Why am I chopping through tyres?

Page 3 / 3
tweake, Jan 12, 8:24pm
good points.
might help to change the bushes to something a lot stiffer.

as socram has mentioned some decent shocks will help. vans centre of gravity changes a bit when it leans, which really ups the load on the outside tire.

tweake, Jan 12, 8:27pm
my current ute tires will handle 80psi at max weight.
not uncommon to use 60- 70 psi with a fully loaded ute.

scuba, Jan 12, 8:38pm
absolutely adjust the pressure to the weight carried.
I would have thought the wheel alignment would have been done with the 800kg "normal load" aboard as well as any factory spec weight requirements noted.
I wouldn't change shocks unless they are proven to be worn/faulty either thru feel or handling or testing.and just be aware after market spring kits or bush kits may result in a much firmer ride although they also may provide a solution.
So make sure anyone wanting to send you down that path actually walks the walk and talks the talk.

stevo2, Jan 12, 9:19pm
Van weighs around 3000kg loaded.
Tyre says Max1000kg at 55psi cold
Never squeals on corners
Wheel alignment done with all my gear onboard.

s_nz, Jan 12, 10:00pm
It's a cargo van, with relatively small tires (compered to 4wd's) and a high rated payload. Needs a decent amount of air in the tires or the sidewalls will get excessively hot and may fail.

Manufacturer recommends 42psi front, 51psi rear. As a general rule it seems that most cars respond well to a little more air than the manufacturers recommendation when they are loaded to near max payload. (never exceed max pressure ratings of tires)

mrcat1, Jan 12, 10:03pm
So you've actually been over inflating the tyres above even the tyre manufacturers rating when the van weighs 3000 kg and at 55psi they are good for 4000 kg.
Have you thought to lower the tyre pressures back to the placard and see how they wear?
I actually wont listen to any off what the tyre shops actually say, I learnt that from chewing thru tyres on their recommendations, just meant that they sold me more tyres, whose the winner?
Not me!

mrcat1, Jan 12, 10:08pm
And you'll find they have a rating for fully loaded and I bet pounds to peanuts the tyre shop recommendations far exceeds what the van manufacturer states on the placard even fully loaded.
Full payload is basically 1100kg, so no reason at all why you need so much tyre pressure.

lookoutas, Jan 12, 10:47pm
Watch this video. If the tyres were over inflated it would just roll onto the edges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8UiE7yvO_M&feature=emb_rel_end

You might need to put some motorbike wheels on the front.
You mentioned Stevo that your rims are 1/2 wider then standard with the same sized tyre. Might need to consider slightly wider tyres.

scuba, Jan 13, 9:59am
you realize increasing the tyre pressure will decrease the sidewall flex/ movement yeah? so less roll on edges not more.
What you do have to be aware of is the profile of the tyre when inflated and on the vehicle and adjusted pressure to allow for loading.
An experienced tech can look at the sidewall bulge and have a visual idea of whether the pressure is approx right for the weight its carrying on higher profile or larger tyres.
The maximum weight capacity on the side wall is a maximum weight capacity for the tyre at that pressure not for the individual vehicle or necessarily for that vehicles reccommended tyre pressure.
similar to tyre speed ratings just mean the tyre has been tested to that speed rating over and set time not that it won't handle higher speeds for shorter distances.

scuba, Jan 13, 10:08am
There is another possibility. not all tyres are equal as we all know.
Tyres are made to a price and design constraint- not all belts go past the tread edge so some will be more liable to wear those shoulders- you did say one brand wore less than the other on the shoulders.

stevo2, Jan 13, 6:44pm
Yes the Dunlop LT30 pictured in an earlier post is by far the worst commercial tyre I have ever used. Hankooks have been good and Nexen not bad.

muzz67, Jan 13, 6:49pm
One of the 5year old Hiace Diesels has chewed out front tyres in 15 000km.
'Sunfull' brand, no surprises really.

tweake, Jan 14, 5:33pm
i think your tire pressures are way to high.
you should be able to run around 40-45 psi without to much trouble.

s_nz, Jan 15, 12:07am
Here is the Aussie tire pressure placard:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/hyundai/iload/tyre-pressure

There is only a single pressure guidance (42psi front, 51psi rear), no separate rating for high loads, or comfort rating for running near empty.

Yes the tire shop did advise a lot more pressure than that, but I wouldn't recommend running anything less than the maunfacturers ratings when running close to max payload.

Other think that could potentially happen is that the load is distributed such that the front axle is overloaded. But normally it is the rear that ends up overloaded (excl 4x4's with heavy bar-work and winches on the nose).

stevo2, Jan 15, 6:03am
As I mentioned, the tyre shop I used the other day set all pressures to 52psi (down from 55psi).
As well as annual rotations , that I havent been doing, Im going to drop the fronts to 45psi for a while and see what happens since Hyundai recommend 42 front and 51 rear.
Cheers Stevo

lookoutas, Jan 15, 8:32am
That's the way.
And FFS don't rotate a tyre. Swap them around by all means, but make sure they're running in the same direction. If that means flipping the tyre on the rim, do it.
Particularly if you are swapping fronts from side to side. Any uneven wear will quickly get knocked off.

realtrader1, Jan 15, 9:25am
Change your driving habits is number one!

budgel, Jan 15, 9:29am
Some years ago I had a Mazda B2200 that wore out the front tyres quickly on the outside edges. I did a lot of quite fast miles over the Mangamukas as I was almost commuting between Kaitaia and the Hokianga with a ute full of tools and building materials.
I experimented with different tyre pressures, and different brands when the first tyres wore out. I couldnt avoid the problem no matter what I did.
When I stopped doing that journey with its left, right, left, right tight corners the tyre wear never got any worse and the problem disappeared when I changed to the final set of tyres before I sold that ute.

A well loaded vehicle being pushed on winding roads is going to have more tyre wear than normal.

muzz67, Jan 15, 12:33pm
Clarify please,, you mean move front to back but not side to side? Cheers.

lookoutas, Jan 15, 1:36pm
If you swap from side to side, flip them on the rims so they're still running in the same direction. Particularly the front.
If they've worn uneven and you put them on the other side, they will be running against the worn grain and will quickly scuff that off and start going back the other way.
It all depends on the method of your madness. In my case it was because the tyres were chewing out the inside and I wanted to deal to the other shoulder before the insides hit wire while there was a perfectly good outside.
Shifting the 'tyre' directly across to the other side achieved this, but that required flipping the tyre on the rim before putting it on the other side.
No good flipping it and putting it back on the same side as it will now be running against the grain of wear already inflicted, and that will shorten their life even quicker.

lookoutas, Jan 15, 1:52pm
There's such a thing as 'commercial interest'
What I've been harping on about was not told to me by a 'tyre guy' - it was told to me by a 'tyre guy' who had been to all the courses and workshops and told not to repeat it.
That's no different to a guy I knew who was in the plastic's industry.
I said to him one night that he should be able to make a plastic clothes-peg that didn't break. He said he used to make millions of them before it all got cheaper to have them done overseas, and he laughed and said he'd told them that he could make unbreakable ones.
You don't need much of an imagination to guess what the reply was.

I had to buy a new car battery yesterday. Last one was Oct 2017! Just out of warranty!

rover79, Sep 24, 11:05pm
Yea this I Reckon is the answer.
If you’re going around corners fast then you’re probably braking late and still braking as you’re turning into the corner, then My guess is your foot to the floor as your coming out of the turn Because it’s a light commercial and probably quite gutless coming back up to speed With the weight you carry.
Out of interest what gear are you going around Left hand Corners in.
Are you keeping the speed up so you can go around in third gear where as if you chop down to 2nd you have to slow down too much for it then more work to come up to speed.