What would you use to repower a CF Bedford van?

Page 1 / 3
steve56467, Mar 11, 8:46pm
All Bedford jokes aside, I think the 202 red motor is a bit old hat by now. A V8 must be pretty noisy inside the cab and maybe unnecessary. Who thinks a V8 is the way to go, must be somebody here who’s had one. 3.8 Holden Buick motor? 1JZ?
Anybody seen a more modern lump pounded through the floor of a cf? Something plentiful easily found and available parts etc
Feasible suggestions?

steve56467, Mar 11, 8:48pm
It’s the small one, 230, low roof, not the big heavy duty lump with dual wheels

sr2, Mar 11, 8:51pm
Have you replaced the diff with a more suitable ratio?
(i.e. PC Cresta or 3.3 Victor).

steve56467, Mar 11, 9:02pm
Good suggestion. Basically I want more power though, cruising at 100, pulling over hills without 30 cars behind me, instead of working a slant 4

sr2, Mar 11, 9:12pm
You'll need to budget for at least changing the diff ratio and if going to V8 you'll need a heavier rear end.
The 3.8 V6 is not a huge improvement over the venerable Holden Red and any "V" configuration motor seriously restricts driver foot room in a CF.

tweake, Mar 11, 9:15pm
does it have to be petrol?
must be plenty of turbo diesels around with reasonable power. a lot better for pushing that weight around with.

tony9, Mar 11, 9:19pm
Of course you know it will need a modification cert, so you need to be discussing the transplant with your certifier about now.

franc123, Mar 11, 9:25pm
Colorado Motori commonrail diesel and 6 spd auto is what I would use if I could be bothered with one of those heavy old rust traps. Going to a modern diesel is the only thing that will deliver decent torque and economy.

steve56467, Mar 11, 9:28pm
Mostly the idea of a diesel clattering next to my knee inside the cab put me off. The ambulances all had the red motor so been done plenty of times, fairly outdated now isn’t it? Must be something more efficient etc. Or do you guys think keep it simple low tech?

evotime, Mar 11, 9:31pm
x1
The skid factory is a great YouTube channel and did a barra repower of a bedford. Definitely not his best or most loved repower but still a good watch

https://youtu.be/eA_dkvjUUu4

steve56467, Mar 11, 9:36pm
x1
Ahh haa I watched that last night. Bit disappointing there’s no skids at the end. That’s bit more than I was thinking. Definitely. “interesting”!

steve56467, Mar 11, 9:37pm
Also I saw them hack a huge section from the X member to fit that in?

tweake, Mar 11, 9:47pm
the downside of most modern stuff is the complex electronics.
so it may pay to keep to the stuff thats already been well sorted.
eg toyota 4l v8, holden 3.8 v6.
or go old school carbs.

unfortunately i don't know what room you have to play with in those.
or if this is something thats going to driven a lot.

trogedon, Mar 11, 10:21pm
A friend had a Rover 4 speed with electric overdrive gearbox behind a 202 in his custom CF. That went well.

sr2, Mar 11, 10:48pm
Hey; your "modern electronics" are anything but complicated.
I cut my teeth with Zenith, SU & Solex - graduated to Holley, Weber and Dellorto and then had my mind blown discovering fuel injection. Get your head around how it works (Google is your friend) and you'll never look back.

3tomany, Mar 11, 11:00pm
Make contact with these guys. Fish is very helpful but gary is the bedford guru.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/897021743652183

3tomany, Mar 11, 11:05pm

kazbanz, Mar 11, 11:17pm
V8 imo isn’t the way to go . 4.0 l straight 6 would be torquey enough

redhead18, Mar 11, 11:23pm
To be honest back in the day a 327-later years on LD28 was the go.
Nowadays weell shoot me down in flames BUT a Toyota 1HDT diesel and auto would IMHO be a good start point for drivability reliability and economy

Aye ole fish. good bugga

3tomany, Mar 11, 11:56pm
Old posters will remember him. Yip a genuine good bugger.

marte, Mar 12, 12:08am
LD28 was quite common. There's been a few CF Bedford's being sold on Facebook in Invercargill lately, one with LD28.

I heard something about dumping the whole van onto a 1985 Mitzi L300 chassis, and I know a Buick V6 would fit in a L300 because I have seen that done before. Gives a 4WD CF Bedford with a Buick V6. Quite a project I expect.

gph1961, Mar 12, 8:07am
nissan RB sohc they have a little lean
went for yonks in JDM

paul861, Mar 12, 8:25am
5.9 cummins. roll some coal

intrade, Mar 12, 8:52am
i would get inspiration from deboss garage. what ever you do . What ever you do keep in mind it will cost big money and certification if you change engines, if you dont have 20k+ then forget it before you start.

tamarillo, Mar 12, 9:08am
Electric. If only short distance machine it would have torque, easy to position, quiet, etc. perfect.