What would you use to repower a CF Bedford van?

Page 2 / 3
busdriverman, Mar 12, 12:15pm
A Detroit 4-53 turbo would be cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txOjcpscq14

kiwilandchch, Mar 12, 3:16pm
these days an electric motor hmm

steve56467, Mar 12, 4:25pm
It’s to be a camper it won’t be a daily driver, so electric is definitely out.

joanie32, Mar 12, 4:44pm
Nothing at all wrong with using the Holden straight six still.

There’s a reason why there were dozens of these done back in the day - they went very well.

It’s a simple, and a well proven swap.

steve56467, Mar 12, 5:02pm
Back in the day there was nothing better around to be fair. Parts are no doubt less common than some other engines around now. However yes it’s been done before many times it’s still an option due to its simplicity ie no electronics. And it could always be worked just a little. There’s probably more efficient motors around

tamarillo, Mar 12, 6:23pm
Ok, so straight six is preferable size and layout. BMW 3 litre straight six. Should be easy to get out of an e39 530 and comes with nice 5 speed box. Getting older e39 should make electrics okay.

clark20, Mar 12, 6:36pm
Maybe a V6 Nissan, lot around and reliable, or even a Lexus V6. Might as well go LS. only 212kg.

bwg11, Mar 12, 6:59pm
Nothing wrong with the old 202 Holden, also in keeping with the era. Parts everywhere. If you are desperate for more grunt, why not a XR6?

car__parts, Mar 12, 7:24pm
The aussie vans had a holden motor. I have done a 202 with 4 speed conversion, and 2.6 PAX with origonal van g.box and diff.

mrfxit, Mar 13, 10:19am
What ever you use, will be a lot of work.
If you can do most of it your self, then great, but if getting others to do it, Forget it.

A modern Diesel would be brilliant but you have the added cert work for swapping fuel types, but could save on brakes & suspension mods a bit.
Any "V" engine will take a lot more body/ suspension rehash work then a straight 6.
While ideal with a Euro straight 6,(torque/ economy/smooth), I wouldn't touch it unless it was really low kms & preferably coming from a front cut donor car.

Cert work includes the entire brakes/springs used & running gear mounting systems so whatever you fit needs to be with a minimum of extra cutting/welding/ bending etc.
Bolt in as near as OEM possible is achievable but not by many ppl.
Most ppl just hack away/ weld it up & then get shitty when it gets knocked back for not conforming to LVV specs.

steve56467, Mar 13, 10:24am
I really thought a straight 6 like an RB would be the way to go, until I found this.
https://v6conversions.net.au/bedford/

mrfxit, Mar 13, 10:41am
Going to be tight to do any maintenance on the v6
Those commodore v6's also seem to suffer from head gasket leaks on a semi regular basis.
Otherwise a good engine

mrfxit, Mar 13, 10:44am
Holden 6's were plentiful & cheap back then plus reasonably reliable with plenty of go good parts around.
Not many around now, also a bit thirsty compared to modern 6's

sr2, Mar 13, 1:22pm
Yes an injected black motor from a VK is still a great option particularly if you upgrade the Denso ECU with an aftermarket unit.

mrfxit, Mar 13, 3:33pm
Upgrade injector system & any control systems
True extractor exhaust system
Upgrade ign system
Stick a small turbo on it

Would give a lot more torque & better economy while possibly a better lifespan depending on how it's treated

OR, just go for a QD32 Nissan Diesel (3.2 turbo diesel) & 5 speed box.
Only real weak point there is the gearbox but they do take a beating if not hammered hard.
If the matching Nissan diff can be made to fit with minimal hassle, then theres your drive train package done, (wheels & all possibly)
Probably about the same weight & HP as the Holden & cheaper job overall, but the Diesel will still have more torque for pulling that Flying Brick (van body)
Eg: common upgrade on a Nissan TD27 van/ 4x4 is around $3500 drive away swap & certed.

tweake, Mar 13, 4:22pm
thats a good setup.
could also do toyota 1kzt with manual pump conversion.
if shifter location is a problem, you can use an electronic auto. even manualised if need be.

of course there is the straight 6's like 1hzt or the td42t, which also have lots of bolt on upgrades available.
tho the extra weight might be an issue.
one good things with the 4cyl is it leaves more room for radiator and intercoolers.

socram, Mar 13, 9:42pm
First of all, as above, I'd rule out any cast iron 6 lump, simply on the basis of weight. An alloy V8 will weigh much less.

Secondly, as others have already mentioned, LVVTA certification discussions are a must. Even then, you may need to consult their 200 page manual that I wasn't even made aware of by the certifier, when I started the build.

Although fuel injection might well be the way to go (sr2), I'm more than happy with the Rover V8 on carbs, and others a Chevy V8, also on carbs, as they are plentiful and relatively simple. If I can wire one up from scratch, it can't be that difficult, but the three years of aggravation with LVVTA and compliance - and a shed load of extra spending - remains a period of my life I'd rather forget.

neville48, Mar 15, 4:29pm
Nissan Navara LD28 Turbo Diesel and 5 spd. all day.

gsimpson, Mar 15, 4:44pm
x1
Esprit engine was based on Vauxhall block. Even uses the same engine mounts.

tweake, Mar 15, 6:09pm
navaras never came out with them.
LD28 where in the early patrols and a few cars.
probably quite rare to find these days.

emmerson1, Mar 15, 10:48pm
x1
I had one with a Chevy 327 that I wish I had had a shed to put it at the back of so I could get it out now. It was 25 years ago but I still occasionally have dreams that I am driving it. It was beautiful (actually a piece of cr@p really). Nearly failed a warrant once - three tesing guys standing around, one revving it up and another shouting "It's too loud" and the others calling back "What? "

strobo, Mar 21, 8:37pm
agree did many repowers myself of the above , The Nissan ED33 or SD 4cyl was popular fit down here too with the inline pump besides the LD28/Rd 28 /350 chev/ and holdens of course.

strobo, Mar 21, 9:02pm
He's alright in small doses lol.disguised himself pretty well being a reborn ! A wealth of knowledge. but can be tight lipped.Id say a very clever bugga .

3tomany, Mar 21, 9:44pm
Na not that clever just a good bugger that will always help.

framtech, Aug 31, 6:40pm
slip a modern 1500 or 2000cc turbo motor and box in it, issue will be the gearbox (auto or manual as most these days are 6 speed auto)
The computer issue can be sorted with an after market ecu but you won't have cruise control and all that other crap), you then won't need the cat in the exhaust and you won't have a drive for the speedo.
If you can marry the new motor onto the existing gearbox then problem solved. the late model ucu like the link atom have the boost enrichment and knock sensors. you will need to change the fuel pump and make sure you have a pre filter before the pump as they don't like any crap through the pump and will fail time and time again. for an easy path just go and buy a LDV G10 petrol, it will blow the doors off the CF year in year out.If its not your daily driver, store in in a garage for longevity, thats all.