9kg bbq gas bottle test

blogzy, Nov 9, 8:18am
Anyone know the cost of a 9kg gas bottle retest ?

shakespeare6, Nov 9, 8:20am
Go and get a swapa - Job done

jacinda2059, Nov 9, 8:44am
As above, i think the costs are about the same?

saxman99, Nov 9, 9:17am
Last time I checked a few years ago the cost of a test was about $40, a new bottle was about $50 so not worth the hassle.

3tomany, Nov 9, 10:36am
Just get a swap a bottle as they take expired cylinders.

intrade, Nov 9, 11:09am
There is a risk that you get a swap bottle that's about to expire also soon. By getting yours tested like if its a good galvanised one= 10 year test guaranteed and good quality. As the swapones all are about to rust and or non are galvanised. Also new bottles seem to have a savety switch tilt over. So you can not hang the bottle upside down and fill another bottle . Not that anyone would do this ;) but just to list all the problems. I found this out with the annoying ding-e -ling inside the bottles

msigg, Nov 9, 11:27am
Get swap a bottle at garage, nobody does the testing if they want to save money.

nzmax, Nov 9, 11:39am
Up until a few months ago I worked at a store that had a swap a bottle cage, and most bottles supplied were either newly or recently tested, or still had a good number of years on them. It is still legal to use an expired bottle, it just cant be filled without it being tested, and as long as it meets the criteria is perfectly able to be swapped after it has expired. In many cases, they are the older heavier galvanised style bottles, unlike the new bottles sold by various retailers. When the swap bottles are tested, they are fitted with valves that meet the current regulations, if they dont already have them.

kazbanz, Nov 9, 5:06pm
honestly the other posts have it right. it just isn't worth the hassle to retest an expired cylinder. Local garage swappa bottle deal is cheaper

muzz67, Nov 9, 5:10pm
grab a swappa bottle, then refill it when needed, much cheaper.

framtech, Nov 9, 5:29pm
only worth it if you live in the town that does the testing (hamilton I think)

franc123, Nov 9, 10:11pm
I wouldnt bother with testing theres no guarantee it will pass, send it for scrap and just go and buy a new one from the red shed, give it a good wet scuff up with coarse scotch brite and chuck a decent coat of paint on and not worry about it for years. That swap cylinder scheme is convenient but with convenience comes cost, it's actually not economic, even more so if you are a heavy gas user. You are well and truly paying for the cost of the cylinder maintenance participating in that scheme, I would only do it if by chance I didnt have easy access to a LPG filling station.

s_nz, Nov 9, 11:37pm
Swapping is expensive compared to a fill, but great value when you swap out a bottle that is no longer certified, for a fresh one.

With regards to having your own bottle's filled, the places that offer this are declining in my area. Also it seems that many have changed from charging per KG to charging a relatively higher price per fill (about $10 less than swapping normally). Means you need need to own two bottle and run one compelty out before filling to get value.

tygertung, Nov 10, 6:04am
It used to only cost about $13 to fill when I was working at the petrol station around 2003. Once somebody bought in one of those giant 45 kg bottles to fill. Took a bit of gas.

blogzy, Nov 10, 7:28am
Bbq bottle filling has got to be up there with some of the best mark up rip offs around. Years ago I worked in auto gas industry and had my own adaptor to fill my 9kg via the acme thread dispenser filler. Was way cheaper by massive margin.

onl_148, Nov 12, 11:45am
Swapping a bottle is way more convenient than standing on a cold and wet forecourt while some spotty herbert comes out from behind the warm counter and fiddles around filling your bottle.

bumfacingdown, Oct 26, 12:57am
"on a cold and wet forecourt "
I tend to wait in the nice warm dry shop