Re Vin Light Vehicle Invercargill

car__parts, Feb 15, 11:06pm
I have a vauxhall chevette 1978,, reg licence has lapsed, where in Invercargill is best certifier.

desmodave, Feb 16, 8:34am
Quick call to your local vtnz may speed things up as they will have dealt with your issue . I found the closest vtnz to me 200kms away a lot more helpful than spending 40 minutes on the phone to NZTA . I am sure the nzta website is their just to confuse people so they have to call only to be put on hold , then get pissed off hang up and get on with their day . If they can not cope with demand , employ more people to provide a service .

kazbanz, Feb 16, 12:11pm
AA 47 Gala Street, Invercargill
Take it there

a.woodrow, Feb 17, 7:21pm
x1
Don't use VTNZ Invercargill they go out of their way to be unhelpfull

hotrodpete, Feb 23, 6:45pm
there is no where in invercargill except vtnz to re-rego a car, and like a.woodrow said, i would stay well clear of them,. as for modification certifiers in invercargill there are none anymore (retired), structural certs are done at gorden officers on bay road but he has only just taken this on and is very strict ie wants to veiw everything blasted before he will even consider it,. so if ya in invers ya are ferked, best to think about taking to another town, there is a certifier from gore who travels but is very busy and hard to get hold of,. do you need to just re-rego or is it modifided needing cert, or rust repairs need cert? , your post not very sepecific.

hotrodpete, Feb 23, 6:47pm
not no more they don't.

car__parts, Feb 24, 1:51pm
The chevette has been unregistered for quite some time, put off the road for rust issues I presume. I purchased it, and have been cutting out rust, and patching with mig. It currently has almost all the repairs done and is without door panels, seats, window glass , rubber seals, carpet etc, I thought this would be the time for a certifier to look at it.

The guy from gore would do me, I can trailer it down, but how to contact him?

hotrodpete, Feb 24, 1:56pm
so you need a structual cert. not a modification cert.
Because you have already done repairs then the repair cert fella in invercargill can/will refuse to do it as he has to view before you even begin doing anything,. I would recommend Ward and Sinclair in Gore as they have been doing structual certs for years and are not so anal. 03 2086006 ask for Brent.

kazbanz, Feb 24, 3:20pm
Ohh boy. I'm sorry but you have opened a big ol "can o worms"
Although the recompliance rules are easier for 20 year old and older cars you still need to meet certain repair standards. Before taking the vehicle ANYWHERE I would find out what repairs can be carried out and just how far from factory specifications you are allowed to go.
I have little experience with cars of this age but for the more modern stuff repairs are required to meet factory specifications. Ie you cant just weld in a patch. You have to go back to the closest weld join and remove the entire panel then use "factory" welds to refit the panel.
Honestly Im not trying to be a PITA. But these people expect to be paid regardless of pass/fail so better to find out first . ESPECIALLY because once its seen it can't be "unseen"

hotrodpete, Feb 24, 3:42pm
guezz Kazbanz i think ya looking abit too much into it, your right on the modern shet that is "glued" together these days, but as for repairs on older cars you only need to cut back to good metal and butt weld in new steel, over lapped patches is not acceptable unless its a factory seam which are normally only spot welded together every inch,. usually the structual certifiers are ment to view the car at least 3 times, once before you begin (some ask for it to be blasted), then they need to view all the repairs in the nude (bare steel) with all welds showing, then lastly when its finished to sign it off, fees are around $400-$500 for a structural cert

kazbanz, Sep 10, 1:56am
Fair Call Pete--BUT the guts of my advice still stands. "measure twice cut once' or in this case. Find out exactly what you can and CAN'T do first. Especially with this recent shake up