Hyundai i30 bulb issue

proracer, Jun 13, 8:16pm
Anyone else on here have the bulb blowing Hyundai i30. It a common issue going by the forams on the internet.
Mine is 2009 model.
Headlight bulbs only blow all the time, can't find fault, Tried new battery, Power surger, more earthing.
Yes fitted by professional shop a can't be bothered unbolting car to be able to fit new bulbs

heads1st, Jun 13, 9:12pm
We have a 2010 I30 that's used for rural delivery mail. It's got exactly the same problem ~ we did the same fault test's but found nothing. Yet other vehicles used on the same roads don't have that same issue.

proracer, Jun 13, 9:45pm
did you find fix.

proracer, Jun 13, 9:47pm
Hyundai tell me these no problem, yet Forum,s say different.

scuba, Jun 13, 9:56pm
Re: Headlight blows
« Sent to: druggist : April 10, 2015, 19:51:48 »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. » ReplyQuoteDelete
Hey Sorry I have taken so long to reply. My son's i30 diesel is still going great and has not blown any headlights again. All I did to his was I added an extra earth cable from the battery to the Engine direct and a wired anti spiking diodes to the low beams both sides. It seems to have done the trick.
Report To Admin
i30 Diesel 2007

scuba, Jun 13, 9:56pm
Phillips long life light globes worked for me. There is a post on here somewhere but I went from blowing them regulary to i think it was 60,000k without a globe going. They were still going strong when I sold her.

copied off an Ozzie site. scuba

scuba, Jun 13, 9:58pm

saxman99, Jun 13, 11:32pm
Does it use an H7 bulb, or any other type with more than one spade connection?

If so then it might be the same issue I had on a Pug, which was that the connector felt like it was sliding and clicking into place firmly and making a decent connection but as it turned out only on one of the two spade connectors. The other was all black and chewed out and only made a dodgy connection causing a sort of spiky flicker which stuffed bulbs in very short order. The fix was to Remove the plastic connector and use two new tight and separate spade connectors. No further issues.

tweake, Jun 14, 9:58am
normally bulbs fail because they are cheap crap or from vibration.
typically power supply does nothing to resistive loads like bulbs, in fact filament bulbs help dampen any spike.

the other factor i forgot about, which saxman99 alludes to, is heat.
if the lens is to insulating those bulbs can overheat. also if they have bad connections on the back, those connections heat up adding to the heat load.
i suggest looking at the air flow around the headlight unit and also air flow off the radiator.
easy way is to put a temp sensor there.

i think the extra earth leads, anti spiking diodes etc is a red hearing.(anti spiking diodes work with inductive loads not resistive loads)

heads1st, Jun 14, 11:13am
proracer wrote:
did you find fix.

No we didn't ~ also forgot to mention that we have the same problem with
the fog/spot light bulbs. I'm not sure if we've tried the Phillips long life globes that scuba posted.

msigg, Jun 14, 3:49pm
LED is the way to go. they will take a varied voltage. If it was me I would retro fit different bulbs.

saki, Jun 15, 11:20am
x1
Ask a rally driver what they use.

proracer, Jun 15, 10:31pm
LED not legal I told

msigg, Jun 16, 9:00am
Most lights will be led soon. So long as it is the same colour range and lux, who would be able to tell.

bigfatmat1, Jun 16, 12:26pm
if they have been retrofitted. The wof guy when checked on a beam setter

msigg, Jun 17, 7:13am
No beam detector at the local garage, line on the wall, All good to go the reflector should do most of the beam angle. Do it on your fence at home. Easy as.

mantagsi, Jul 5, 8:25pm
Might just be a Hyundai thing. I drive an iload van for work and amongst other things, it absolutely eats headlamp bulbs, rear door gas struts and the transmission output shaft seal on a very regular basis

northernfist, Jul 13, 5:13pm
How much voltage is the harness to the bulb getting?

Halogen bulbs' output and lifespan are usually rated at 13.2V. If your harness is getting more than that, that may explain why the bulbs blow a lot and why Hyundai halogen headlamps are usually brighter than usual.