Disposal of empty oil containers

blogzy, Oct 13, 8:26am
I read my local tip will not take an empty coloured plastic container. Where do I dispose of them ? I have inherited a few from previous property owner.

bill-robinson, Oct 13, 8:34am
cut them up and put in the rubbish

oscar220, Oct 13, 10:06am
Repco branches usually have a bin for full or empty containers.

saxman99, Oct 13, 10:20am
Recycling bin.

3tomany, Oct 13, 10:27am
Put them out with the rubbish. Take the lid of and stomp on them so they take up less space, put the lid back on after so they do not expand again.

gpg58, Oct 13, 10:27am
And some supercheap branches i believe(empty or containing oil)
https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/services/in-store-services/oil-recycling

marte, Oct 13, 11:51am
Thanks for that,
I had a bunch of full oil containers & found a near empty 20 L container in one of those bins, so I took it home & filled it up & then put it & 5x 5L full containers back into that bin again.
Now I find out that they don't want containers above 10 litres.
Oh well.
I will keep it to 5 litre containers from now on.

OP, crush it & put it in the wheelie bin.

reb53, Oct 13, 6:49pm
Mine have been going out in the recycling as they have the right number on them.

theo35, Oct 13, 7:57pm
^yep you need to rinse them out thoroughly so they're actually clean on the inside.

headcat, Oct 13, 10:13pm
They burn well

3tomany, Oct 13, 10:40pm
They call that wishcycling. Nothing like contaminating a whole batch of recycling to fill a landfill.

smallwoods, Oct 13, 10:55pm
The right way to go

tygertung, Oct 14, 5:53am
They can't really be recycled as they have oil contamination which is difficult to remove.

martin11, Oct 14, 7:20am
Not allowed in Canterbury Recycling bins .

shortee2, Oct 14, 1:06pm
They should go into the RED Bin, if you live in Christchurch.

bill-robinson, Oct 14, 2:34pm
#13 and #15 will not bother the OP he does not live there.

toenail, Oct 14, 10:04pm
drop engine oil containers off to repco/supercheap oil bins.

framtech, Oct 14, 11:09pm
Burn them in front of that green party dictator and ex M of conservation (sage), the one trashing the hunting industry(high country) and the cause of the un-stocked doc land that burn down that town down south.
Thats the same one who helped trash our oil and gas industry, she's a anti road / car nut.

tygertung, Nov 6, 10:59pm
Just remember, the more people who can get on bikes, means the more room on the roads for people who want to drive cars.