Oil and grease

bubbles22222, Mar 5, 8:23am
Just curious what other people pay for an oil and grease on there 2wd vehicles.

strobo, Mar 5, 8:40am
What 2 wheel drive vehicles use grease nowadays apart from the cv joints? Forget the grease! As for oil depends on the type required to use and grade ie viscosity rating and whether it is mineral/semi synthetic or full synthetic needed .The cost is variable can be anywhere between $20 and $160 for a 4/5 litre pack and then need to pay for an oil filter and maybe labour for fitting as well. Helps to know what vehicle you are asking about .is it rear or front wheel drive? and oil for what ? diff / g/box or engine?more details please.

desmodave, Mar 5, 8:51am
Some people will want the color of the car . Make model and engine size should be enough though . Do my own so its only time . .

tony9, Mar 5, 9:18am
Rather than oil and grease you should be looking for a scheduled service. That will vary from oil and filter change, check belts, coolant, tyres plus, all the way through to coolant, brake fluid and transmission changes, wheel alignment, cam belt change plus plus.

So from around $200 to $2,000+ if done properly to schedule. At least you likely will not need to factor in a scheduled traction battery replacement.

tygertung, Mar 5, 9:39am
I like the grease which comes in pretty colours. I have a nice red and blue grease here, and a lovely coffee colour. I also have a horrible grey grease which I don't like much.

I also have a yellowy white grease which isn't so nice looking.

I've also seen a lovely pure white grease. I think you can also get green?

tony9, Mar 5, 9:45am
We used to have a wee pit outside that collected grease. Not sure where it would be of use in car servicing but the rats loved it.

toyboy3, Mar 5, 10:03am
The grease is for the fish and chips

intrade, Mar 5, 10:05am
you do know the asking about colour is suposed to be a sarcastic question. however if it was a white one it has a high chance of what used to be sold to be a base model. That is about the only value colour could have.

franc123, Mar 5, 10:19am
I'm sniffing a big bill that the OP is querying.

bubbles22222, Mar 5, 10:29am
correct approx $300 listed in invoice are things that are normally done in a WOF, has been called a Lube service when simply asked to do a grease and oil.

tony9, Mar 5, 10:34am
The standard maintenance schedule for your vehicle should cover pretty much everything in a wof.

kazbanz, Mar 5, 10:58am
Just to explain something. The year /make /model of your vehicle WILL affect what you pay for a "simple oil and grease" .
A 1995 Nissan bluebird 1800 will for example be a totally different price from a 2020 Mercedes 6.0l
That said $300 to give a modern mid sized jap car a basic service sounds about right to me

shakespeare6, Mar 5, 11:37am
where does the grease go? Last 2 wheel drive vehicle that i had needing some grease was a 1966 Vauxhall Cresta

tygertung, Mar 5, 12:05pm
What colour grease is everyone's favourite? I think I like the red the best.

gph1961, Mar 5, 12:08pm
red

gph1961, Mar 5, 12:10pm
anywhere you want it to

tony9, Mar 5, 1:03pm
Clear, water soluble is most fun.

john1623, Mar 5, 3:00pm
Last WOF and service Toyota Harrier $314

marte, Mar 5, 3:11pm
I pay $9 for 100gms of Red Rubber grease
https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/herschell-herschell-red-rubber-grease-tube-100g/402031.html The stuffs amazing it gets used on all my plastic plugs & sockets & where plastic parts rub against each other. No stuck plugs to uncrack & what's supposed to move, moves. And $70 for 5L synthetic 5-30w engine oil.
But since then Supercheap has stopped selling Chief oil & I'm getting either Moly oil or Nylon @ $100, or $70 on special.
https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/nulon-nulon-full-synthetic-european-engine-oil-5w-30-5-litre/343511.html#q=+European+
oil&lang=en_NZ&vid=km4GDuPttI3RJMfuFSe5OQ%3D%3D&
start=2

3tomany, Mar 5, 3:18pm
Well we first need to know the colour of your hair and some info on ya bits and pieces as to make a more accurate comparison to my bill and yours. But around 300 for someone with a deep voice.

3tomany, Mar 5, 3:20pm
Most garages will not simply change fluids any more as they are obligated when servicing a car to ensure it leaves the workshop well checked and safe to drive.

bill1451, Mar 5, 7:16pm
We have to get away from the "grease thing" last time I used grease was on the nose sprocket on my chainsaw, It would be a challenge to find a grease nipple on any modern front wheel drive car. Oh, I also used it on my weed eater and hedge trimmer gearboxes and my 25 year old ride on mower.

mrcat1, Sep 6, 2:17am
Best you can buy is bright orange, like a dayglow jacket.