Why am I chopping through tyres?

Page 1 / 3
stevo2, Jan 11, 5:13pm
Why are the front tyres on my van wearing on both the inside and outside shoulders? Similar wear pattern to "under inflation" but the pressure is always kept at around 55psi. Current front r/h tyre is almost showing its chords on the shoulders but has nearly 5mm tread through the centre 2/3rds. Tyre has done approx 30,000km.
Van is a 2016 iLoad and I've had it since new so no accidents.
It has done 65,000km and I get a wheel alignment approx once a year with every service.
The tyres are 8 ply commercial rated and arent cheap so I would like to get to the bottom of this. Cheers Stevo

franc123, Jan 11, 5:19pm
What is the brand/model of tyre fitted, has it always done it even before the current tyres are fitted, how often are they being rotated and can you post a shot of your last alignment printout?

stevo2, Jan 11, 5:37pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1467102154.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1467106274.jpg
The worst tyres have been the Dunlop SP30 LT. I'm moving back to the better Hankook RA08's which lasted a lot longer. 215/70x16 108/106
They dont get rotated.
If it was just one of the shoulders, I would understand but not inside AND outside.
Edit, the printout was my 2019 printout, has done 29,000km since then, cant find 2020.

franc123, Jan 11, 5:52pm
OK I would be rotating those front to rear every 7500km or thereabouts, it's obviously a little too late to start doing it now on those tyres. It looks like it runs quite a bit of caster ex factory which makes rotation even more important, it's a little hard to describe in words but running that much negative caster has the effect of the tyre tipping further over on its shoulders when it's being steered. While it's not extreme I would also not be happy with the amount of negative camber in that LF wheel, that needs investigating.

toyboy3, Jan 11, 5:58pm
Tell the driver to stop chowing down on the pies 🥧 there’s too much weight on the right front wheel

stevo2, Jan 11, 5:58pm
Thanks franc. Its going in for another tyre and another wheel alignment tomorrow. Lets see if we can get it sorted.
Cheers Stevo

stevo2, Jan 11, 6:01pm
I'm the only driver (and you're probably not wrong lol)

franc123, Jan 11, 6:05pm
Edge wear can be more of a problem on cheap car tyres on heavyish vehicles because of more than acceptable amounts of sidewall flex but that's obviously not an issue with good quality 8 plys running that sort of pressure.

mechnificent, Jan 11, 6:06pm
Do you corner hard ?

serf407, Jan 11, 6:07pm
Where are the Dunlop tyres made?

stevo2, Jan 11, 6:19pm
Interestingly, the Dunlops are made in Thailand, the Hankooks are from China.

mrcat1, Jan 11, 6:24pm
Hey,
Is 55 psi on the tyre placard?
Are both the front and rear at the exact pressures as per the placard on the van?
You need to have them rotated every service, the rears will be wearing fine in the centres, that's why you need to even wear with the fronts.
Have you thought of going to the likes of Cooper Tires, I get real good wear out of them in my little nana car.

mrcat1, Jan 11, 6:25pm
Do you know where barge poles are made?

mechnificent, Jan 11, 6:26pm
Yeah well that would do it Stevo. Try cornering gentler and without braking at the same time.

stevo2, Jan 11, 6:27pm
Oh mate, you're no fun lol.

intrade, Jan 11, 6:32pm
ok underinflation or the tyre can tilt on its axis worn ball joint.
or $hitty tire

mechnificent, Jan 11, 6:40pm
Ha. Sorry about that. Try to corner gentler for six months and see if it makes a difference.
I used to wear the outer and inners by cornering hard. now I don't and don't get the problem.

stevo2, Jan 11, 6:53pm
Hey Mrcat, tyre placard says 42psi front and 51psi rear. I have been advised by 2 separate tyre shops to run 55 front and 60psi in the rears because I always carry around 800kg (including my fat arse).
Coopers dont do a 215/70x16 with a load rating of 108/106T
Will get tyres rotated tomorrow. Back to work on Wednesday :(

intrade, Jan 11, 7:16pm
jinyu.

LIGHT TRUCK/COMMERCIAL YS77
JINYU - LIGHT TRUCK/COMMERCIAL YS77

1326 215/70R16 COMMERCIAL YS77 ND 108/106Q
https://www.ssawheel.co.nz/contact.html

3tomany, Jan 11, 7:19pm
Tyre has done 30k then i would not be all that concerned. If suspension or ball joints are worn then it will only get worse so will need attention to fix, but at 30,000km i would be happy to replace.

tweake, Jan 11, 7:31pm
whats the max pressure etc written on the sidewall?

intrade, Jan 11, 7:34pm
max pressure on sidewall is the pressure they can take till they explode and not what you should fill em with.
42 psi would be what to fill the jinyu

mrcat1, Jan 11, 7:56pm
Interesting you say this, I don't know if you remember my black 550 Nissan Navara I used to hurtle around the countryside in, it was shod with Coopers.
Now I used to carry similar weight in the back all the time, and the shops said the same things, heaps of pressure and they used to wear both sides of the front tyres and it used to scream worse than a banshee coming up the Matamata side of the Kaimais with a bit of steam around those corners.
It used to get a wheel alignment every 20,000kms but no rotation.
One day I had enough of chewing out tyres and I took the tyre pressures back to the placard psi recommendation and what do you know, that was the end of the banshee, and chewing out tyres, and started rotating tyres every service, then instead of getting 20,000km out of a front set of Coopers, I'd get 50,000km out of all four.
And I'd still do Kati to Wanganui in 3 1/2 hrs thru the Paraparas in the pouring rain and it wouldn't even twitch.
My black little nana car now is on Coopers, its pressures are 70psi front, should be 75psi, 80psi on the rear but only at 75psi and rotated every service, has no wear issues, never been aligned, and I get 50,000km out of those Coopers and it weighs 4.4 tonne.
I bought a expensive Michelin tyre gauge to check them with as it has pressure sensors on the wheels and if the pressure get to far out it starts having a fit, I always check the pressures cold after its been in for a service and rotated as they can be all over the place as the guys don't really care as they not paying for its tyres.

m16d, Jan 11, 7:56pm
Obviously a driver problem. you probably drive with the gas pedal on the floor or completely off. nothing in between.
and a left foot braker too.

tweake, Jan 11, 8:04pm
not really.
you can run them at that pressure up to the weight specified.
i use it as a guide to what to set pressures at because different tires can have completely different requirements.