Cambelt unknown renewal?

Page 2 / 2
tgray, Sep 20, 8:40pm
For $20 the local mechanic removes the cam cover and examines the belt.
If it hasn't been done, I think a visual examination would be pretty obvious if it's the original belt or not.

gph1961, Sep 21, 5:24am
for $20 he drives it in the shop opens the bonnett shuts the bonnett and parks it out

tgray, Sep 21, 7:48am
Sorry, I should have put the work 'my' instead of the word 'the'.
The point being it might be worth having someone have a look at it first.

lythande1, Sep 21, 8:05am
I'd be doing it again anyway. better safe than sorry.

cattleshed, Sep 21, 8:18am
I'm fairly sure this engine has two belts, one for the balancer shaft. Cambelts rarely snap. Teeth will shed if a tensioner seizes. Too often the talk is around the belt. As others have pointed out that's only one part out of many incl seals, water pump and tensioner that should be considered as part of the belt change.

doree36, Sep 21, 9:52am
I have a toyota Corolla "Plus" with 140000 on the clock Had the Cam Belt done at 90000 It has a non interference motor -if the belt breaks the car just stops - not munching up the motor. Mechanic checked it for me the other day, jokingly said come back in another 50000.! Only 2 owners so at 84 years of age Lady i guess it will see me out. Has done a couple of long trips lately no problem with anything .

gazzat22, Sep 21, 10:27am
My thoughts exactly If i was buying it i would change it but all i can do is Suggest.

gazzat22, Nov 15, 4:54pm
Kaz.All sorted.A mutually agreeable price and arrangement reached .Cheers