What is better a cambelt or a chain driven .

Page 5 / 5
tony9, Jan 11, 3:40pm

orphic1, Jan 11, 3:57pm
Just had new cambelt, water pump, tensioner and idlers fitted to wife’s runabout at 60k as per manufacturer’s recommendation. $1542.00 later

mechnificent, Jan 11, 4:01pm
What sort of car ?

franc123, Jan 11, 4:13pm
Service the car correctly and it isnt a problem. If you are in doubt about its condition it was easy enough to pull the belt cover off and physically check it (fracture marks appearing at the base of the teeth is the best indicator) and not much more difficult at that stage to just renew it. As I said earlier not expensive at a garage either. With the two of them I had I did the belt, tensioner and all the seals after purchase and never worried about the belts again in the time I had them for.

franc123, Jan 11, 4:20pm
From 1970-73 yes, replaced with 1600 OHC from then on. It actually wasnt the base engine, a 1300 was also fitted to Mk3's for most of the time they were on sale in NZ.

orphic1, Jan 11, 4:59pm
Megane RS265. The wife didn't want a nana car.

paul861, Jan 11, 6:13pm
had a 1600 crossflow in one ,first car, 1600 capri head(bigger valves) and a bit of a cam . it went ok

mechnificent, Jan 11, 6:24pm
Well that price doesn't sound too bad then. I see there's quite a bit to take off.

orphic1, Jan 11, 7:21pm
Yip. Happy wife happy life

mechnificent, Jan 11, 7:49pm
Damn right. Lucky guy. Mine died ! Money's only any good to us while we're alive.

apollo11, Jan 11, 7:53pm
Sorry to hear that mech. I plan to kick off before the missus, jokingly telling her that I'd like to vet my replacement, make sure that his diy skills are sufficiently polished.

mechnificent, Jan 11, 7:58pm
H. good luck. My missus always said she was going first, and with her boots on. and she did.

cjohnw, Jan 11, 8:00pm
I can honestly say I have never had a cambelt replaced on any car I have owned.
Never kept a vehicle close to 100,000 km.
Sold a commodore at 85,000 km but think that was a chain anyway.

kazbanz, Jan 13, 9:44am
back to original question-IMO a modern chain drive is better. on the basis that belt gives zero warning something is wrong. Chain gives plenty of warning.

franc123, Jan 13, 3:48pm
Unless it's a Ford Zetec. I serviced a Mondeo once and was perplexed by a bizarre rubbing sound from the engine, turns out that when it was idling the belt was deflecting far enough between the two cam sprockets that it was hitting the underside of the upper belt cover! Sure enough it was within 10,000km of needing a scheduled belt change.

apollo11, Jan 13, 4:20pm
That was the warning.

wind.turbine, Jan 13, 7:18pm
I had that once on an L200, was a new ute to me at the time so not long after I bought it I pulled cover off to check even though old owner which was supposedly a diesel mechanic had just replaced it.
Was rubbing on the inside of the cover and never through it, belt looked new but was shredded down the rubbing side.
He had put a washer behind the tensioner causing the belt to travel outwards into the cover

orphic1, Jan 14, 6:12pm
Sorry been away, all jokes aside condolences. I don't, knows how I could handle that honestly. Cheers

intrade, Sep 29, 10:01am
This is what a Real timing chain has to look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl6bMhB1O6Q double tooth triple Row! not like this 2$ shop child neckless chain https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8e/0c/ca/8e0cca4f0a7d81543c7c5dd1f4f3b8a5.jpg