Bought Non-CVT Car Found IS CVT

coralsnake, Nov 17, 6:25pm
So I go looking for a Nissan Tiida Lation non-cvt. Dealer finds one in his stock in storage. Taken to look/have a drive. Liked it and said yes I would buy. Paid deposit, car put through compliance, WOF, registered [I paid ORC]. Sales Agreement was stated non-CVT. Paid balance in cash.
Took possession Thursday last week 12th November. Now have found today vehicle has CVT transmission. Anyone know what my rights may be about returning car for refund?

toyboy3, Nov 17, 6:30pm
Go and talk to the seller

mrfxit, Nov 17, 6:47pm
More to the point, how did you miss the totally different gearbox response style.
Unless you were driving it very slowly?
About 2 seconds after you put the boot up it a bit, it becomes glaringly obvious.

mrfxit, Nov 17, 6:47pm
But yes, Dealer needs to sort it out to mutual satisfaction

bigfatmat1, Nov 17, 6:53pm
Did the Tiida even come out in a regular auto? I'd be more concerned about the fact its a tiida. But however I would say you have your right to full refund if its not what you specified.

franc123, Nov 17, 6:57pm
There shouldnt be any problem exchanging it since you specified that you didnt want that. It's more amusing that people have this huge phobia about owning something that is pretty normal these days and in any case you did have issues you would be covered, yet neither you or the dealer could actually tell it was CVT.

nzmax, Nov 17, 7:11pm
Aunty and uncle have a 2004 or 2005 import 4 speed auto Tiida. They have had it since around 2008 from memory.

kazbanz, Nov 17, 10:18pm
. It says specifically NON CVT transmission on the VOSA. In theory it should be instant refund. If they argue then don,t drive it and make a written statement that you reject the vehicle and on what basis. It will be cut and dried at mvdt if it goes that far. Incidentally if it’s a 1200 cc Latio they don’t come in non cvt

gpg58, Nov 17, 10:27pm
Thought i would hate cvt, but actually quite like it now.
Is only spinning at 2000rpm at 100kph, but spins up to 5000+ immediately asked for. Fairly quick too, for a microcar with only a 1.4 non turbo, and cheap to feed, at an average of 5.9lt/100km for me doing city and rural. (2020 holden spark lt, just turned over 7000kms now).
Ps - if gas pedal stomped on, it has distinct ratio steps, to simulate gear changes, pointless for sure, but nice anyway.

I see the first generation nissans did have 4 speed auto as well as the others, i would assume a 4 speed would have 1, 2 and D positions for lever, and cvt just L and D?

But second generation(2011+) says CVT or manual only?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Tiida#First_generation_(2004-2012)

msigg, Nov 18, 7:16am
franc123 has hit the nail on the head, anyway the tiida will probably do 200k no problems, there are so many of these things on the road, people like them so all good, not my sort of car but hey they do drive good. Each to their own.

kazbanz, Nov 18, 10:13am
I get your point but feel that both you and Franc have missed the OP's point. For whatever reason they have specified that they want a non CVT vehicle.

kazbanz, Nov 18, 10:15am
Coralsnake -I would recommend looking at a Mazda Verisa. They are always standard auto and a similar size to a Tiida latio

franc123, Nov 18, 10:30am
No I didnt miss the point. Sure if someone doesnt want a CVT then it's their choice, it's the reasons why they dont want one that seem to lack credibility.

kazbanz, Nov 18, 10:42am
Nahh I get it. If someone doesn't trust a vehicle they don't trust it. For whatever reason.

drog, Nov 18, 11:02am
I second Kazbanz here. Mazda Verisa is a seriously decent vehicle. I speak from experience.

kazbanz, Nov 18, 3:13pm
"Strangely" enough so do I. Both stocking them but also the Verisa is Mrs Kaz's car of choice. Shes has hers 5 years now and loves it.

sanders4, Nov 19, 8:07pm
I have avoided cvt due to bad press but my current vehicle is a Subaru Legacy with 6 speed cvt. I have been driving autos since 1985 and thought I knew my stuff but the Legacy is so damn smooth you need to check the rev counter to see if there has been a gear change! 192000 ks on the clock and I will never put a cvt down again. Autos in the past include Ford, Mercedes, Holden, Nissan and Kia so been around the block.

cattleshed, Nov 19, 9:48pm
Or maybe Subaru CVT's anyway. You can't speak concerning all as all are not good quality.

tgray, Nov 19, 10:25pm
1200c?

curlcrown, Nov 20, 8:00am
Clearly the VOSA states it is not a CVT transmission and it is you would be able to return the car, but no one has asked the question, why do you now believe it is a CVT transmission but not when you bought it?
We used to sell a lot of ex lease New Zealand new 1800cc Tiidas and they had normal autos.

kazbanz, Oct 21, 8:51pm
yep 1200cc. The late model 2012 and newer Latio is 1200cc. The model that looks like a small Bluebird Sylphy 2012 or newer