Bought cheap car, straight to petrol drive off

artemis, Jul 6, 8:21am
Young relative sold his car for cash via FB. Seems buyer went straight to service station, filled up and drove off. Maybe emptied the tank first. Young seller got a call same day saying pay up or else. Luckily seller was onto it and had changed ownership immediately so was able to prove the theft happened after the change. Not bad for a teenager.

I know FB can be the wild west, but is this a common occurrence? Chances are this wasn't the first time the buyer had done this, and with gas the price it is that can turn out to be a very cheap car.

saxman99, Jul 6, 8:32am
From NZTA:

“ Protect yourself:

Wait for the buyer to show you proof that they’ve notified us that they've bought the vehicle before handing over the vehicle.

Get the buyer to do it online while you are there, or get them to show you an email confirmation or receipt.”

kazbanz, Jul 6, 8:55am
Hang on a mo . How exactly were the station staff able to obtain the contact details of the person who ISN'T the registered owner let alone the actual registered owner. IE what means did they have to find his details ?
it isn't instant response even when you use the system normally.

pico42, Jul 6, 8:56am
Call from police, not service station staff?

artemis, Jul 6, 9:03am
Telling the story second hand so may have got the details a bit wrong. But what I understand is that our guy was still showing as the registered owner, but that a later check was made showing the new owner and the transfer time.

Is it common?

kazbanz, Jul 6, 9:05am
But if c of O was done . ohh wait--despite their stories to the contrary police computer is not up to date compared to LTSA
-Then again--how do the cops have a persons cell number

tony9, Jul 6, 10:00am
The buyer needs to change the registered person for it to become official. That the seller did his bit supported his evidence that the vehicle had changed hands before the drive off happened.

franc123, Jul 6, 10:30am
Ive heard of this happening before, but common? It probably is now. As has been said before over and over on here, you must do the changeover online BEFORE they leave, even if it's at your cost, and sight their drivers licence. If this is a problem for them. No Sale.
Apart from fuel theft, cheap cars are also a target for disqualified drivers who are very keen to do a deal with you because they had their previous clunker impounded last week. They got no money for fines allegedly but cash for replacement cars isnt a problem.

m16d, Jul 6, 10:45am
Always sell the car full of gas. problem solved.

saxman99, Jul 6, 4:06pm
I wondered the same thing when they called me a couple years ago about a car. I think I decided I might have supplied it when applying for a FAL.

kazbanz, Jul 6, 5:07pm
a few years back we had the opposite problem.
A car was traded in and we promptly got the two C of O done.
Easier/better to do car in /car out at the same time whilst customer is in the yard.
A few weeks later we got a parking ticket from the council.
Ticket issued same day as C of O completed and same street as old owner.
We had a heck of a bunfight with council.
We are not allowed to disclose previous owners identity. We proved C of O done later in the day ticket was issued.
Council wouldn't budge. Even though we proved we didn't possess the vehicle at time of ticket.

franc123, Jul 6, 5:41pm
They try this BS on because they know the public wont bother trying to fight them. Once they've issued at ticket they expect to get their revenue and they dont care who from. I suppose NZTA did not offer any further assistance.

marte, Jul 6, 10:34pm
You now have to give them, 1 your name, 2 your address, 3 your occupation, 4 your date of birth, 5 your phone number.
And while driving a vehicle, 1 the owner's name, 2 the owner's address.
If you don't know exactly, you can give them info as long as you are not lying.

gusthe1, Jul 7, 9:34am
Wrong. Name address and dob only.

kazbanz, Jul 7, 3:05pm
Actually no mate NZTA were rather helpful. They e mailed me full confirmation that C of O was transacted by the company at exactly 2.30pm on XX/XX/2019 . They also sent a link making it clear that WE could not disclose the information on the last owner.
Council response was "too bad" even when provided concrete proof we didn't own the vehicle at the time of the ticket.
My response was to request a formal hearing. I did also suggest they use THEIR legal right to check the name/address of the previous owner via NZTA.

kazbanz, Jul 13, 6:45pm
watcha talking aboot lewis?