PK Ranger, differential pinion bearing loose.

Page 2 / 2
gph1961, Dec 1, 5:02pm
on the face of it thought about being out flanked,toed the line so it was a heel in

strobo, Dec 1, 5:19pm
I crown you with top marks on the heel side .well done mate .

upnorth, Dec 3, 11:49am
Bearing blue could be something to whine about.

shakespeare6, Dec 4, 7:47am
There is only a backlash because of the differential of o pinion

upnorth, Dec 4, 9:13am
Hypoid it oil here.

elect70, Dec 5, 2:23pm
Well friend ignored noise from rear & it cost him a new transmission in his Ranger $6500 just saying

bill-robinson, Dec 5, 2:46pm
other than the drive shaft i do not see a mechanical connection between the 2 things you mention. please explain.

strobo, Dec 5, 4:50pm
#26 let me try xplain on behalf of #25 In my own words; the noise in the rear diff meant something.a warning. In his friends case cost him $6500 for a new transmission . The power flow from the engine through the transmission down the drive line to the diff that probably locked up at "the pinion /crown wheel" either through collapsed pinion bearings,lost bearing crush or preload ,lack of oil,all sorts of damage we don't know the facts but there is a mechanical connection>The power flow towards the rear end is disrupted and not distributed via the rear diff axles through to the rear wheels where it should,The power flow will reverse flow from the diff that has locked up ie no drive output and instead reverts/reverse flow power flow back towards the trans causing collateral damage along the way.

strobo, Dec 5, 5:08pm
To add,depending what gear range in forward to the amount of damage id say.

bill-robinson, Dec 5, 7:01pm
do you believe what you wrote, specially the bit about power going up and down thw driveshaft.

strobo, Dec 5, 7:10pm
yes every word.May your not familiar with reverse torque .Let me give an example for manual box .1:1 ratio while in 5th gear towing a horse float up hill develops reverse torque in the opposite direction damaging the transmissions,even loads pistons .Lets here in your own words what you think!40years plus in the trade transmissions ,rebuilds / repairs/ service of final drive units,power dividers /automatics later 6 speed trans and so on cars and commercial , ya gota ask your self what fails and why .Mostly ive seen it all.

bill-robinson, Dec 5, 7:32pm
50 years of race car engineering and building comes nowhere near your learned opinions. makes good reading though.

gph1961, Dec 5, 8:23pm
urinating contest?

sr2, Dec 5, 8:52pm
"reverse torque"?
For us uninitiated minions you may have to elaborate further.

sr2, Dec 5, 9:26pm
I'm savoring the "in your endo's", well done chaps.

tweake, Dec 5, 10:28pm
$0.02
if its a manual ranger, they had issues with manual gearboxes. if the diff is gone the gearbox is probably stuffed as well.

what he could be meaning is damage done to gears on over run when there is no load to keep things in mesh. if its really loose the teeth of the gears can bounce back and forth off and basically vibrate causing extra wear. kinda like a rattle gun constantly smacking it.
one of the reasons its not good to keep 4wd front hubs locked on highway cruise for long periods of time.

intrade, Dec 26, 3:45pm
any update?