2013 Toyota Aqua Hybrid

bushells, Oct 22, 8:11pm
Just wondering how long will the main battery last before is needs replacing and what is the replacement cost.

mrploppy, Oct 22, 8:42pm
I have recently bought an import Toyota Corolla Axio hybrid. The advice I was given and confirmed by Toyota is that the battery is guaranteed for 8 years, but should last longer. If you do a search on TM there are some replacement units available, seems to be about $3000.

sw20, Oct 23, 8:52am
They last so long you won’t have to worry about it.

It’s not a POS like a Leaf.

kazbanz, Oct 23, 9:44am
The aqua is mechanically the same as a Prius. The significance of that is that there is plenty of historical evidence of longevity because so many Prius were /are used as Taxi's.
It seems that taxi use they are comfortably getting to 500k on a battery pack before individual cells start to drop.
What is interesting is that because of the nature of the modern Prius battery pack (kinda like a series of AA batteries side by side) if one or two cells (batteries) drop out you are able to replace them with used cells from a crashed car.It is still a $400-$600 job but it has added 100000k to the life of some taxi battery packs.
To replace the whole thing you are looking at $3500 of which $500 is labour.

lk104, Oct 23, 12:16pm
Price is $3700 + labour to install.

toenail, Oct 24, 9:20am
battery chemistry is more to do with charge and discharge cycles than age.

dutchess46, Oct 24, 7:58pm
We have a 2003 series1 prius. Less than 100,000 and the batteries are sailing along fine.

jacinda2059, Oct 24, 8:16pm
Recently replaced battery in our 2007 prius, $2.600 .

buyit59, Oct 25, 8:40pm
To Jacinda2059 #8. At what km was battery replaced ? I have a 1,5 Corolla that according to RightCar info uses just under $500 more in petrol for 1Year/14,000km so wonder if you have really saved anything . your battery replacement equals about 5 years driving .

s_nz, Oct 25, 9:27pm
It's relitively rare need to replace the main battery pack in a non taxi toyota / lexus hybrid (excl 1st gen (1997-2003) Prius, which was quite a dog of a car) .

In general the battery packs last the life of the vehicle.

My Lexus hybrid is 14 years old, and crossed 200,000km last week. To my knowledge it is on its orginal pack, and still preforming fine.

Thanks to Toyota hybrids being the pick of choice by taxi operators due to their low running costs an aftermarket does exist to look after these. In Auckland at least there are places were you can have hybrids to taken to have a pre-purchase battery inspection, or to have cells replaced if an individual cell fails, or to have a aftermarket battery pack (or a used pack from a crashed car) installed if the pack entirely fails.

Should note that that taxi duty is far beyond what private drivers are likely to expose their car to.

toenail, Oct 26, 7:55pm
same argument can be made for petrol only cars, common issues include:

starter motor replacement - hybrid has none
alternator replacement - hybrid has none
automatic gearbox issues - hybrid uses planetary gears and is more reliable
pre-mature rotor replacements - hybrid has regen and you'll hardly see rotors needed to be replaced.

hybrids has less engine wear in stop-start driving as EV takes over half of the time. do a oil analysis on an hybrid engine vs petrol version over the same type of driving and you'll see what comes out better.

so how much are you really saving?

clark20, Nov 1, 11:13am
Your will to live?