Tips for removing oil.

Page 1 / 2
lisah23, Apr 25, 8:20pm
off concrete please. Some spills have been there for a while, thank you.

nice_lady, Apr 25, 8:23pm
Concrete is porous. The old oil will have long ago soaked in. Doubt it's possible to really remove it.

gpg58, Apr 25, 8:57pm
Used to be said, scrub with a solvent, and wipe up as much as you can, then add some more and let dry, to draw some more of stain down into concrete. Then finish off by scrubbing some lime in, to bleach the concrete back to white. Never tried myself though.

lakeview3, Apr 25, 9:02pm
get some dishwashing liquid like morning fresh, soak the oil with this and leave for a bit, then get a brush and work the dishwash liquid in, then get boiling water and rinse off. Repeat. You can also spray it with desolve it. Between the 2 processes it should remove most of the oil.

lakeview3, Apr 25, 9:03pm
Also don’t waterblast concrete. All this does is blow out the sand particles and make it more porous and more susceptible to marking.

lakeview3, Apr 25, 9:16pm
you could also try some solvent as the other poster said but I have had great success with what I do.

The washing liquid is a surfactant and breaks all the oil particles down smaller so they are easier to disperse. This is assisted by the hot water.

The desolv it is a citrus based natural solvent. So not nasty.

tgray, Apr 26, 10:29am
Spray engine degreaser ($5 a can at auto stores) directly on the oil and wait for 5 mins, then pour a jug of boiling water on it and then hose away.
I'm a car dealer and have done this many times.

nice_lady, Apr 26, 11:45am
This works on old oil spills ? (Before I go buy a can to try on Hubby's old oil spills).

saki, Apr 26, 12:38pm
CRC has a product for oil on concrete.

differentthings, Apr 26, 2:43pm
crc oil eater

lisah23, Apr 26, 6:54pm
thank you all.

marte, Apr 27, 5:51am
Does clothes washing powder soak it out & make it easier to wash out later?

Like, soak up as much oil as possible with paper towels etc, then pour on washing powder & let that pull as much oil out, remove that & then pour hot water onto the oil stain.

tgray, Apr 27, 8:40am
Might not get 100% of the stain off, but will remove most of it.

tgray, Apr 27, 8:44am
If anyone is interested in getting almost any stain off your hands, wet them first and then rub together with a bit of Persil automatic clothes washing powder.

alowishes, Apr 27, 9:08am
+1!

intrade, Apr 27, 9:58am
best to use as soon as possible if it is a problem. dishwash liquid will turn the engine oil to carbon you wash and scrub it off with hot water.

intrade, Apr 27, 10:00am
thats rather agressive i get irriations from doing that.
Dishwash liquid the cheap stuff that you dont wash dishes with. you need to use it undiluted . " do not wet hands or it wont work at all. you rub and wash your hand with dishwash and rinse off it be clean. i use almost exclusive that methode in my shop. and use the other stuff if i wet the hands first accidentally
Attention only for oil and grease and do so at own risk if there is one disclaimer . Basically anything somone said on here only do taking your own risk disclaimer. As we more and more get like usa lawer and sueing b$
I told this one of my older mates he now uses it to wash dishes also. he also drives toyota like all cheapskates. he also drilled a hole in the floor because his fridge makes to much moisture to drain water under house and bitches that power w cost so much. I already told him to buy a new fridge . i am not a babysitter for stupid people i say things once and then its no longer my problem,

kazbanz, Apr 27, 2:35pm
I've had success making up a thin /watery paste of washing powder and scrubbing it in. Then coming back a day or so later and washing it off.

evotime, Apr 27, 9:05pm
There’s a product called terminator hsd I used it but sold the property before I saw the full results.

There’s videos on YouTube of it apparently eats the oil rather than washing it out

apollo11, Apr 27, 9:45pm
We used to use caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), it is an aggressive alkaline and will etch the oil out, and will burn off your eyebrows too if you splash yourself. It's available from most cleaning suppliers and is commonly used for unblocking drains.

mrcat1, Apr 28, 4:50pm
Mobilsol 77, that stuff is meaner than cat p!ss, will take oil off anything, just they stopped making it I think.

glang, Apr 28, 8:19pm
As has been mentioned - a spray can of degreaser. I get it from Supercheap, retails just over $5 but they occasionly special it at around $3. Great for concrete stains, even old ones, give it a good dosing and wash off with the hose, I've used it on some real nasties and it works brilliant although 2 applications sometimes req'd. I've tried other degreasers but have found the Supercheap one works best. No I don't work for them.

gamefisher, Apr 28, 8:42pm
Does work but simple green and blue gold are kinder on the hands. Cheers.

marte, Apr 28, 8:55pm
Seems its 90% kerosine & probably some detergent. Used to suspend stuff in hydraulic fluid & such.
https://hazard.com/msds/f2/bmx/bmxqd.html
TeePol or Teepol is the industrial detergent, we used to use it for washing dishes. Sorta like Sunlight detergent but without the lemon smell.

I use Palmolive milk & honey hand soap as hand cleaner, its got a lemomy Coconut smell, soft on the skin & does a great job. Its cheap in 1L refills & i put it into a Colgate Plax mouthwash bottle ( odd shape but easy to hold when wet ) with a 'PopTop' off a water bottle so its easy to open.

Clothes washing powders is OK for 3 uses in a row, then your hands go dry & crack. We used Castrol Klix in the workshop.

snork28, Aug 16, 4:16am