Manufacturer DATE STAMP on Tyres

Page 2 / 2
franc123, Jan 17, 12:38pm
Yeah there was a particular Dunlop tyre made a few years back that was a shocker for sidewalls cracking up after only a couple of years. The model escapes me now but I recall seeing several different vehicles in for WoF's that were fitted with them with the same issue. It may possibly gave been a crook batch of them, who could say.

intrade, Jan 17, 12:48pm
one big problem is there is not enough rubber from rubber tree to make the worlds tyres So almost all are made with alternative substance Unlike the bike tyre Burt Monroe had on his bike would have been made of real rubber tree Rubber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Yy1vihIKs

tygertung, Jan 17, 12:56pm
Latex doesn't last long.

On cars it doesn't really matter if the tyres are a bit old as it doesn't matter too much if the tyres skid a bit. On a motorbike it is much more important to not have excessively ancient tyres as skids are likely to result in a crash.

scuba, Jan 17, 1:16pm
Once upon a time brake shoes were on the outside of the drum . technology and tyres have moved on.
If tyres had to be used within 12 months of manufacture date 30 per cent would be out warranty befor fitment.
Industry standard training in 1990s used to be they were fit for use from the time they left the factory
No need for ‘curing” in theory although a few still do.
Most makers preferred tyres be used within 3 years of manufacture and suggested replacement if outside 6 years of manufacture date . Anything older than 10 years was regarded as dangerous and overdue for replacement.
Of course back then we had contaner loads of new old stock and used tyres arriving from Japan . Many tyres separated treads and failed within months of being fitted to cars even though they had looked brand new but the date codes wre old.

hotelcarpet, Jan 18, 8:05pm
My brothers budget brand have a "0920"(Sep' 2020) date and my car's Bridgestones are 2yrs old."1018"(Oct2018) which I thought were new when purchased before xmas. So it's always best to check the dates "someone else" doesn't mind a bit but lets face it's not them driving or riding the vehicle. If the vehicle was to lose control on a bend it could be one of their own family coming the other way. Buying a new vehicle is exactly that. Food has best use by date But somewhere our life on the road doesn't have a regulation. At the end of the day its driver decretion and did anyone check their tyre manufacture dates today?

saxman99, Jan 18, 8:52pm
The first 2 digits in the date code represent the week of the year out of 52, so 1018 is March 2018.

scuba, Jan 19, 7:09am
Your tyres are fine
The recommendations are just that they are not hard and fast rules.
Remember they want you to wear them out and replace as oftem as possible.

tygertung, Jan 19, 7:28am
Bridgestones are real good, they don't deteriorate like some other brands. I've always had real good results with Bridgestone on my motorbikes.

s_nz, Jan 19, 3:49pm
It will be model specific.

I brought my SUV with bridgestone Ecopia (EP850 if I recall correctly) tires on it. When I took them off, one pair was 4 years old, the other two years old. Both were showing age relateded cracking etc. Worryingly so on the 4 year old set. At the time my other car had bridge-stone Turanza's, which were showing no age related cracking despite being older than the younger set of Ecopia's.

tygertung, Jan 20, 7:42am
I don't usually use car ones as they are too expensive, but I always do on motorbikes as they are the best and it is better to not crash.

I always buy Yokohamas for the car now as the A-drive fits my car and it is good value, long lasting and has good grip.

vtecintegra, Jan 20, 8:03am
The EP150 Ecopias on my Leaf were really bad when I got it at 7 years old but they went through compliance just fine. Had only dne 17,000km too. Po

nesta129, Sep 24, 5:48pm
when i was at audi,we had a recall on tyres from a particular brand that were fitted to the cars.Not sure if it was a worldwide recall or just in NZ but all Audi cars were those tyres had to come back to get them replaced at the tyre manufacturers cost.