I brought a deregistered vehicle

Page 1 / 2
kngfhrt, Jan 20, 7:07pm
i have brought a van in hamilton everything is good with van, body tyres, brakes, very tidy nothing wrong with it except unfortunately it is deregistered (the big question is can i drive this vehicle on the road just to get it home legally!

intrade, Jan 20, 7:14pm
nop not legally.You can fit plates from a same van also not legal but you could get away to get it home like this. Legaly only trailer for sure.

mugenb20b, Jan 20, 7:17pm
Errr.no.

kngfhrt, Jan 20, 7:44pm
thanks for info intrade i am taking my plates with me. my van is same model year etc hence the reason i brought it. my plates are registered and warrented and the van ive purchased is in far better nick than my own. il have a support car in tow just to be safe. i guess il just have to bite the bullet if i get pulld over and given a ticket.cheers!

guider1, Jan 20, 8:04pm
It could be a BIG ticket if you strike the wrong porky. lol.

gorgie14b, Jan 20, 8:17pm
Be safer to hire/borrow a vehicle trailer and transport it. If caugth, the ticket could be a really big one and would outweigh any costs associatedwith trailer hire.

berg, Jan 20, 8:18pm
Try a criminal charge of "using a document for pecunary advantage". Yes plates are considered a "document". Why not just do it legally!

sheepey, Jan 20, 8:20pm
If they get picky you have committed fraud by fitting different plates. Vehicle registration papers are a legal document, it becomes using a document to defraud!

friendly_prawn, Jan 20, 8:24pm
Just jump in and drive it . The chances of being pulled up are quite remote. Just dont go parking anywhere silly on the way home.If you are that worried, go hire a car trailer.Simple really.

poppajn, Jan 20, 8:33pm
Dealer plates can only be used by the person/ company they are registared too.
The only answer to your OP is no.

edangus, Jan 20, 8:38pm
Isn't changing the plates considered 'conversion' anymore

bitsy_boffin, Jan 20, 9:20pm
Same model, year, colour etc!

In that case, how is Mr Popo gonna know it's not the plates that belong to it without physically finding and looking at the VIN plate, and why would they look at the VIN.

That said, if it has the old plates, and you're not driving half the length of NZ, I'd just drive it as-is myself, chances of getting spotted are remote as anything, the popo are too busy looking for reg-on-hold motorbikes to bother with tidy looking vans and in the unlikely event you were found out, the repercussions would be less.

mugenb20b, Jan 20, 9:22pm
You just answered your own question. Cops are actually trained to look for these things.

petermcg, Jan 20, 9:27pm
Youl be right mate, get that van home and change over the plates,speedo and vin and your away laughing

aragorn2003, Jan 20, 9:33pm
don't speed or do anything retarded and you'd be fine

lordv81, Jan 20, 9:37pm
Trained!same make,same colour,rego and wof,what would alert the cops to look at a vin tag!thats if they even knew where to look.The average cop is not very smart when it comes to cars,they only know the basics to give a ticket.OP should just do the conversion and do the govt out of all the excessive taxes and fees.The amount of rebirths in this country being done through TM would surprise plod if they ever bothered to look,which they dont.

joaopnz, Jan 20, 9:41pm
I agree with you. Its only registration that ins't paid. Sounds like to Van is safe to drive. So drive safe and I guess there is no reason to be stopped.

lordv81, Jan 20, 9:44pm
Its Kumeu this weekend as well as Hampton downs so the cops wont hardly notice a sedate white jappa van!

next-to-normal, Jan 20, 10:07pm
dont worry about breaking the law,criminals have right of way in new zealand,and anyone who complainsis mad .run forest run

kazbanz, Jan 20, 10:56pm
LEGALLY--the answer plain n simple is NO.
But as others have saidbe carefull don't drive like an idiot and bring it back.
I would NOT bolt another set of plates on it myself. If pulled over the police will still give you a ticket for no rego/wof but will add extra stuff to the charges. Whereas driving with old plates the worst you'll get is no rego/no wof fine.
A thought maybee -howabout putting it in for a WOF check. itll come up fail-derego'd but at least then you can show the cops that its safe to be on the road.

macgor, Jan 21, 3:48am
As kazbanz says but also if it's got the wrong plates on the police will remove and take the plates if they cotton on. Better to just take the risk of a simple no reg & no wof ticket.

trdbzr, Jan 21, 5:55am
You could get away with it if you fit your van's plates and rego slip on the front and the vans are the same color. It is illegal but there is more chance of getting pulled over if you drive with the old plates on eg mr popo driving behind you and decides to run a check and sees the van is dereg, whereas if it has your plates on it then it comes back fine and mr popo carries on like nothing has happened. Alternatively IF you do get caught, you will be in a lot of shit.

matthew111, Jan 21, 6:33am
no you have BOUGHT

jmma, Jan 21, 7:03am
Capital O here that adds something to the thread now comma here who cares full stop here and stop shouting full stop here followed by a smiley face

tigra, Jan 21, 9:12am
If its deregistered it probably doesnt have a WoF. But the choice is yoursif you can make it "look legal" and drivewithout attracting attention you will probably be fine.