Cars with cambelts

stevo2, Feb 1, 5:33pm
My daughter and family have just returned from overseas and have asked me to find a car or two for them. Their main car will probably be an SUV and in the price range they are looking at, most have done about 100,000km.
Although we are not averse to cambelts, replacement will need to be factored into the buying price. I know Toyota Vanguard, CX5, Dualis, CRV are chain. What about Outlander, ASX, and Subaru Exiga? Failing those, they may drop their standards and go for something like a Premacy or Odyssey etc.
Prefer to buy from a dealer
Any of these to be avoided?
Cheers Stevo

kazbanz, Feb 1, 6:22pm
Most of the cars you mentioned are Cam chain engines. Im having a brain fart with the 2.0 boxer engine in the exiga It MIGHT be belt.-edit--yup cambelt.--Exiga is a pretty good vehicle but reality the rear row of seats only suit small kids. As a 5 seat its pretty roomy. "kinda " a rebodied forester.
Premacy IS Lafesta 2012 and newer
STRONG suggestion for them is the Mitzi Delica D5.
They seat 8 ADULTS like an estima . are awd or fwd yet aren't huge on the outside.
The back seats fold up Middle sets forwards when you want to carry "stuff"
The technology isn't cutting edge but that translates to tried n true.

stevo2, Feb 1, 8:55pm
Thanks Kaz. Pretty sure the Delica wont be a goer. Too van like. They dont "NEED" 7 seats as they only have 2 kids (9 and 2 year old) but said perhaps they could come in handy. They are keen on an SUV type but I would like them to at least look at something a bit more car-like as we all know that SUVs dont appear as good value for money.

s_nz, Feb 1, 9:14pm
If the CX5, ASX etc are on the shopping list, I would assume they are sweet with a 5 seater.

Note that those vehicles span multiple size classes, with the Outlander & ASX being the most obvious example, being from the same brand. Ultimately a call will need to be made on how much passenger and cargo space is required, Which will narrow down the choices somewhat.

Personally I would think something like the something like the Dualis or ASX would be much to small to be the main car for a family.

Given the other cars on the list I would favor the subaru legacy over the Exiga. Note that subaru's in general are known as quite nice cars, but with relatively high running costs.

If budget is tight, something like a honda stream offers decent space (as a 5 seater for a cheap price (and reasonable running costs).

For ultimate in low running costs the Prius alpha (Prius V) has more space inside it than most on the list, but will use roughly half the fuel (rated at 4.4L/100km).

Post more details and people can give recommendations. Budget, estimated annual mileage for each car, rough age of kids, need for luggage space.

kazbanz, Feb 1, 9:25pm
to be honest mate if money is a major factor suv would be last on my list. Literally thousands more than an equal size /year/mile people mover or wagon. Or you go newer with the wagon.

stevo2, Feb 1, 9:26pm
Thanks s_nz. Good advice from you as always.
Their budget is between $10k and $20k and I suggest about $15k to be the sweet spot as it leaves a bit more in the kitty for hubbys vehicle when he gets a job. Mostly city driving with the odd trip away as it will be their main car.
Kids are 9 and 2. Average mileage prob 12 to 15k km.
They had a Dualis in Oz and he had an old Rodeo ute.
I think it would be a struggle to convince them that a people mover would be cool unless it looked particularly sharp. I have no problem with SUVs but they dont represent good value for money. At the end of the day its their money and their car and I dont want them to buy something they wont be happy with.
Cheers Stevo

djrandomguy, Feb 1, 11:33pm
Once again I would point out that if you don't go off road much or gravel travel then there is MORE ROOM in most station wagons, which weigh less, use less fuel, have a lower center of gravity [ corner better, less leany ] cost less to repair, don't have unnecessary a/4wd systems and are easier to park.

Look up the load space volume before solely looking at SUVs, #justsayin

2sheddies, Feb 1, 11:51pm
I think the OP realizes this, but I have garnered, from reading the posts, that being/looking cool is one of the most important criteria.

stevo2, Feb 2, 5:36am
Correct, or perhaps more to the point is "following the current trend"

tamarillo, Feb 2, 8:15am
Skoda Yeti?

kazbanz, Feb 2, 10:03am
Mate I really would suggest running that Mitzi D5 past them.
I could be wrong-as my wife frequently points out. But the response I have had has been that they look 4x4 enough in the "flesh" to be bloke cool,
Otherwise I guess a Dualis at least being the same as they had is one less thing to think about/ get used to. I assume they are in one of the isolation facilities and you are their eyes and ears.

stevo2, Feb 2, 10:55am
Will take a look Kaz. They are now out of hotel jail. To be honest they were not excited about a Premacy so I doubt the mitzi will impress them but we'll see. SUVs are poor value for money in my opinion.

kazbanz, Feb 2, 12:01pm
Yea sorry to harp on but a totally different looking beast.

vtecintegra, Feb 2, 12:10pm
The Mazda 6 is much nicer than the Legacy (or Outback because they stopped the Legacy wagon in 2014) but both hold their value too well to be good value second hand

skull, Feb 2, 12:11pm