What cars do you have fond memories of driving or

Page 1 / 4
bill-robinson, Jan 6, 2:45pm
a 2 horse race, you either win or you lose. that determines greatness to you.

bill-robinson, Jan 6, 3:13pm
i do not nor have ever said i do drive race cars. but you mouth runneth over with race statistics and ev rubbish. what have you won in you electric terrano i did win port road sprint back in the 70's before you were born i think.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 4:31pm
Standing up, bums on seat backs, heads out the sunroof, driving through downtown Browns Bay in. Fiat Bambina 500.

franc123, Jan 6, 4:40pm
Couldnt agree more. If they still made those new I would buy one. I still have a 1981 Ghia V6 that I've had for 15 years now I love every aspect of how they look inside and out and how they drive.

paul861, Jan 6, 7:47pm
you deserve and have more respect than that loud mouth in the corner bill, i know whose advice i would rather heed

laurelanne, Jan 6, 8:24pm
That's interesting franc123. In the early eighties when my dad was wanting to down size from a VJ Valiant, his friend a Ford dealer was singing the praises of a V6 Chia that he was driving. Unfortunately, memories of MK4 Zephyrs were still fresh in dads mind.

saxman99, Jan 6, 9:08pm
By far the biggest laugh and most fun day I ever had driving a car was taking a Trabant on a self-drive tour of Berlin in 2014 and grinning like an idiot the entire trip. Hilariously bad but what an icon. I’d own one in a heartbeat.

elect70, Jan 6, 9:50pm
My Mk 3 zepher first car i did 100MPH in on the napier Taupo rd . reliable as clockwork it never let me down which is more than I can say for modern EFI cars ive owned .

franc123, Jan 6, 10:00pm
He obviously wasnt told that apart from the fact it's a iron V6 engine made by Ford of a similar layout, the Cortina 2.3 has no technical relationship with the 2.5 and 3.0 Essex engines used in British Fords.

laurelanne, Dec 2, 8:32am
In the late sixties a mate bought a 1963 Impala SS from Chord Motors in Auckland. We used and abused it for a year and he traded it back at Midland Motors. Both those names are long gone. Love to be able to buy one in the condition that one was in for $3,200 today.

nice_lady, Dec 2, 8:52am
= $58,000 in todays money according to an inflation calculator I found online.

tgray, Dec 2, 9:18am
My 1968 MK2 Cortina GT as a 17 year old in 1980. Manual (of course) with a vinyl roof. I swapped out the steering wheel for a small racing one (all you needed was a large spanner!)
I absolutely loved it.
Sold it for $1,600 after a few years and bought a Cortina MK3.

intrade, Dec 2, 9:26am
That was a tricky one for a secound .
i dont know the exact year but it was a Opel senator with my cracy uncle karlos doing 250kp thru the forrest on a one way road . He later lost his license for driving over 250kph with gardening tools on the roofrack on the swiss autobahn lol i think it was 130kph top speed back then its now 120.
hmm must have been after we got his mitsubishi lancer . 87 to 93 irmscher opel senator it would have been

poppy62, Dec 2, 9:38am
Triumph Herald, Triumph 2.5Pi, NSU 1000C, Renault 5GTL and a Citroen AXGT which surprised a lot of V8s.

sw20, Dec 2, 10:40am
RX3 Super Deluxe Coupe back in the late ‘90s. Baby blue with mint black vinyl interior. Lowered on Spitfires and Eagers. 12a Bridgeport with a big Weber carb. Buzzer in every gear cos the dash lights didn’t work.

kam04, Dec 2, 10:44am
Humber 80 my very first car. Siera Ghia, Toyota Cressida, 2015 Toyota Highlander.

kazbanz, Dec 2, 11:04am
Leyland P76 V8 -My girlfriend at the time owned this thing. Holey cow did it haul a%%.

saki, Dec 2, 12:54pm
1972 in Hawaii we had to take a RX2 auto rental because they had run out of mustangs, for ever buzzing the tacho, started my time with the rotarys that rearly only ended after I sold my last racer sometime early 2000s.

mrfxit, Dec 2, 12:58pm
52 Humber 10 fully rebuilt from a mountain of parts in a paddock, went all over the North Island in that when I was 15.
68 FD Victor with a mildly tweaked 186 red motor & Toyota 5 sp on CNG
Suckered a lot of ppl thinking it was a crappy 1600 4cyl on CNG but 2 second switch to petrol at speed was a whole different story

78 Sunbird with the running gear from the Victor.
Rode nice & had a 50/50 balance on hard cornering depending on boot on or off.

saxman99, Dec 2, 1:07pm
Used to love driving the MG out in the countryside on a sunny day with the top down.

poppy62, Dec 2, 3:18pm
Was real proud of my Herald. Did the South Island twice in it (camping). First time 1971. 5,600 kms cost me $33.50 in gas. Paid $300.00 for it had it 5years sold it for $650.00.

mrfxit, Dec 2, 3:35pm
Fair enough but on that note, the Opal 1900 was the same size as the much better Holden 1900 (cut down Red 173)
GM nearly killed the commodores with the pig iron Opal

bwg11, Dec 2, 4:12pm
Talking 70's stuff, something that impressed me was the 3 litre Capri, I had one out on demo for a day and it went really well, I was shopping to replace a Cooper S with a "family car". Would have been as quick as the slightly modified S and handled reasonably by 1973 standards. It was about $5.5k, which was a lot of money in '73, and I foolishly settled for a Mark 3 GT which was really a dog of a car but only $4.5k.

Here is someone's memories of one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw8h8Bs-jMY

ianalice1, Dec 2, 4:17pm
I learnt to drive a little 1200cc VW beetle.
Loved it.My 1st car was an Austin A55, then Hillman Imp, Mk1 Zephyr followed by a Mk 2. Got married, had kids & had to buy, proper cars.
Those were the days.

stevo2, Dec 2, 4:38pm
E37 Charger R/T 4 speed manual. Owner told me to give it heaps. Wet track it would spin the wheels in all 4 gears. Put your foot down at 50kph going straight ahead and be prepared to straighten the slide. I'm used to travelling quickly but that was impressive - scary even.
That was 15 years ago.