple reality is one can NOT resell second hand tyres over 12 months old okies.

nice_lady, Jan 16, 7:43am
Yeah. It's called making a profit from suckers.

andrewcg53, Jan 16, 8:17am
LOL you are being told BS if it was true people would have to buy new tyres every 12 months

intrade, Jan 16, 8:25am
6 years is the date a tyre should not be used 10 years is where it becomes dangerous like the porsche from fast and furios actor who had tyre thread come off as to why he really got killed. porsche say 4 years max is from what i recall. richard mc- cuistian said and he said He seen the official police report of that porsche accident.
a tyre made 1 january 2021 will have 0121 These 4 digits weeks of the year and year. 3 digits would be before year 2000 tyre if you ever see only 3 digits
The days of good quality tyre made from real rubber tree is long gone like the tyres burt monroe had on his bike.

bill-robinson, Jan 16, 8:48am
work from the 'best before' and 'use by' dates just like you would in a supermarket, they know everything. LOL

intrade, Jan 16, 8:56am
read my tyre vibration thread . for more on tyres also

s_nz, Jan 16, 9:34am
For car tires, not bike tires, But Michelin recommends that tires be inspected annually by a professional after 5 years, and replaced regardless after 10 years.

Should note operating conditions likely have an impact. Partially exposure to UV and ozone. Some tires are partially bad. The two year old bridge-stone ecopia's that came on my SUV were showing worrying cracking / perishing despite one pair being 2 years old and other other pair 4 years old.

gazzat22, Jan 16, 12:05pm
Does that include just from NZ or from overseas like Japan.Who and How is it policed? Is TradeMe exempt,just look at listings here and most wreckers? Does it include tyres fitted on imported JDM cars.?

sw20, Jan 16, 12:50pm
Can you link the relevant legislation?

tweake, Jan 16, 12:57pm
we had a stack of old 4wd tires outside. the usual brands where still perfectly fine. the Chinese brand where cracked all over and completely stuffed.

sandypheet, Jan 16, 1:08pm
Have seen tyres on later model cars that are older than the car. Second hand tyres fitted to dealer cars.

gazzat22, Jan 16, 1:31pm
Probably why they were taken off vehicles then.?

gazzat22, Jan 16, 1:33pm
Be either an urban myth or a True rumour,lots of them around. !

hotelcarpet, Jan 16, 3:06pm
Should be a discount related to the oldness though, but It's the budget tyres that have the best date I notice, more of them selling.

intrade, Jan 16, 4:05pm
just like you can tow 100 tousend tons with any car as there is no legislation that it is the load capacity of the towbar. but there is the stopping distance tow law instead for new zealand. There is also no emission laws ther then your not allowed to temper but the test is 10 secound visible smoke test.
if you look at it you would think the country is made by laws of village id!0t$

martin11, Jan 16, 4:14pm
Manufacturers of Cars have a Braked and unbraked tow rating and down load and some cars have a no tow bar rating .

stornello, Jan 16, 4:32pm
It depends on how they were stored. I've got old virgin tyres on my bike, they are supple and grip like new. Not stored well they will harden and crack early. No tyre life rules here, but I always note on a WoF if 10 years old or more.

tweake, Jan 16, 4:38pm
they where worn tires except for the Chinese ones, they had so low traction we replaced them with better tires. so they where some of the newest tires in the stack, yet they where the only ones to crack.

kazbanz, Jan 16, 6:33pm
You are getting really confused. For RACING where you want/ need the very best grip then I agree last seasons tyres just aren't going to cut it. For road use 12-24 month old "new" motorcycle tyres are just fine.

scuba, Jan 17, 12:05pm
tweake wrote:

we had a stack of old 4wd tires outside. the usual brands where still perfectly fine. the Chinese brand where cracked all over and completely stuffed.[/quote

Half the worlds tyres are probably made in China.
Its not about where they are made its about who is making them andwhat technology they have access to and the quality you ask for.
Yes some of them definitely price orientated but have seen many premium brand tyres with sidewall perishing . Use to be common as on import cars and used tyres. Partly due to modern tyre compounds and uv and ozone exposure.