A qustion for qualified mechanics.

Page 1 / 2
azzab54, Jun 24, 5:10pm
Would you let your boss who knows nothing about working on cars,use your tools after hours without you being there ?

Also do you lock your toolbox at the end of the day before heading home ?

tygertung, Jun 24, 5:15pm
Your boss should ask permission before using your personal possessions.

msigg, Jun 24, 5:18pm
Above didn't answer the question. Yes my boss is great and I would let him use my tools any day. If he was a real dork then no because I wouldn't be there long enough. Yes tools should be locked and stored appropriately.

kazbanz, Jun 24, 5:21pm
Tools locked in tool box end of day. -fin

annie17111, Jun 24, 5:31pm
Husband is a panel beater and said he would let his boss use his tools as long as he put them back where they belong, and no he doesnt lock his tool box.

franc123, Jun 24, 5:48pm
No, and much of the reasoning why lies in the first sentence.
Sounds like someone needs to read their own H&S manual. Apprentices who have had appropriate training should be the only unqualified people using tools on the premises, nobody else. As for locking gear away, if I've completed that days work, generally yes, if the current job is carry over, most likely no.

sr2, Jun 24, 6:25pm
There is nothing in the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 that states that?

franc123, Jun 24, 6:38pm
If you want to do otherwise, go right ahead. I sure as hell ain't taking the liability for it.

dymo27, Jun 24, 6:48pm
Liability for what? How does this relate to H&S?

sr2, Jun 24, 6:57pm
If you've got a well documented HIRAC risk management system in place with the relevant SWOPS, risk evaluation and continuous review processes in place you're someway towards managing the work environment as the Worksafe demands.

H&S is very similar to the fair trading act - you can't contract your way out of it " I sure as hell ain't taking the liability for it" would not work in a NZ court of law.

Don't get me wrong, yes I think the current H&S legislation in places is an ass but it is the commercial & legal environment that all NZ businesses have to operate in.

azzab54, Jun 24, 6:59pm
If i could add to the situation. Boss has no trade qualifications in any trade. He has also done some minor repairs after hours that have failed because of a lack of knowledge of what he was doing. He has used my tools before but never returned them and ive had to replace them at my expense. Hence my decision to lock up everything.
Thanks for your thoughts.

sr2, Jun 24, 7:22pm
Well done mate, I think you've already made the right decision.

franc123, Jun 24, 7:29pm
Id be wanting compo for the missing gear if you could prove he'd taken it and then bailing. Don't take crap out of rubbish employers, you don't have to.

dublo, Jun 24, 7:31pm
And a lesson I learned from an Air NZ avionics engineer: :"A job isn't finished until all the tools have been cleaned and packed away."

franc123, Jun 24, 7:33pm
Quite right. Its the customers work that has got them dirty after all.

franc123, Jun 24, 7:37pm
Study up on what 'risk management' actually encompasses.

sr2, Jun 24, 7:57pm
Mate, no offence intended but what NZ H&S qualifications do you have?

marte, Jun 24, 8:37pm
You can always tell the quality of a Tradesman by the quality of his tools.

And the reason hes got good tools, is because he dosnt f#####g lend them.

No, personal tools are your own. Not anybody elses. Same with safety gear.

cabrio1, Jun 24, 8:42pm
Lock your box at the end of the day.
Your tools, your property, your cost.

roberto9, Jun 25, 8:06pm
when I worked with some aviation guys, first mission at end of job was to account for all tools, to be sure nothing was left behind.

sandypheet, Jun 26, 9:14am
Well done guys, not one reply saying you would stay back and help him, no arse lickers on this thread.

dublo, Jun 26, 10:16am
Same thing in surgery - don't leave any forceps, scalpels or swabs in the patient!

tygertung, Jun 26, 10:19am
Well if the boss offered to pay overtime that would be no problem

3tomany, Jun 26, 10:27am
If by overtime you mean a box then all good.

mrfxit, Jun 26, 5:31pm
#1 The quality of someones tools, has nothing to do with the quality of the tradesmans workmanship.
It only shows that they have spent the money.
#2 Correct in part but also that those tools don't get loaned to idiots
#3 Correct, personal tools are simply that, but company supplied tools to that specific worker are also off bounds to casual loaners