Problem with window tints on older cars

Page 1 / 2
nzstocked, Jun 21, 3:17pm
A friend of my Father has just got her WOF of a 2003 Honda Jazz that has factory window tints, although they are very mild tints. Nothing wrong with car so has a new WOF from the VTNZ testing station, but they have added a caveat electronically to the car reg and said all the glass in the car needs to be changed before her next WOF and the car can not be sold as the tint is too much for the year of the car. She's had the car since almost new and not had a problem with a WOF or any comments to this affect before. I am investigating on the NTNZ site, but can't see anything there relating to changes to tint level for older cars and when this changed. Anyone got any clues? I personally think it's absolutely ridiculous that if she had no tint and wanted to get darker tints now she can, but not on her older car.

tweake, Jun 21, 4:08pm
why the glass?
is this factory tinted glass instead of stick on tint?

i would find another garage for 2nd opinion anyway.

tweake, Jun 21, 4:19pm
just having a quick look i think ntnz are smoking crack.
there is no age limit. all cars are only allowed a minimum of 35% light transmission through the side and back windows. (windscreen 70%).

all i can suggest is go to a different garage and get them to test it.

tamarillo, Jun 21, 4:21pm
Love to hear from people working in the coal face as to whether VTNZ can put a caveat on your rego like this?

nzstocked, Jun 21, 4:32pm
She's been back to the original dealer today so might have more news tomorrow. It's factory tinted glass, not a stick on job. At least there is no rush as she has a WOF now, but not sure where the insurance stands re the caveat. Nothing's ever simple.

alowishes, Jun 21, 4:37pm
Wind the windows down and take out the fuse ( if electric windows) or the cranking handles off if manual windows.
Follow me for more cunning ideas for getting through a WOF check!

onl_148, Jun 21, 4:41pm
If the tint on the windows today is not up to spec, then it should be an WOF fail. not this "in 6 months time it will be a fail". I assume tint level is a safety issue, so it is unsafe today ! What is the expectation that VTNZ have that will happen before the next WOF is due ? Sounds a bit sketchy to me. perhaps we have not been given the full story !

phoenix22, Jun 21, 5:03pm
If they are factory fitted tints, I am unsure VTNZ can do a damned thing. Sounds like they are overstepping

in terms of insurance, they will not care unless your tinted windows somehow contributed towards the crash, and were deemed to be non WOF standard because they were too dark or whatever. unlikely.

franc123, Jun 21, 5:07pm
Thats a load of bollocks, there are no age limits on tint, it either complies with the maximum tint level appropriate to the position of the glass on the vehicle for that vehicle class (35% on XMA) or it doesnt. There is equipment for measuring this, if its a factory AS3 tint on side and rear glass and its had no further overlay added, it complies.

sandypheet, Jun 21, 5:11pm
Would be interested to meet that inspector and findout how he determined this.

kiwilandchch, Jun 21, 5:35pm
Something doesnt sound right how can they give it a wof but more less say its not up to wof standard as they wont give her one next time with them windows in. Very strange .

gph1961, Jun 21, 5:42pm
me 3

trogedon, Jun 21, 5:48pm
Get the WOF somewhere else next time.

nzstocked, Jun 21, 10:45pm
Well, she went in to the original dealer and he said not to worry, it's only film. Come back here next year for a WOF and we'll sort everything out for you and remove the film. That's a weight off her mind, thankfully.

vtecintegra, Jun 22, 7:03am
If it's a film it wasn't 'factory' - probably dealer installed

gph1961, Jun 22, 8:11am
so there is a statement in there that is incorrect as it turns out

nzstocked, Jun 22, 8:39am
Yes, I think the 80+ year old woman involved thought that as the car was almost new when she bought it then the tint must have been in the glass, and then the message was relayed to my Dad, 86, and then to me. Sounds like the WOF inspector needs a communication skills course as he really had her panicking.

franc123, Jun 22, 9:09am
I'm more concerned that it hasn't been failed prior to now! The VLT of the glass was clearly considered to be marginal on the initial inspection. Unless the tint installer has tested and certified the >35% tint in the form of a sticker, WoF failure at some point is always possible. I suspected there was something missing in this story, instead of criticising the inspector be thankful you have been given a grace period to sort it out. No manufacturer pisses about with tint overlays, the glass gets made to the tint level they specify for the market the car is going to be sold into.

tygertung, Jun 22, 9:11am
Why would the dealer install non compliant tints to a brand new car?

franc123, Jun 22, 10:31am
Its been part of the offer and sale agreement. Some people just aren't satisfied with factory offerings and have to have something different, and sales staff desperate to make up numbers who either don't know or pretend to not know the rules are willing to oblige. Due to these tint installers being so busy he just can't get here this week, can you pleeese update the WoF now instead of waiting for him? (common scenario) Amazingly enough the inspector never gets the chance to see the car again.

kazbanz, Jun 22, 10:32am
I would strongly recommend contacting the VTNZ branch Manager concerned in a non confrontational manner and ask for total clarification. Have the registration number and WOF number on hand.
A question for you though. Are you certain the vehicle is a Jazz not a Fit?
Honda Fits have factory tints but often in Japan they put an overlay on the inside to darken it.
Im NOT saying anybody is right or wrong just that getting clarification will give certainty going forwards.

nzstocked, Jun 22, 5:06pm
Maybe 3rd hand info is not the best, but she was told that the tint strength was fine if it was on a new car ie it is within the stds allowed, but just not on her older car. She even pointed to another car nearby and said that car has darker tint than mine, to be told sorry, but that's a newer car so it's ok. Anyway, seems to have been sorted now thanks to the original dealer.

nice_lady, Jun 22, 5:11pm
I'd definitely query that. Either the cars tints are dangerous or they're not. The age of the car would have to be irrelevant.

franc123, Jun 22, 7:26pm
Age has got nothing to do with it. Its the OVERALL level of tinting (factory glass tint PLUS overlay if that applies) thats the important bit based on what type of vehicle it is and what position in the vehicle the glazing in question is fitted, there are different rules for passenger cars and light trucks/vans/4x4's. The individual who told you otherwise does not understand the regs.

kazbanz, Jun 22, 7:31pm
that testing officer needs some retraining