Sca / repco / silverline oil filters

Page 1 / 2
rosehonda, Jun 7, 8:47pm
What is the deal with these cheaper brands I remember hearing in the past some were the same just rebranded, anyone know? The ryco filter for my car is rather pricey at $50 and no sales on at the moment. Some cheaper ryco on trademe but worried about fakes.

tygertung, Jun 7, 9:56pm
I like those orange Fram ones from supercheap as they have the black grippy end which makes them much easier to undo.

marte, Jun 7, 10:19pm
Rosehonda, what make & model/year & engine car?
$50 is quite a bit for a filter, but, it wouldnt be that cost if it wasn't a good one.

Even the super duper original brand oversized version filter for my car costs less than $50

mrfxit, Jun 7, 10:30pm
Common std filter for my van is about $18,
Mine has the larger filter at about $35

franc123, Jun 8, 8:16am
I import my own genuine filters from the US for under NZ$10 each landed price, only the stupid are still buying aftermarket at NZ retail prices. RockAuto are the people to visit, prepare to be shocked, some of their cheapest ones of an equivalent quality to whats being offered locally can be had for under $3+gst/freight.

kingfisher21, Jun 8, 12:57pm
I strongly suggest you DO NOT use those filters anymore, they are regarded as one of the worst on the market, do a youtube search on them.

intrade, Jun 8, 1:00pm
F have the worst quality from anyone testing it. i bet you that video i just googled will show the same thing.
Wix is among the best aftermarket sakura is also not to bad and i use sakura in my mb140 istana mercedes. Google oil filter test and watch some.
Also the oem brand is not oem its just a name to make you think it would be The filter for my astra was 10.80$ From Holden dealer parts department . factory GM one .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNJLEV8CG8
Also, i found a collapsed ryco filter in my passat when i serviced it as soon as i owned it.
"edited" i did scroll thru that video it shows what F brand is just like i was betting on.

franc123, Jun 8, 1:20pm
Yep they're horrifyingly bad. They can make engines start knocking from the chains or lifters for several minutes after starting them that were totally silent before changing the filter. Ive seen another one horribly upset the hydraulic VCT in a GM alloytec engine because the flow characteristics were wrong, another one fitted to a Commodore with the same engine collapsed outright after 1000km. Not good

intrade, Jun 8, 1:30pm
This is the sakura in my istana mb140 merc mechanical diesel pump van just took that 10 minutes ago i got a lot of them They are constructed good so i expect the same from spin on ones.
https://postimg.cc/xcDnTZJn
oil and filter changed 1 time a year or 5000km what ever will be sooner

ofaatudesigns, Jun 8, 2:25pm
I usually do use the Sakura ones as they are nice and cheap and made in Indonesia. I have been to Indonesia and it is very nice there.

Interesting about those Fram ones, I thought they had a nice orange colour and the grip made them nice to work with, but perhaps they are not the best after all.

marte, Jun 8, 2:59pm

gazzat22, Jun 8, 3:24pm
Super Cheap sell,or used to sell Sakura so presume they are OK but ! My Mechanic uses Ryco and has for years with no problems as they will stand by their products.

m16d, Jun 8, 3:52pm
I always get a laugh out of the ones that slag Fram.
They're the ones that use cheap chinese shit from Repco and supercheap.

If there was an ounce of truth in the utube videos they would have been out of business donkeys years ago.

suzgs750, Jun 8, 7:43pm
strongly agree with m16d about fram filters,what he said was correct.
have been using fram for 30 years no problems on many different engines.

kingfisher21, Jun 8, 11:08pm
Wake up and smell the coffee, couple of hundred youtube videos cant be wrong about the Fram filters, you just have to look at them internally to see how crap they are.

franc123, Jun 9, 12:18am
I thought it was a myth too until I saw one of those sh#tcans knock a full bar of oil pressure out of a XR6 I serviced which got instantly restored when a Motorcraft filter was installed and the Fram binned where it belonged. In addition to the above mishaps with the Holden engines.

toyboy3, Jun 9, 8:48am
Re Fram filters, it’s been awhile since I have had one in my hands , but I remember reading on the fram box that fram recommended replacement every 5000 km , which is a good enough reason not to use or buy them

suzgs750, Jun 9, 8:08pm
very interesting to see Kingfisher can tell how good a filter is by looking in them. i guess he has a lab that can check the internal paper filter for catching the dirt etc,and of course motorcraft dont make filters,they are made by other companies.

kingfisher21, Jun 9, 10:58pm
Don't need to, its been done a thousand times on youtube by several reputable creators, and just for laughs I actually cut one open and yup, it was constructed exactly like all the info on the net says.

kingfisher21, Jun 9, 11:00pm
No they wouldn't be, because they survive on the sheep like yourself.

pauldw, Jun 10, 9:39am
AFAIK Fram make at least 3 different grades of filter. The basic one is only made for the 3000 mile change market. If McDonalds can be sued for $Ms for too hot coffee there must be a class action lawyer that would sue Fram if there was any chance of winning.

mrcat1, Jun 10, 4:57pm
That's cheap for a filter, you want to start buying earthmoving gear filters, some can be in the hundreds each, the filters being two fuel, one engine oil filter from Mopar for my ute are just over $750.00, I get them direct from Cummins and they around $250.00 for the three.

rj-001, Jun 10, 5:16pm
I second this
RockAuto is very good.
I would advise anybody to at least try them once.

suzgs750, Jun 10, 9:00pm
i guess kingfisher thinks the length of the material inside a filter says how good it filters,well guess what it doesnt. i also have read the so called experts on you tube and could not understand the total crap of it with no proof. i am sure if fram are so BAD the would had their pants sued off them in USA. must say i was impressed by the comments standing by them,and of course we all know Donald Trump did win the election. yeah right on.

exwesty, Jun 13, 11:33am
Rockauto

I've been having a look for filters for a Hyundai Iload on their site.
Seems the Iload is the Starex in the North American market but there's no filters listed or am I looking in the wrong place?