Reliable euro car

Page 3 / 5
socram, Apr 9, 6:11pm
Sums it up for me too.

As a car salesman once told me, regarding the Euro's he was then selling, the biggest problem was persuading people to try them. If he could get them into the driving seat, he was more than half way there.

In that respect, I preferred my UK's boss's Daimler Sovereign (Jaguar XJ6) to any other cars the company and his family owned - and I drove several of them.

The Lexus philosophy of perfection, other than their newer, sportier models, takes the 'feel' out of the older vehicles, though I have only driven an older Lexus SUV, not for me.

I totally understand Setright's view, and in that respect, one of the two major reasons I have stuck to British made. It is the way they drive.

dublo, Apr 9, 8:13pm
Our NZ-new, one previous older owner, full service history 1999 Accord top of the range VTi-L V6 we bought 12 years ago at 64000 km: at $9500 dealer's price cheaper by $4000 than base model 2.4 litre 4 cylinder models in other yards (because of perceived heavier fuel consumption?) but over 34 miles per gallon on open road work (figures older drivers will understand!) pretty good for a heavy 3 litre-engine car. Comfortable, quiet, more power than we need, only fault (fingers crossed!) in 65000km has been a thermostat failure.
Had cambelt, water pump and external belts replaced when we bought it and do regular lubrication jobs twice as often as it says in the handbook.
Pampered ones like that occasionally turn up for sale. Our garage man said it should last forever!

djrandomguy, Apr 9, 9:29pm
That is the gearbox fault, they have solenoids in them that fail causing rough shifting and eventual stoppage. The 406 Coupe is a better looking car than it has any right to be. Prices now are as low as they're going to get so if you find one with a "stuffed" transmission and take it to a PSA shed instead of a general garage the fix will be common for them.

meow_mix, Apr 9, 9:44pm
I agree the 406 Coupe is a stunner, very expensive when new, great buying even if you have to fix the gearbox.

reggienz, Apr 20, 3:38pm
I noticed no one has mentioned Citreon, Audi, Volks wagen or Fiat etc. What's your views on these?

djrandomguy, Apr 20, 5:52pm
I suggested a Citroen C6 but they're priced above what you wanted to spend. You might get a 2nd gen' C5, make sure it's the 6 speed auto not the 4.

tamarillo, Apr 20, 7:00pm
A good well maintained Audi can do huge miles and there’s some bargains to be had with the bigger ones. I’d rather an A6 than a Passat as same bits but more Goodies. There hasn’t been any larger fiats here for decades, a big Citroen will cruise better than anything.

buyit59, Apr 20, 9:02pm
Enjoyed my 97 Jaguar 3.2 sedan . Stupid little bucket seats were really comfortable . NZ new , 3rd owner - 1 for most of its life . Had it for a just over a year . Bought it for $4k and sold it for same . It was just under 200,000km . Spent $34 on p/steer leak fix . Would still have it but missed the burble of the yank V8's we had before it . so sold it for a Benz V8 . and so far 1 year plus I am enjoying it ( done 10,000km ) but purchase cost was x3 more than Jag which makes the Jag great for the $$ I feel .

jesus2000, Apr 21, 9:09am
Lexus's LS line are the ones with soft suspension.

Their IS range is more firmly sprung.

The GS line come with either non adjustable suspension or have the adjustable normal/sports mode suspension.

jesus2000, Apr 21, 9:11am
Ironically now a lot of car reviewers think it is Lexus that has the most character to drive.

https://youtu.be/RyVViLjEImA?t=724

jesus2000, Apr 21, 9:11am
So owning a BMW is about snob value then?

djrandomguy, Apr 21, 10:48am
"i don't get this boring thing? seriously you think a euro car sitting in my workshop for weeks on end isn't boring for the owner while all Lexus drivers are still living and not urbering! I've driven some awesome Lexus machines! far from boring"

Ever driven a 106Gti on 3 wheels down a twisty road ?
Maybe the Euro goes on the hoist, but it's better than automotive purgatory if you are "into cars".
If a car is an appliance, by the most reliable one.
If cars are your passion, then follow your heart, don't die wondering.

jesus2000, Apr 21, 11:01am
I owned a 205 GTi for a few years. Yes a very fun car to drive on twisty roads.

However I can still honestly say that a 2008 Lexus GS350 that I currently have is the best car I've ever owned on many levels. Fast, reliable, and comfortable.

blogzy, Apr 21, 7:16pm
One thing i can attest to, as the years go by my automotive preferances have changed. The younger male in me lived for the adrenaline hit of a machine on the edge. As my testosterone levels have stablised my interest in the angry autos has plateaued.
Nevertheless, as a young GM apprentice mechanic petrolhead, I still remember the pleasure of driving a new 350 chev powered Statesman. Made the old 253 feel a bit . ordinary.

tamarillo, Apr 21, 8:11pm
No. Dont recall anything about snob value.

jesus2000, Apr 21, 8:35pm
"What makes a lexus boring? "

"The badge"

tamarillo, Apr 21, 8:52pm
Yes, so what? You’re drawing the wrong inference.

tamarillo, Apr 21, 8:53pm
What a condescending pri.
Stick to your preferences but try looking around you at others.

itsafamilything, Apr 21, 9:26pm
Why succumb to name calling? It does the proponent no favours. The person you are dissing has every right to convey his experience of that model BMW and you have a right to contest what is said with facts to back it up. Why not carry out the conversation respectfully? Preference can get in the way of facts and that can work both ways don't you think?

toenail, Apr 21, 9:47pm
you're sounding as if Lexus has only 1 model with a single suspension tuning. Have you driven a current model BMW 3 or 5 series? It's more floaty and a more numb steering than a Lexus IS and GS.

socram, Apr 21, 10:11pm
Unfortunately, driving on the public roads in NZ with a 100kph speed limit, (or less) I really don't get any joy out of driving.

A Lexus might be OK wringing its neck, but like most other cars of the last decade or three, you can't really push them hard enough to really exploit them.

If I'm honest, I got far more joy out of a hot 850cc Mini years ago, pedal to the metal at every opportunity, ditto a warmed 998cc Mini Cooper, than the modern Cooper S, where you are in licence loss territory way, way before you get into top gear, so #68 rings true with me too.

toenail, Apr 21, 10:28pm
Exactly, even if I spend $200K on an Audi E-Tron GT, I can't enjoy it like this guy doing over 200Km/h+ on straight roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDDRu1nlbV4&t=1s

amasser, Apr 22, 8:20am
Are there many European cars in Europe and are they reliable?

tamarillo, Apr 22, 8:31am
Because of their condescending manner. I agree every right to opinion but not attitude.

jeff1234, Apr 22, 9:13am
Absolutely, leave the main centres and there are thousands of 15, 20 + year old euros running strong.