New work van needed soonish.

Page 1 / 2
muzz67, Apr 9, 8:21pm
Will be needing new medium sized work van soon, will need to be Diesel Auto in the medium price bracket. Thoughts on ,I-Load, Mitsi Express,Hiace( I-load shaped nose),Renault Traffic etc.

stevo2, Apr 10, 6:47am
Im on my second iLoad now, both bought brand new and neither have ever had any issues whatsoever, under warranty or not (but they do go through headlight bulbs).
First was a 2013 6 speed which I sold at 55,000km but because of increasing city traffic, I wanted an auto and got offered such a good deal I couldn't say no.
My second is a 2016 auto and it close to 70,000km and all its ever had is its regular services, no repairs.
I always carry about 800kg and it has roof racks but I still get around 9 to 10lt/100km and drive fairly briskly. The manual was about 1lt/100km better but the manual has 100kw and 330Nm whereas the auto has 125kw and 441Nm.
Previously I had an 05 Hiace and could never go back to one of those.
I recently drove the new shape Hiace which had more load room than the iLoad but was slower, didn't sit quite as nicely on the road but worst of all, it was only rated to tow 400kg unbraked (less than a Corolla) and my trailer weighs that EMPTY.
The iLoad is now down on features compared to the others (it dates back to 2008) but there's a new model coming out in a few months.
The Mitsi is a Renault Trafic with a different badge but you can only get the barn door and unglazed version and I need a tailgate with full glazing. It recently received a one star safety rating and gained a lot of negative publicity for that.
The Transhit goes well but by the time I get all the extras and glaze the rear, the price is through the roof. Long term reliability and cost of servicing is a concern as well.
For my circumstances, I would be going for another iLoad (or waiting for the new model) or the Hiace and just ignore the unbraked tow rating. The Hiace uses the Hilux 2.8lt motor now and comes with a regen button for the DPF to hopefully cure that ongoing issue.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1521556708.jpg

muzz67, Apr 10, 8:17am
Cheers Stevo, have a '16 I-max now, been great too, no issues ,116km so far.
Wouldn't change but accountant says I should.
Would happily have another and probably will end up with I-load.
Strange that the Traffic gets 3 stars yet Express gets zero.
I drive a 5th Gen Hiace (last of the flat nosed) occasionally and hate it,, cant fit in the passenger side unless turn knees to the side,,
steering ratio is so lazy that always overshoot corners, gear ratios so high it cant be driven at 50kph in 4th gear comfortably, its horrible.

tamarillo, Apr 10, 8:20am
New I load / max due out this year on whole new platform. Either worth waiting for or waiting for run outs on older model

stevo2, Apr 10, 8:40am

3tomany, Apr 10, 9:04am
If safety is of any concern to you then the cheaper options are not for you. I have seen great deals on Mercedes vans up here and the VW is also a great van. I have a Transit and can say they are a brilliant van, miles ahead of the so called cheapies in the market. Just last weekend had a big crash in it and can say they are bloody strong vans. Waiting to see if it will be written off or not. Ford give a good discount if you have a Farmlands card or are GST registered so pays to ask about pricing.

kazbanz, Apr 10, 9:18am
I would be asking your accountant for an in depth explanation as to why you NEED a new van.

vtecintegra, Apr 11, 9:34am
Why not? Due to it being a more recent design the current HiAce is better across the board than a Vito.

3tomany, Apr 11, 7:46pm
Hiace is not one of the cheaper options and in fact are dearer than the euro Vans. Hiace would be fine as well being the only jap van that is up to date with modern safety standards.

3tomany, Apr 11, 7:49pm

intrade, Apr 12, 9:29am
thats total fake news, driver occupation savety is better then then most vans on the mitsubisi who is a rebadged trafic . It is like hotels because you dont have a swimming pool and souna but rest is like any other 5 star hotel you get 1 star only .
No one needs airbags for parcels in the back that is why it has lower rating baceuse they dont have airbags in the place . the driver is more protected then most other driver of higher star rating .

stevo2, Apr 12, 9:36am
Getting confused yet Muzz67?

vtecintegra, Apr 12, 9:39am
The rating has nothing to do with the number of airbags - it's based off injuries to the driver and front passenger.

The Trafic scores 52% (Express is a little more because it has curtains) for adult occupants, the current Hiace is 94% and the Vito is 93%

stevo2, Apr 12, 9:48am
The new shape Hiace is a FAR nicer drive than the forward control version but it still isnt great. I believe the iLoad still drives better, is quicker and more economical than the new Hiace but it is missing a lot of kit in comparison.
The Transhit drives a lot better than you would expect from a 2litre engine but I dont know if they have their reliability sorted yet. I know of someone with a 2017 and they've had never ending issues.
I talk to Tradies every day and the topic always moves to their vans. The majority of those that own Euro vans wish they hadn't bought them and those that just drive the company vans say they're off the road a lot more than the Asian vans in the same company fleet.
Reliability is number one for me because every day its off the road is a day I dont earn $$$
Cheers Stevo

intrade, Apr 12, 10:11am
THE BOOK: 'On BS' by professor Harry G Frankfurt

intrade, Apr 12, 10:23am

intrade, Apr 12, 10:40am

vtecintegra, Apr 12, 11:19am
Yes 3 stars based off an earlier rating - not sure what you're having trouble understanding.

Anyway it's still poor result - it was bad in 2015 and it's even worse now

intrade, Apr 12, 1:00pm
vtecintegra wrote:
Yes 3 stars based off an earlier rating - not sure what you're having trouble understanding.

i just debunked your b$ about 0 stars . As i have no trouble understanding reality and real proofed facts. Ancrap is who pays the most get highest ratings

kazbanz, Apr 12, 1:42pm
THAT ^^^^^^ is pretty much the feedback Ive been getting in the last couple of years.
For a trade vehicle frankly a lot of the bells n whistles are just a waste of moolah
The people mover version I'm well impressed with

Question I'd have for the OP is exactly how much load space does he need and how much city work does he do.
Reason being that the Nissan NV 200 punches a long way above its weight

stevo2, Apr 12, 2:48pm
While the NV200 appears to be a reliable (but SMALL) van, the OP has been advised by his accountant to trade up to a new van - probably for tax reasons - so buying a second hand NV200 that's worth about the same as his 2016 iLoad isn't going to achieve the desired financial result.

kazbanz, Apr 12, 3:13pm
Im suggesting NV 200 as an option. Can't get em new thanks to Nissan Australia idiocy but with 200km on etc so allbut new.

3tomany, Apr 12, 9:12pm
Yes and 3 stars back then was still bad.

3tomany, Apr 12, 9:16pm
Absolute crap. Transit has 5 stars so one would assume they paid to get it on your theory. But wait Mustang got 2 stars and that really pissed ford off given it had a high rating in the USA. Euro ratings as floored as they are still hold consistency between similar model and brands.

billy.bragg, Apr 12, 9:17pm
Our Transit got stolen. The partner misses it.