Awesome cambelt tool

mrfxit, Aug 2, 1:49pm

budgel, Aug 2, 2:07pm

kiwilandchch, Aug 2, 2:21pm
I tried these on a 1996 toyota 3sge but wouldnt fit to lock cams so binned them they were junk

differentthings, Aug 2, 2:44pm
nothing wrong with 2 spanners locked together with some vice grips. A lot cheaper as well lol

laurelanne, Aug 2, 4:48pm
I know the mechanic that patented this idea about twenty years ago. From memory, his was a lot simpler and made out of metal. The Patent must have expired.

richynuts, Aug 2, 5:29pm
Cut the old existing belt in half (length!) throw away front half . slide on new belt then cut off the rest of the old half. sorted.

bigfatmat1, Aug 2, 8:38pm
this sounds like a horribly awkward way of doing things. Why not just line up marks remove belt put new one on.

bitsy_boffin, Aug 2, 8:56pm
. realise you got the wrong belt

ronaldo8, Aug 2, 9:52pm
. and you live in Armpitsburgh, 150 clicks from nowhere.

franc123, Aug 3, 1:21am
I've seen that before it won't work on a lot of engines, it would depend on how the belt is guided. If one of the sprockets on say a water pump has a non removable flange on it which stops the belt from walking off, you're screwed.

rbd, Aug 3, 9:20am
It's not often you have to change a cambelt, so just do the job properly?

A good opportunity to replace camshaft cover seal and do a visual check of cams as a minimum. You will never get timing as accurate as using the internal timing marks that are present (using Toyota 3S engine as example).

Toyota practice used to be do the cambelt only at 100,000 kms. You were then more than likely to have to do something (camshaft cover seal, water pump, camshaft or crank seals) within another 60-80,000 kms anyway.

Last car I did cambelt on cost me $25 for a camshaft cover seal from Honda, was even on the shelf. Took all of four minutes to get the cover off too.

NZer's are too cheap on car maintenance now.

Experience tells me the cost of replacing a cam seal later exceeds the cost of doing it right at the time.

mrfxit, Aug 3, 1:47pm
Well at least the concept is great.
Probably won't work on all gears but looks like a great idea.
Always a pita when a cam flips over a few tooth halfway through a job.

intrade, Dec 12, 4:14pm
i have a similar one also never of any use and i normally can see if something is useless but i did not .