Transit 2008 wont go into gear when running

tara.jm1, Aug 8, 2:35pm
Hi I have a 2008 2.4 litre tdci transit 6 speed manual. Clutch feels ok, but it wont go into gear when running. Will go through fine when turned off. Gear lever moves but just wont quite gpo in. Managed to start in gear and moved forward, but cant change gears. tips please?

Thanks

intrade, Aug 8, 3:56pm
so when you start it in gear the vehicle idles with clutch pressed and wont move forward till you let the clutch out= clutch works as normal.

tara.jm1, Aug 8, 4:03pm
Yep thats right, so any idea what could be stopping it changing gear or going into gear (any gear) when running? Had it 5 years and its never done this in the past. Until 2 weeks ago, but after it had warmed up it worked fine. Its been sitting for 4 months due to lockdown etc, but has been started, run and moved back and forward

intrade, Aug 8, 4:06pm
not really can you try start in secound gear and take it from there. Also i wonder if the clutch only works once as your description points to a clutch problem. but your test would show somhow something with the gearbox is wrong inside.
dual mass flywheel may have something to do with that symptom. Did you ever hear any noises from the transmission?
i go see if i find a DMF noise video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuHiEAsYleE

tara.jm1, Aug 8, 4:09pm
Will try 2nd gear too. Thinking its a trip to workshop on a tow truck :(

intrade, Aug 8, 4:13pm
try every gear if the gears are there and it starts to move stall in high gear when you let clutch out then i would say its the dual mass flywheel problem especially if you ever did hear that noise .Thats the noise of death of a DMF.

tara.jm1, Aug 8, 4:15pm
Hubby said he thinks he only went forward on the starter motor, the engine didnt really start properly. when he tested it starting in gear. Not sure if that makes a difference?

tara.jm1, Aug 8, 4:17pm
Just tells me its not really starting, just moving off the starter motor, he had to turn key off, couldn't "stall it" as such

intrade, Aug 8, 4:25pm
See how i predict it works is the dual mass flywheel has 2 masses they have springs and can tilt wooble if worn . If you put it in gear with engine stoped. then the 2 masses dont wooble abouts hence you can put it in gear. you start it up and its woobling so much and it wont let you select gears as its now woobling all over the place . Also dont delete it fords are not made to handle a delete like VW diesel.
if you watch this you can see if it runs and moves over the bolts how it could clamp your clutch down again and then no gear can be selected.
its my thinking its most probably your DMF from all the current information you presented.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkGb_LfjXz4

tara.jm1, Aug 8, 4:32pm
Thanks for your help, as suspected most likely out of league, will get it into work shop :)

Thanks again

intrade, Aug 8, 4:33pm
that would be not disangaging of the clutch . if the slave cilinder is outside you can check if it moves correct travel. if it is internal its gearbox down anyhow.
Whats the current milage and was clutch and dualmass ever done?

tara.jm1, Aug 8, 4:47pm
Done 250,000km, and more than likely never touched

msigg, Aug 8, 5:31pm
That symptom on an older car means the clutch and or pressure plate is stuffed. Get a new clutch.

nice_lady, Aug 8, 5:34pm
If someone puts the wrong oil in the gearbox it can cause gear changes to be very problematic.

tara.jm1, Aug 8, 5:54pm
oils good but is due for a service too. workshop Monday via a transporter

solarboy, Aug 9, 11:36am
Hey, I'm no mechanic, but it's not just the plates rusted a bit and stuck together through lack of use over colder, damper months during lockdown perhaps ? If that's the case you just need to get a bit brutal and 'shock' them apart. I could go in to a few methods but way quicker if you Google the symtoms and likely find some detailed methods already up there from somewhere around the planet. Probably the first thing a workshop would try before they tore it all apart. Good luck.

tara.jm1, Aug 9, 1:03pm
Thank you Solarboy! Gave me something different to search for! Its now going, only took the first part, didn't need to drop it off jack, thankfully as it 4.5 ton :) Its lives, just took it over and filled with diesel yay!

Thank you, link attached just in case its useful to others.

http://www.mossmotoring.com/free-seized-clutch-disc/?fbclid=IwAR0SNnKqYwU-q2c09G8kN2f4hZEUhTTID5vtrIp0119-IcnRav8eqfq2Yro

solarboy, Aug 9, 1:26pm
Well done ! Maybe that's where the saying " Worth a crack" or "Give it a crack" came from .

tara.jm1, Dec 10, 9:03am
Maybe :)