1339cc 2005 Fit CVT

Page 1 / 2
cattleshed, Nov 12, 6:43pm
Given the need to maintain and regular fluid change but apart from that are they a good to excel trans or what? Anything else to watch out for and will the 1.3L be somewhat underpowered? The engine is chain not belt BTW. TIA

intrade, Nov 12, 6:49pm
honda was world first to require honda only oils or it would end in damage or malfunction from 1990s on already . one big reason i never owned a honda since my rotten 1982 civic
for cvt you look here http://cvt.co.nz/

cattleshed, Nov 12, 7:30pm
Useful site to an extent. Does not answer my particular questions though. As an aside, oddly, cvt.co refers to OIL rather than fluid! Surprising!

peanuts37, Nov 12, 7:35pm
A friends daughter has had one for a few years 2003 model, Honda serviced since new and never had problem with it. Only got to look how many early models are still on road.

intrade, Nov 12, 7:39pm
#3 if you watch dr john kelly who makes the worlds best videos on how and why and what stuff works. He has a series on automatic oils. yes oils He writes the nvh software for pico-automotive scopes. i posted all the links once before but because trademe dont retain threads they drop off the cliff after about 1 year.
you can always ring them and ask questions. I found them good because the stuff they make public is 100% accurate to my knowledge. and i am quite good in knowing whats good. Same as i said about electric car problems We now have proof that i was spot on with my opinion.
watch em all if you want the real 100% no detail left out truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t73jM6mT8sU
he also has cvt videos in ultra mega extreme details

tamarillo, Nov 12, 8:33pm
I understood the early fit cvt was the most problematic. Failures.

cattleshed, Nov 12, 8:42pm
As you say very interesting vid! Thanks!

strobo, Nov 12, 8:49pm
There are significant differences between motor oil and transmission fluid ,but i'm sure you will find that out one day ;-)

cattleshed, Nov 12, 8:54pm
Good to hear. Honda fluid from new. Interesting.

cattleshed, Nov 12, 8:58pm
I am more than sure intrade knows that just as there are significant differences between various different spec oils and fluids. Even so at the end of the day and without any inconsistency they are all oils.

cattleshed, Nov 12, 9:03pm
It would appear it was a gen 1 issue. However I wonder as per the post above where the Fit had no issues AND had Honda CVT fluid only that a lot of the failure just might be related to wrong fluid and or lack of servicing and or being thrashed!

sanders4, Nov 12, 9:12pm
I purchased a 2010 Legacy 2.5 with cvt, good and bad reports online, now at 195oooks and it is the most amazing trans I have ever used - you need to look at the rev counter to know a change has happened, totally amazing as I have done over 500000ks in autos since the 80 s. Also computer advises 7.2 liters per 100ks on open road so some cvts are good it seems.

strobo, Nov 12, 9:50pm
Sure sure "they are all oils" my rrrs!water is a fluid yet is not an oil ! yep intrade knows loves water in the brake system lol .It is too loosely said today as oil v fluid as interchangeable or the same! which is not true! and id hesitate to tell an apprentice to fit ATF to an engine and fit engine oil to a Honda trans if you get my drift.

cattleshed, Nov 12, 11:47pm
strobo, as I said in #10 above that there are SIGNIFICANT differences between oils so much so that though they are all fluids and although they are oils the industry standard is to call auto trans oils FLUID and the fluid that goes in engines, OIL. For the same reason different coloured dyes are used to GENERALLY differentiate all ATF's. However, an auto trans can be destroyed by using the wrong ATF and also by adding engine oil. It is obvious that water is a fluid and not an oil. ATF uses a base oil to which varying additives are added. I personally speak of a fluid change regarding ATF and of course caution and so on, yet for all of that the fact remains it IS an oil and that is part of the education that's needed.

franc123, Nov 13, 12:43am
Don't buy pre 2008 Fits, after this date the CVT was improved and the starter clutch issue solved which is the main issue. The other reason you should avoid the early ones is the ignition system. there is eight spark plugs and coils! Big deal you might think until it develops a misfire, they are a pain to diagnose due to how it operates and if previous owners have skipped plug replacement you could be up for replacing the lot and a big bill to get it running properly.

cattleshed, Nov 13, 6:01am
Ok this is the sort of help that is excellent! Cheers!

kazbanz, Nov 13, 1:01pm
Im not a fan of them for all the reasons Franc outlines. BUT I feel it does come down to how much you are paying for the vehicle and its condition at time of purchase.
Other than the issues franc has named they are a pretty good car with a tonne of room inside for storage.
Why I've changed my attitude a bit is that our local transmission shop has given me very positive feedback on a "shudderfix" product that they have put in the early Fit transmissions. They say they have had very positive long term results from using it in cars with the classic starter clutch shudder issue. That avoids the $2500 rebuild that has traditionally been the fix.

cattleshed, Nov 13, 2:10pm
Thanks very much for your help! Cheers

gazzat22, Nov 13, 2:20pm
And a good friend who part owned a large Honda dismantling yard and bought a lot of cars from Japan told me to do servicing on time and only use genuine Honda fluids from Honda, not from Repco/SCA.

kazbanz, Nov 13, 2:41pm
yea this ^^^^ . I'm told there is extra stuff in the Honda genuine fluid.

bryshaw, Nov 13, 6:35pm
Agree fully and comprehensively serviced annually by a Honda dealer which at $320 is not going to break the bank. Also inboard computer is upgraded at service time which shows they have all the correct tools on hand.

intrade, Nov 13, 6:42pm
no one said any thing like this. motor oils are also vastly different if they dont meet manufacturer specs then you do cause damage just look at all the damaged volkswagen in this country. not used G12 coolant . every vw has it written on the coolant bowl with a picture of a manual next to it= you cant say it was a language problem. but it gets ignored . if you watch john kelly he explains where ATF has come from .

cattleshed, Nov 13, 7:04pm
Thanks intrade! Started watching this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oWFTOY-3tY&ab_channel=WeberAuto

He provides comprehensive info for sure!

strobo, Nov 13, 7:21pm
Good you finally found out on google listening to john kelly !

tine0212, Oct 23, 12:56pm
bought a 05 fit cheap to onsell, cvt had a bad shudder on flooring it from standstill. fixed it for 50 bux, xado revitalizant product from partsmaster. 16ml of goo you put into trans fluid with a pipe and syringe.