Mechanics Prices

Page 1 / 2
simplekiwi, Apr 17, 1:21pm
Can I ask a question to you mechanics out there.

I need to have a new clutch fitted to a 2wd ford ranger and have been quoted the job taking between 6-8 hours.
I understand that they are being conservative but everywhere Ive read and watched have said that the job will take around 4 (just replacing clutch with no other problems . I was told if the flywheel had to be smoothed, it would be sent out which could take a couple of hours etc but no doubt that would be part of the parts cost, not a labour cost to the mechanic as he's not doing the work.

So my question is. if no one is working on your car, are you still being charged for it being on the hoist without any work actually being done on it?

nice_lady, Apr 17, 5:04pm
If the flywheel needs to be skimmed then it has to be removed, which normally wouldn't be required. Then someone at the workshop has to take it to an engineering shop which will put the flywheel on a lathe and skim it. Then they've got to go and retrieve it and reinstall it. All this takes time and one of the problems is that that flywheel can't be checked prior to the clutch being dismantled and thus the engineering shop can't be expected to just drop everything and do your flywheel job on the spot so to speak. So there is a lot of extra time and effort involved. If the garage has their own lathe then its much easier. I could be wrong but that's what hubby reckons.

tygertung, Apr 17, 5:47pm
Maybe you can go and pick up the clutch and take it to the engine shop.

When I had a RWD corolla, I got so good at removing the gearbox that I could get the gearbox out in 25 minutes on the driveway, including jacking up the car.

wind.turbine, Apr 17, 6:08pm
sounds like me and my 115hp outboard, got so good at removing and reinstalling I could do it in 20 min.
inc removing rigging

evotime, Apr 17, 6:25pm
I take it your talking PX1/PX2 Ranger (Ie 3.2l)? 6-8 hours is very conservative but better to over quote than under quote I guess.
I'm a former Ford mechanic so have done a few, obviously most were autos so not heaps but yeah 2wd are heaps easier. the worst bit was the stupid gear linkage adjustment which isn't a big deal, just annoying.
You should be only charged for the hours your vehicle is worked on which does also include picking up parts, cleaning up and putting tools away and any 15mins smoko which your mechanic is clocked onto your vehicle for.
A fair few had leaking rear main seals so while its out get them to check yours.
Get a quote from Ford too.

sr2, Apr 17, 6:35pm
LOL; one wonders what you were doing (or more likely not doing) that required the gearbox to be removed on such a regular basis?

shakespeare6, Apr 17, 6:48pm
We had a 4wd Ranger clutch done 2 weeks ago - $1700 all up

tygertung, Apr 17, 10:47pm
From memory, changed from 4 speed to 5 speed, leaky crankshaft rear main seal ruining clutch, broken gearbox one time when changed into third gear with power (had a 5K 1500 with extractors and double twin choke 40mm dellortoes, was surprisingly fast) -put 4 speed back in, got a new 5 speed box.

But that is just from memory, I was doing that sort of thing around 2005-6 probably. But they were a very easy gearbox to remove. Just remove the gearstick, remove the driveshaft, unbolt the bellhousing and crossmember and just bench press the gearbox off and put it down to the side (not very heavy).

sr2, Apr 17, 11:11pm
Ah the follies of youth, been there done that some 40 years ago.

muppet_slayer, Apr 18, 1:02am
No. The mechanic clocks on and off the job as bits and pieces are being done. There will be a charge to remove the gearbox and old clutch assembly, cleaning the bellhousing etc, greasing and fitting the new clutch bearing etc, checking and replacing the spigot bearing if it has one, and removing the flywheel if necessary (and extra cost to refit). Some places also replace the rear crankshaft seal while they are in there so that's an extra cost also. Then there is the reassembly, and final roadtest. 6 to 8 hours labour sounds about right for what I have outlined above.

muppet_slayer, Apr 18, 1:08am
The hardest job I ever did on the dirt floor at home was the massive Toyota hilux 4wd manual gearbox by myself with a trolley jack at the rear and me lifting it at the front. Almost blew my fufu valve LOL

muppet_slayer, Apr 18, 1:25am
You have to take some pricing with a grain of salt, they come from hourly rate manuals that are carried out on brand new vehicles and don't really take into consideration that a vehicle that has 50 - 100 thou on the clock is going to take longer to do than a brand new example of the same vehicle where everything is pristine and new.

tygertung, Apr 18, 7:07am
Actually maybe it was the gearbox which was leaking onto the clutch?

When she had the 4 speed box with the 4.6 ratio diff, she was revving pretty high at 100 Km/h

gph1961, Apr 18, 7:14am
so true and most of those times were hard to match

gph1961, Apr 18, 7:16am
must have had the enthusiasm of youth

gph1961, Apr 18, 7:19am
there is no doubt you have been to a few rodeos(you know what I mean?)

tygertung, Apr 18, 8:37am
When I was an apprentice aircraft engineer, I offered to change the clutch on a workmate's son's 2L V6 VR4 for $150 (I was somewhat poor). I figured it would be similar to changing my cordia gearbox, but with a transfer case, It was much more difficult than anticipated. I'm not sure how the factory got all those bolts that tight.

trade4us2, Apr 18, 8:48am
Clutch, flywheel smoothed? I am so glad I have had automatics for many years and never had to spend a penny on them.

muppet_slayer, Apr 18, 10:12am
Yes I did and It was for a girlfriends Dad, so say no more! But it didn't really score me any brownie points either, Damn, LOL

muppet_slayer, Apr 18, 10:27am
It is charged as an outwork job and is basically an invoice inside an invoice which will have the cost of the lathe work including usage of the lather and labour to do the skim job so is not part of the labour of the main invoice but does have it's own labour cost.

gph1961, Apr 18, 12:04pm
RVB for me on MK1 consul
dirt floor garage
rope block/tackle
job ok,well,what happened after not so great

tygertung, Apr 18, 3:51pm
The clutch supply shops usually have a grinding machine and the cost is minimal.

intrade, Apr 20, 10:49am
depends on year and model. if its new and its a diesel you have a dual mass flywheel. they can not be machined and should be replaced in any case as non of the dual mass will make it thru 2 clutches they fail premature if not replaced with clutch. often whole assembly like luke for vag come as preassembled bolt on kit direct to crank. and crank shaft seal has to be done also as this is the only time you can get to replace it . while the clutch-flywheel is off the crank . other side gearbox imput seal should also be done and spigot bearing if it has one.
if its new and petrol its likely also got a DMF

bryshaw, Apr 20, 11:53am
Good old Fords. fix or repair daily.

trogedon, Apr 20, 1:58pm
Surely the flywheel (which only takes a few minutes to remove and refit with cordless rattlegun) would be couriered to the skimmers and couriered back, i.e. minimal fee and no mechanics or other staff time.