Why are import goods delayed.

intrade, Dec 29, 11:35am
There was a final explanation and it has to do with what else corner cutting cheap skating and what happens when a domino starts to fall.
You all know the container ship unloading in north-land because port Auckland is blocked and a lot of ships dont come here as they know they just end up in the gridlock. But that is not what the real cause is.
Why the gridlock if no ships supposedly come here. Well my google spam news revealed what the issue is.

intrade, Dec 29, 11:43am
So why is port auckland gridlocked . everyone is fired to run automated robots that crash malfunction over the barriers. Well thats not helping at all but its not the problem.
This is the explenation for demonstration of what the problem is only not dates and numbers and names to be accurate or not.
The problem is that the law changed in 1990 or so that local goods can be transported by container ship like one that comes from rotterdam docks all over the planet then docks in auckland and takes local goods to south island port.
But these ships are delayed or dont come here now, and new zealand have used these because they are cheaper then to pay nz workers and nz shipping has shrunk to just 1 container ship. Now all the goods that these international ships where taking to tauranga auckland littelton . all these goods are grid-locking ports because they dont get moved and have to be moved alternatively now.
That was a logical explanation what really made the dominos fall to cause this grid-locking. cutting costs not pay no one wages because slaves from other country work cheaper comes as payback now.

kazbanz, Dec 29, 11:44am
I can tell you for FACT that MPI have been a major contributing factor for very recent gridlock. They decided that every vehicle coming off several Christmas arrival ships had to be inspected. This held up fergusson by several days at a peak time.
This seems to be pretty universal across the port.

tony9, Dec 29, 11:58am
Not all international container ships berth in Auckland. Unfortunately most people, particularly news media don't know that New Zealand is more than Auckland.

International container ships berth and unload in at least Lyttelton (a lot), Dunedin, Tauranga and other places.

mechnificent, Dec 29, 12:03pm
Al lot of freight used to come by air too. It took up spare room/weight and was subsidised by the passengers. Now it's too expensive so it's getting shipped.

tweake, Dec 29, 12:15pm
thats a big reason.
last time work sent cargo overseas the air freight price had tripled so it went by ship.

also covid which causes hassles for any workers who need to board ships etc.

plus shipping around the world has been disrupted.
also a lot of factories around the world have slowed down due to covid restrictions.

what may make things worse here, is some industries stopped stocking parts in NZ, instead they fly them in from aussie. saves a lot of $$$ in storage. however that goes up the creek when planes are not flying.

plus local deliveries are flat out because everyone is ordering on line. just another delay in the supply chain.

everything is crap at the mo. it is what it is, just have to ride it out.

mechnificent, Dec 29, 2:37pm
Yeah. Used to be if you ordered online it would be here from America or England or anywhere in a week or so. now a month to six weeks.
Bloody inconvenient. lol

elect70, Dec 29, 2:51pm
Parts from UK get here by air pretty quick mine only took 10 days bu
tair
freight was expensive despite it travelling around europe then singapore then aussie & worked out to be only slightly cheaper than from NZ dealers quote .

mechnificent, Dec 29, 2:56pm
I ordered a big pile of john deer manuals once from America and the add said freight anywhere in the world in a week. It took nine days and so when I mailed acknowledging it's arrival I kidded the guy that it had taken nine days. He got back to me and reckoned he was real sorry but he hadn't known where NZ was. And "it had had to go right across the country to get on the plane". I thought that was pretty funny. Blimmen yanks.

carstauranga001, Dec 29, 6:43pm
Correct. And in fact Port Of Tauranga has the largest number of container movements per annum in NZ. Every year we take more of Auckland due to Port Of Auckland's inefficiencies. Faster turnarounds save shipping companies millions per annum.

s_nz, Dec 29, 10:35pm
It's a global issue.

Has a few factors:
- Many high output factories were shutdown at the start of the year due to the virus. - Have been running higher outputs lately to make up for unmet demand.
- Less passenger planes means less cheap cargo room on lower decks. Marginal stuff now goes by sea. (likely with bigger orders to compensate for the time lost in transit).
- Linked with the above shipping companies have moved ships to higher demand / profit routes that were well served by air. Pulled ships of weaker routes to do this.
- Global lock-downs caused delays in devanning containers, so more containers were held full on lots and less were sent back to factories. Caused a global shortage of empty containers, and surges in container availability.

The above has caused issues for the shipping industry globally.

Ports of Auckland have specific issues as mentioned above. They were winding down much of their manually driven straddle teams etc, but have yet to get their automated straddles fully commissioned. Delays with the commissioning process, stacked with a boom in sea freight volumes and inability to hire back straddle drivers has left them with their pants down. Other ports in NZ have preformed a lot better, but this is still a global issue.

robinm1, Dec 30, 1:17pm
a lot of the delay is here in NZ. I received a LP today that came from Germany, it was posted in Germany on the 19th of November, I tracked its movements, it arrived in Auckland on the 15th of December and was delivered to my home in Woodville today, the 30th of December. 26 days to get from Germany to Auckland , followed by 10 days to get from Auckland to here, that was after 1 phone call and 3 emails to courier post!

mechnificent, Dec 30, 1:30pm
Lol. hope Intrade doesn't hear about this.

apollo11, Dec 30, 2:29pm
We had stuff from the US arrive in six days from time of order. The stuff ordered from NZ stores took a bit longer.

mechnificent, Dec 30, 2:42pm
Yeah bloody good aye. The good old days. when we didn't have to pay gst either.

mechnificent, Dec 30, 2:43pm
I've had stuff from America and UK in a week before. but not any more.

socram, Dec 30, 5:41pm
You mean when there was a purchase tax, an import tax, a duty, a tariff etc. and most people went to Singapore to do their shopping for electronics, cameras etc. as they were so expensive here?

I was charged $300 duty on a ghetto blaster when I came in 1983.

mechnificent, Oct 3, 5:55pm
Ha. You are lucky you didn't have to go to see a post master to get some overseas funds approved. I used to subscribe to a boating mag and had to every year, tell him what it was, prove it wasn't available in NZ, get his approval then pay him in cash for a chit of overseas funds which I used to mail off.

Ah those were the days. Things were simple back then. Unless it was a new car you wanted to buy.!