Jaguar goes full electric.

cjohnw, Feb 16, 7:15am

tamarillo, Feb 16, 8:21am
The next ten years are going to be a roller coaster watching the auto industry. They’re having to predict a future that seems too far away properly predict. Long lead times for development but no one knows for sure where it’s heading with technology.

tamarillo, Feb 16, 8:33am
Note they keep they’re options open by saying only jag, they can use LR and RR a for SUV with ice or hybrid as they already do.

esprit, Feb 16, 1:08pm
I'll keep running my big, fun petrol powered Jaguars thanks.

buyit59, Feb 16, 1:37pm
Beginning the transition in 2025. so don't worry esprit you will still be able to get a petrol Jag after that even if its only a little while .

trade4us2, Feb 16, 1:45pm
I drove my Jag from Auckland past Hokianga and back and for the next week, on one tank. Can an EV go that far without charging? How long does it take to charge?

s_nz, Feb 16, 2:54pm
Auckland to Hokianga is 275.9km one way, or 551.8km round trip.

Yes, An EV can go that far without stopping. The latest Tesla Model S has a 647km range based on the EPA test cycle. (But can't be ordered from NZ for a few months as they are doing a mind cycle refresh).

Jag's current only electric car is the ipace. They advertise it here as having a 470km range based on the (very optimistic) WLTP cycle. In the USA it is marketed as having a 396km range based on the EPA cycle. I find the EPA cycle to be pretty realistic for NZ.

So with the ipace, one would need to stop for a bit of a charge on the way back (if you couldn't charge at your destination). The ipace can charge at 100kW, which would take 27mins to add and additional 200km range. Currently all the compatible fast chargers north of Auckland are 50kW max, so with the current chargers adding 200km would take just under an hour. Fine if you can pair it up with a relaxed lunch, but not ideal if you are sitting and waiting.

It is a reasonable assumption that come 2025, high end electric cars like jaguars will feature both longer ranges and faster charge rates than today's model's. The Porsche Taycan can charge at 270kW for example.

A charger station (6 cars at a time) to support up to 300kW charging has been installed at bombay, and a 2nd is planned for taupo. Come 2025 there should be good coverage for 250kW+ fast charging.

alowishes, Feb 16, 3:29pm
Wow, hook a dozen or so Taycans up to charge them and they’ll drain the national grid!

harm_less, Feb 16, 4:02pm
Just one of the turbines at Waipipi wind farm will handle that load.

s_nz, Feb 16, 4:23pm
On grid generation is currently running at 5255MW (5,255,000kW). Yeah the taycan's draw a lot at peak charge rate, and the fast charge stations need a decent feed, but they pale in comparison with the scale of the grid.

tamarillo, Feb 16, 5:27pm
Battery tech is moving so fast range won’t be an issue in not too distant future.

tony9, Feb 16, 6:57pm
Maybe, but not normally. Usually they can only operate with an average load factor of less than 30%.

But don't worry, Huntley will continue to be available until at least the late 2030's and there is plenty of cheap coal available for it. And it can run at 100% load factor as required, not dependent on wind. And I see the third unit has been prepared for operation.

s_nz, Feb 16, 8:21pm
I was of the understanding that they balance their thirst with a large tank size.

A 2019 V8 XJ has a combined rating of 13.3L/100km, but with a 85 L tank, one would expect a range of 640km.

bitsnpieces2020, Feb 17, 8:44am
How many homes are 1 car in the garage homes? How is the typical working Mum & Dad going to both charge their EV's at home? What happens when the kid gets an EV too ? Also relevant a jaguar ipace is over $150,000. just lol @ the future.

s_nz, Feb 17, 9:27am
The charging system EV's use are suitable for outdoor use too. My EV is plugged in in the driveway at the moment. Charging sockets can be installed near off street parking locations if required. The Majority of NZ's housing stock has more than one off street carpark.

Where more cars are owned than off street carparks, it would be a bit of a chore, but likely workable. With cars like the kona (450km range), many could get away with just charging weekly. As such two cars or three cars could take turns with the overnight parking space, charging every 2 or 3 days and do fine.

Yes, the Jag iPace is a very expensive car. I don't think economy cars are really Jag's thing, and I don't think they have any interest in competing with the likes of the $50k MG ZS EV.

[Edit] - Wellington is running an on street EV charging trial. - If NZ matches with the UK and goes pure electric only from 2035, I would not be surprised if we see EV charger sockets for say 50% of on street car-parks in urban area's where off street parking is common.

socram, Sep 13, 11:48am
Classic Jags were never known for frugality, but if you parked a 3.8 Manual Mk 2 Jag, with wire wheels in my garage, or a series 1 E type, even an old Mk 5, I'd almost be happy just looking at it!

Jag E pace SUV is the same platform as the Freelander/Evoque and not at all thirsty and way, way less money than an I-Pace.

I thought maybe our now two year old current vehicle would be EV, but I merely reverted to petrol from almost 15 years of diesel, but I reckon there will be substantial changes in the next 5 years and EV's could easily be the Betamax of alternative power units.

Those living in the older inner city suburbs where there is zero off street parking may have major issues with charging EV's.