What percentage of cars are financed ?

Page 2 / 2
jesus2000, Sep 28, 3:37pm
Gold would of got you 21% over the last 12 months. Silver 30%.

sw20, Sep 28, 3:56pm
The Simplicity Conservative investment fund.

poppy62, Sep 28, 4:38pm
To your BIL's credit at least he can say he owned a Aston Martin DB9 (I'm not a fan of them). The "Bards" famous quote comes to mind. It's better to have Loved and lost. etc., BTW I'm surprized you ask the finance question! I thought a wealthy speculator like you would always have the readies, as your post ( about affording to buy 61Leafs) alluded to.

poppy62, Sep 28, 4:43pm
I'll stick my neck out and say that the SCIF (company) will possibly soon join this formidable list!

https://www.fma.govt.nz/news-and-resources/finance-company-collapses/

sw20, Sep 28, 4:55pm
Risking your neck for nothing pops, they aren't a finance company.

poppy62, Sep 28, 4:58pm
Neither were quite a few on that list.

sw20, Sep 28, 5:08pm
They all lend money. They were finance companies.

https://simplicity.kiwi/

3tomany, Sep 28, 8:23pm
Why waste cash on a depreciating asset? I would invest the cash in an appreciating asset and borrow the money for a vehicle. I have a policy of not losing assets or cash on money losing anything. Car are a cost of living and you need to spend what you can afford. The interest bill is stuff all.
For me they are a business expense so easy to budget for.
A retired person or low income that can not service a loan will need to pay cash and hope the thing lasts for a long time.

toenail, Sep 28, 9:44pm
business finance is fine, OpEx over CapEx.

jesus2000, Sep 28, 10:14pm
No doubt lots of people are driving around in a lot more $$$ vehicle than they actually need or can truly afford. A lot of people these days are in debt up to the eyeballs and think whatever they can afford the weekly payments on is what they can afford to buy.

This insightful interview talks about the easy credit of today's world and gives some home truths.

https://youtu.be/bWobMCzu1wg?t=153

clark20, Sep 28, 10:52pm
Yes, I could sell my late model car now for more than I paid for it a year ago, added bonus, don't know how long that will last. Check out Commodore VF2 V8 prices.

lakeview3, Sep 29, 12:52am
my uncle had a red corvette stingray and a black transam with a gold eagle on it when we visited in the late 1970s. anyway I realised much later the guy was a narcissist with obviously some mental issues. anyhoo my aunt got rid of him eventually but not before he screwed up the minds of their children. man he was a d!ck.

I do always wonder why some people drive ‘look at me’ cars. Most of them are impractical as anything and no one really gives a sh** when they open their door i to it whether it’s a DB9 or a 1985 Toyota Starlet. 😂

I just like men who drive a ‘real’ car, or a Ute/SUV. Don’t like flashy, just like practical.

desmodave, Sep 29, 7:14am
Is there a cross over point with what you call a look at me car , is it cost, style,or just a brand thing . What makes you look . Is the driver of so called look at me car looking at you while your looking at them . I doubt the driver of your so called look at me car would give a dam what some1 else thinks of their choice of wheels . Is there such a thing as a look at me horse float at all .

sarahb5, Sep 29, 7:38am
Some of us poor working middle class people living in towns without reliable public transport have no choice but to finance a vehicle when their fully cash paid vehicle dies and repairs are going to cost more than the value of the vehicle, so yes I have a personal loan to pay for my car.

tygertung, Sep 29, 8:36am
Why not just get an old Suzuki Alto? Real cheap on fuel. My mate had one, got from Christchurch to Oamaru for $20. 4 wheel drum brakes took a while to slow down from 110 kph though!

If you want to be a fancy guy/gal you can get the "sport" model with the racing stripes.

annie17111, Sep 29, 8:40am
because if you are in an accident you will end up crushed

lythande1, Sep 29, 8:41am
Middle class. I'm poorer than that and lived in places without buses. STill paid cash. But bought cheap cars.

kazbanz, Sep 29, 11:07am
You buy into that brainwashing do you?

jesus2000, Sep 29, 11:35am
Sure, spending money so you can make money (ie go to work) is quite often a necessity. I live in a small rule town and need to be able to travel to a bigger city for grocery shopping etc.

But I am picking you didn't go for a $160,000 Mercedes just to get yourself to work and pick up some groceries with.?

saki, Sep 29, 12:34pm
Last car on tick was in 1985, since owned about a futher 20 odd all cash upto 16g, bought my first house cash in 1989 cash $132000, used a super pay out and savings, Ive never earnt over $40g per annum just try to be wise with the little I get, now sitting comfortable.

sarahb5, Sep 29, 1:38pm
Definitely not - I get my groceries delivered

tygertung, Nov 13, 12:54pm
Or one can use bike with trailer if you are not too far from the supermarket.