How old / how often do you replace cars?

Page 1 / 2
rayonline_tm, Apr 4, 10:54am
Not sure if I belong to one of the more minor groups. Our cars don't have reverse cameras, no GPS. ABS brakes yes and airbags. No stereo AUX, factory stereo with the Japanese FM frequency haha.

1998 Camry and a 2004 VW Bora. Prob worth $2k each.

Cheers.

annie17111, Apr 4, 11:23am
We had a 1997 camry but replaced it with a 2013 dmax. They are awesome cars.
Hubby drove his 1989 ford courier for 7 years. He paid $800 for it and then sold it for $1800. He replaced it with a 1996 holden commodore ute. These cars will keep us going for a long time fingers crossed.

intrade, Apr 4, 11:29am
you also wont have the pleasure to pay 5 to 10 grand in repairs and the car still don't works right after. #1

gpg58, Apr 4, 11:50am
Age and safety systems fitted, has nothing to do with it for me, i buy want i want, when the mood strikes me, if i have the dollars to get it, including some old ones. (just replaced 2020 spark, with 2010 jimny for example(2 airbags and abs only), and still have a 1990 1000cc starlet with nothing, plus 2020 astra rsv with everything).
My rear engine 1989 hino house bus has nothing either, i used to think its big enough, and heavy enough to be fairly safe, but then i watched this - sure its a lot heavier 3 axle bus, but think the same laws of physics will apply if mine hits something unmovable, best i make sure like driving any of the others, to always be aware of what's happening, and drive safely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3VHiqDtDSI&t=94s

msigg, Apr 4, 2:00pm
You can't take the dosh with ya, enjoy life everyday while you can, whether that be newer cars or older, each to their own, the thing about the newer cars is that they are more reliable, and they have more safety features, also they often drive much nicer on the road, long distance driving is better in the newer cars, I have both and I tow, newer, more power, more economy, better driving. Go forth.

stevo2, Apr 4, 2:53pm
I have no set time frame for replacement. Have kept vehicles from 5 weeks to 14 years. Current van 5 years. Mrs Stevos Vitara nearly 2 years and the weekend MX5 2.5 years

trogedon, Apr 4, 3:14pm
Some newer cars are LESS reliable.

marte, Apr 4, 3:47pm
I tend to be the last owner of any of my cars.
So far theres only two i have sold, one back to the last owner as a part swap for another car, & another which most likely got stripped out for parts.

absolute_detail, Apr 4, 3:56pm
Luxury features, I dont even have wind down windows or intermittent wipers, no stereo, no power steering, no central locking, no carpet, no door cards, no a/c. the elctrical system consists of a battery, starter, alternator, lights, wipers and heater fan motor

harm_less, Apr 4, 4:16pm
We're running a 2012 Leaf and a 2001 Commodore SW. The Leaf will be due a battery upgrade in a few years and the Commodore has 260,000km on it but is still a reliable vehicle with ample power to tow our tandem trailer. It will be upgraded once an EV with sufficient range and towing ability moves into our price range. Really can't imagine we'll ever consider another fossil fueler so that dictates our ownership potentials.

owen106, Apr 4, 4:23pm
Last two cars I got rid of because they failed WOF again and needed expensive repairs again. Would have kept if they could get WOF.

sandypheet, Apr 4, 5:37pm
15 and a half years I replaced my Corona, 9 and a half for the VL before that and 8 and a half for the XD Falcon before that. Looks like I do things in halves. A Honda CRV sitting in the garage is 10 years of ownership and the Colorado is only two years.

kiwilandchch, Apr 4, 5:54pm
Wen i do upgrade ill be keeping my old car in to good nick just to flick an holds lot memories in all road trips ive done over the years around nz in her.

socram, Apr 4, 5:58pm
Primary vehicle, new, normally replaced after about 5 years, though I have managed 6, but the last traded in after just 3, as I decided that diesel may be more difficult to shift in the future, so have gone back to petrol.

Cooper S went after 18 years - only because I needed to slim down the fleet/collection.

One 1970 GT I have now had for exactly 30 years.

morrisman1, Apr 4, 9:13pm
typically have replaced cars every 4 years or so. Ive had the FG coon for a while now. its on 350,000km but ive done a bit to it to keep it looking like a 100k car. The problem is I cant replace it with anything that will do the job any better for less than a significant sum of money.

Yeah, its not the most economical with a combined average I get of 10L/100km, but its still cheaper than replacing it, and its nice to drive with very low potential for big maintenance costs. One day it will get replaced, might try get it to 500k

I've had the GTIR about 7 years now and think I'll keep it as they arent getting any easier to find.

smallwoods, Apr 4, 9:34pm
New or near new, mostly every 10 years.
2010 ranger street value was $15-18k, sold to a son for $5k.
Paid $40 when new, so $25k over 10 years is $2500/yr.
New colorado at $40k, should last me until 2030 (?)

s_nz, Apr 4, 11:23pm
No set schedule.

Our household has a 2014 Leaf, and a 2006 Lexus RX400h.

Similar setup as the prior poster. Use the leaf preferentially, but the lexus gets used if we need to tow, use roof rails, go intercity, need more space than a hatchback has to offer. Quite like the Lexus. I don't think it will replace it until there is a EV that we can afford that can do intercity trips, tow, and offer similar interior space and comfort. Recently launched Kia EV6 sounds workable, and the base RWD would be fine. Just need it to be sold here, and then 6 odd years of depreciation to get into budget.

Do yourself a favor & swap the head units, would fix many of the things on that list. Reversing camera is an cheap DIY retrofit too.

I don't bother with in car GPS. I have a ram mount bolted through the dashboard, so have use GPS functionality on my smartphone instead.

nice_lady, Apr 5, 6:41am
No particular time frame here. Just when required. Bought a 1995 integra in 2001 with 50,000 on the clock. 15 years later we'd Ran it up to 312,000 then sold was still running very well. Two things we both insist on, plenty safety features, and Air con is a MUST.

jeff1234, Apr 5, 8:57am
Usually run gear until not worth repairing. Just thinking about it at the moment, have a 2014 Mazda SP25, bought with 25k on clock 4 years ago, now done 140k. Be interested in opinions as to flick it on at 200k or keep until its rooted. Bought a run out 2016 Dmax new, just as they were changing the style/motor/gearbox as the 2001 courier needed 15k spending on it, and that plus trade in was not much short of new money so made sense to change. Second hand utes are very expensive for what they are, we paid new similar money to what people wanted for 3 year old 100k utes.
Interesting to see most are holding on to ICE cars to see if electric will take hold, or is Hydrogen will. Apparently in US, HGV's are going to hydrogen so the tech is on its way. Is Hybrid worth it? Bit of a fan of manuals so that limits us a bit!

bryshaw, Apr 5, 9:18am
That is true as all those bells and whistles have numerous electronic connections which often fail, whereas the older Japanese vehicles just keep going with regular servicing. Just check out road tests on various brands.

trade4us2, Apr 5, 10:32am
My Ford Telstar (i.e. Mazda 626) went well for 20 years. I got rid of it because I wanted airbags.The Jaguar has lasted 13 years so far and has not been in a workshop for 8 years.

dlin9, Apr 5, 12:10pm
Usually switch constantly but I've had my Blade for nearly three years & will probably run it into the ground. It's reasonably safe & comfortable with fairly low running costs.

Missus has an 08 Rav 4 that suits her fine. We might pick up a cheap hybrid next year if we end up moving further away from work which is looking likely

kazbanz, Apr 5, 12:33pm
I change cars about 4 times a day :-)
Being serious. I change cars when someone comes along and buys my daily driver. Ive stuck with the current driver for a few years not because it has 8 airbags etc etc just because its so usefull as a sometimes 7 seater and sometimes BIG station wagon

cjohnw, Apr 5, 6:43pm
Our last 4 vehicles have been purchased brand new. Usually kept for around 5 years (one disposed of within months) and always traded in against the next purchase usually around 50-60,000km. Current vehicle is 2019 reg.
As we are now older citizens we like the peace of mind of a new, low mileage vehicle always under warranty.
Have probably had 20+ years of hassle-free, stress free motoring with this philosophy, but acknowledge we are also lucky to be in the position to do be able to do this.
In that vein I can see from some comments above we are probably not in the most appropriate forum to comment any further so I will bow out graciously.
Happy and safe motoring to you all.

lythande1, Apr 5, 6:47pm
When it's dead. that is something major needs doing, engine, gearbox or just too many smaller things, CVs, bearings, and the like.
Cars are a waste of money.