Garage heating?

Page 2 / 2
desmodave, Jun 11, 3:08am
Step 1 , move Camry close to where your working . Step 2 , plum an exhaust pipe to vent outside . Step 3 open all Camry doors . Step 4 start engine and set heater on Max . Cheap and reliable so the word goes :-) . I see the Tool shed are advertising heated jackets and vests , add in a few star jumps and bobs ya granny .

morrisman1, Jun 11, 7:27am
Interesting thoughts on the heat pump. Kinda makes me wanna insulate my shed one day and do that, in the summer it gets very hot so the cooling aspect would be attractive too. Might be some goals for down the track. In the mean time I have a Jetfire DI16 Infrared diesel heater, its about 16kw rated output and is the perfect size for my 60m3 shed with 3m stud. Sometimes you can get a slight smell with it, sometimes its odourless (I wonder if its something to do with our diesel). Good little unit, and over summer just stash it away. Bonus is it can be quite handy for heating up parts if you want a broad heat, for like bearing housings etc rather than a more focused heat like the gas torch provides.

s_nz, Jun 11, 12:53pm
If you do go diesel, Note the distinction between the unit in the initial post. That one does not have an exhaust pipe for combustion fumes, and as such is not suitable for poorly ventilated areas.

The diesel heater one posted in #16 has an air intake & exhaust plumbed to the outside, so no worry about fumes.

This (and other's like it) is a blatant knock off of the Eberspacher D2 & D4 heaters. These are designed for campervans, boats, and as parking heaters in cars / trucks in very cold climates. As such they are designed to be run in enclosed spaces, and from battery voltages.

I think these are a great option if power supply is an issue, but they don't justify their cost compared to a dirt cheap electric heater for household use.

peanuts37, Jun 11, 1:11pm
I use one of these to power mine 12v 15a. Works a treat. Bought mine in case of power cuts primarily, have a portable gas heater but diesel heater would be much cheaper to run, safer and nearly as portable.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847146374.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.3d513003Cl8c9j

intrade, Jun 11, 4:30pm
diesel heater be the one steve rob is from canada and he uses one of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UEnxv4CGrM

gunhand, Jun 11, 5:19pm
Thanks for the replies.
I did a bit of a look around today and actually got to see two diesel burners in action, both pretty much the same as in my link. One was in a retail shop and had been for years, they said thy have no issues at all with smell or residue ad the other was also in retail shop and same thing no issues at all.
LPG wasn't as expensive as I thought it may have been but not overly portable with large bottle. Even seen one of those radiant heaters in action. Not bad while standing in front of it but do they heat the area?
I wouldnt be running anything flat stick all day anyway, just to get the chill off to promote enthusiasm to work, once you get going you tend to warm up naturally anyway. And no Im not silly enough to shut my self in an air tight room with LPG or Diesel etc. Garage isn't exactly air tight anyway and ventilation is no issue.
I could just buy a heated vest LOL.
Decisions decisions.

robinm1, Jun 11, 5:21pm
when I worked in chch many years ago, we had a freestanding pot belly stove with a drum of waste oil mounted above it, with a 1/8" copper pipe from the oil drum dripping into the pot belly. we had a tap on the copper pipe to regulate the flow of oil. The whole pot belly and the first couple of feet of flue used to glow red!

intrade, Jun 11, 6:59pm
you get what you pay for that radiant heater is basically a mind trick. 1kw electricity dont magically heats a whole room as it has a phisical limited ammount that the 1kw contains concerted in heat no matter how many moreons like elon musk or there like to tell you otherwise.
Diesel has massive ammount of energy per kg fuel and turning it in to heat is more efficient then to turn it in to motion. 1kw is 1kw its not 2 kw by magic somhow.
https://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/facts-and-figures/heat-values-of-various-fuels.aspx

clangie, Jun 12, 6:52am
if you have access to wood then just get a 2nd hand fire-one of those cast pot belly ones if possible, but a fire in the corner will make it toastie as

gpg58, Jun 12, 9:08am
Just thought i would add, that those radiant diesel heaters, gas heaters and pot belly and other fires, all have the same issue imo, i use thinners, solvents etc a fair bit, so an easy source of ignition, would be a big NO for me.

intrade, Jun 12, 9:25am
thats gona be a difficult one probably a portable heat pump then instead.
the issue is the heat will be gone few minutes after you turn off if its not fully insulated. insulation will be what you will need to bring cost down . otherwise a ducting system diesel heater outside and only hot air pushed inside. with some flame arrestor gate. My uncle had a sortof setup like this with a diesel heater.

s_nz, Jul 27, 12:56pm
I really think that those cannon style diesel heaters aren't a great idea for a double garage. I think 20kW of heat is really excessive for the purposes of taking the chill off a double garage. It is also going to consume a lot of space (discharge clearance so it doesn't melt stuff in your garage. - discharge temp can be around 250C) Space will be at a premium if you are working on a car in a double garage.

Personally would rather not breath the combustion fumes, and have associated moisture in the garage regardless of if they can be smelt. I would not consider a double garage with the door close to be well ventilated in the context of such a heater. The things you need to be worried about (oxygen depletion & carbon monoxide) are odorless. Would recommend you get a carbon monoxide alarm at least.

Portable heat pumps could be an idea.

I didn't consider them because at 3-4kWh output they are a bit small, but you could get two of them and pick ones that will run off a single circuit. Can get them used for about $300 each. Might even be able to sell them at a profit in the summer. Less efficient than a mounted heatpump.