Need some advise on the brakes please

bandicoot66, Feb 11, 6:54pm
Good evening, Just got a question about the rear brakes making a squeal noise when braking. I have a 2016 brand new ute and it has 66000 mileage. I've changed both left & right front brakes and rotors at 55000 but I haven't changed the rear brakes yet because it still has a good amount of brake pads left. However, when coming to a stop or moving forward slowly, the rear brake is making a squeal noise. I've been to the Mechanics to ask about this issue and they couldn't find the answer and they said there is nothing to worry about. But for me I'm just a bit worried about the noise. Do you know what might be the issue here? Could it be the worn rotor?Thanks,

gpg58, Feb 11, 7:01pm
What brand of ute, is it disc brakes on the rear, or drum.(crickey, new pads AND discs at just 55k?, my 2013 navara is still on original pads, in good condition still, at 68k-yet seem to recall though, they were known to go thru them quickly). You do not rest your foot on pedal do you.
Had a loud squeal from my 2020 astra rsv the other day, only has 2500km's on it.
Jumping on brakes made no difference, but it did increase with speed.
But it vanished after i went over some road bumps at low speed.
Suspect a small stone had got stuck between backing plate and disc. (no marks on disc though).

franc123, Feb 11, 7:03pm
Rotor wear should be obvious (ridges on the outside edge) but pad wear may not be so. If it's been confirmed as coming from the back then get the pads out,examine them and make sure the wear indicator isnt rubbing on the rotor. There could be a foreign object (usually a small stone) caught in the mechanism somewhere. A park brake shoe that's been adjusted up a bit too tight can cause a similar noise, ditto some brands of semi metallic pads can be notoriously noisy, although this seems unlikely if they are still the original ones.

gph1961, Feb 11, 7:35pm
instead of asking them about the issue say the magic words
can i make a booking to fix my rear brake noise?

saxman99, Feb 11, 8:18pm
A long shot but might be worth a try: get some speed up in reverse and then give the brakes a good stomp. If there’s something caught it may just pop out. If it works it’s a free fix, if it doesn’t there’s no harm done.

nice_lady, Feb 11, 8:33pm
Seems extreme to have the rotors replaced at such low milage.

clark20, Feb 12, 10:53pm
Had to do my Mums rear rotors at 30,000km on a Astra, so soft

mrfxit, Feb 13, 8:25am
My 96 Diesel passenger van is still on it's factory disks at 260K

kazbanz, Feb 13, 9:32am
So you have a 5 year old ute of unknown make or model that has been used for 66000km in an unknown manner.
But either because of driving style,driving conditions or being an issue with the specific vehicle you have already had to replace the front disks.
OK then.
Based on your description above I would get the rear brakes overhauled.

intrade, Feb 13, 10:24am
we had that before older disks pad are wearing pads out if you use the correct ones . new stuff like bmw Wear pad and disc togather and need to be exchanged at higher cost as pair.
pads normally last 25.000km . and no i wont reply to morons who claim there pads lasted 100 million km. they simply dont if pads last longer then 25k they will be wearing the disc out also.
ceramic stuff is a whole different story thats 4000 euro for disc and rotors

intrade, Sep 14, 1:00pm
the fact that no one changes brake fluid every 24 month and some dot 4 state 18 month = the disc will be scrubbing off from rust in calipar as quite a normal thing to happen if brake fluid exchange is ignored. next will be shorted abs units from water rust-brake fluid like the code i read out on the 2012 toyota corolla Short to ground abs unit stability light triangle warning on. as symptom. I said i cant help you that's going to be expensive good luck and goodby.